RPG Maker Forums

Marquise*
Marquise*
Ever played Alpha Centauri on hard mode? Locus... Locus.... Locus swarm
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
You might want to read some Game AI research journal where some of them mentioned that a highly intelligent AI would kill the game because it's too difficult to beat. Thus, AI is tried to be developed around a beatable pattern
Poryg
Poryg
Never played Alpha centauri to be honest. So I don't know :p
Poryg
Poryg
@TheoAllen I know, but the AI is deteriorating. Galactic civilizations 1's AI was highly competitive with the player except for the exploitability. The 2nd game's AI poses no challenge and the 3rd game's AI is even worse. Civilizations VI AI, from what I've heard, is also worse than civ V AI... And it's a game that costs 40+ euro with lots of expensive DLC.
Andar
Andar
Programming a really good AI is extremely difficult even on games with limited data, and if you use brute power for checking every possibility it becomes unbeatable. Just check chess programs, where the map is extremely small, all tiles have the same properties and all units have only one HP and are instakilled by everything - much less rules than a 4X-game or an RPG...
Poryg
Poryg
I know that super perfect AI would be a huge pain... But the AI is actually moving backwards, which is even worse. Also, Starcraft I and Warcraft 3 have a very intelligent AI, which is especially visible on multiplayer. And I don't see people complaining about it at all.
Poryg
Poryg
@Andar An AI can never brute force all possibilities in 4X games. Especially not when there are imbalances. For example if four AI decide to declare war on one, that one AI will not have enough resources to defend itself no matter what, unless its power is considerably larger. These four AI also have to weaken themselves on one side. It's a matter of priorities.
Poryg
Poryg
I'll talk about real examples. Master of Orion - when you were weak or had undefended planets, the AI sent ships in. If you didn't resist, they bombarded you and then sent transports even without war declaration. If you were weak, they eventually declared war too. If you were too powerful, they sent you one message. You're too powerful. Cease expanding or else it's war. And that's how it should go.
Poryg
Poryg
GalCiv 1. You were weak - civilizations demanded tribute. If they were in too many wars though, they left you be. Eventually every game ended up being a fight Good vs. Evil, where all Good were in an alliance and all Evil were alone. Essentially you could survive for very long time with very little costs, because you profit from no military due to low upkeep costs.
Poryg
Poryg
However, if you were strong... They just let you grow even more and dominate them even more. The opposite alignment would never declare a war on you even though it was clear you could overrun them in any moment. And the same alignment, even if the only way to victory is their elimination, liked you for being strong and sharing the alignment with them, even though they had to die and were no match for you.
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
MOO AI is funny, when there is only big nations, all they do are amass a fleet in one large squadron and just go berserk. Leave their planets defenseless, but also going full force on destroying their opponents without mercy
Poryg
Poryg
Well, it is an 8-bit DOS AI, so it can't be not simple. AI's decision making would have taken forever if it did. But exactly, it destroys its opponents without mercy. Psilons on impossible difficulty, especially with a good run, are a force to be reckoned with thanks to their 20% race and 75% special ability tech research boost.
Poryg
Poryg
Although it is true that I still like Meklars more, because their extra 200 factories allow for larger war fleets to be amassed and to overpower enemies with huge numbers of large/huge ships. Unless of course there are Bulrathi and they receive the 32000 large ships glitch.
Nevertheless, a remade MOO has been made, but it's not the same game anymore :(
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Psilon is basically a cheating race, even worse in MOO2 where other races need to pick tech tree, but they can pick em all. I wish I can exclude them in a new game. Silicoid was my fave in MOO, but they nerved in MOO2 by can not make a declaration :(
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
the new remade MOO looked good until the last time I saw there was no grid battle anymore. no grid battle, it's not MOO
Poryg
Poryg
Yup :( I'm thinking of making a 4X game in RPG maker, but I'm just too lazy to actually do it :D
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
AI is the hardest part of making such type of game lmao. If each faction is controlled by player, it should be "easy" to make. But, 4X is not fun without randomized area. I heard MV has procedural map generation?
Marquise*
Marquise*
Alpha Centauri came after Civilization 2 I think and was supposed to be the second chapter of it. It was Sid Meier's job too.
VertigoAffliction
VertigoAffliction
I played a strategy game many years back that was based entirely in step per step strategy. I do not remember the name of the game (I was six or seven back then), but it was enjoyable and it helped curve my hyperactivity.
Hollow 1977
Hollow 1977
Good ai is hard to build. I find this a lot with the yu-gi-oh card games but they are still tough enough to beat me 70% of the time XD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ugh! I have a headache coming on--not sure if it's from the sudden change in weather or caffeine withdraw...only one way to fi d out--Coffee time!
Found this old picture in the plastic case with my medical documents. I don't remember who this character is (I draw a lot of original characters and forgot about them very soon), but I like the design, may be I'll add guy in my game.

reading what makes plugins tick, so you can use other plugins to trigger said plugin... setup up Luna MV to have my own custom ATB Gauges from Yanfly's ATB. cool
It's Easter on Monday. Anybody got any Easter quarantine eggs? It'll also be my birthday, I'll be 31.
Sometimes I feel like I'm using plugins feature the wrong way. But as long as it works tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonaxis