RPG Maker Forums

Ms Littlefish
Ms Littlefish
Agreed. Even if it's just to the mailbox or a bit of granola; it's all going to a good place. If showering is difficult, a splash of water and some deodorant will still do wonders.
Traveling Bard
Traveling Bard
I find that going for a walk & getting just a bit of fresh air + sun helps me out on those "down" days. Same with randomly taking a shower even when I don't really feel like it. Writing too. Go grab a coffee at a local café and write about whatever. Some of mine turn into game or story ideas, the others... still therapeutic.
Amysaurus
Amysaurus
Yesss, that's so important. Even just a walk around campus helps a ton when I'm not feeling up to anything.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
Exactly. We might not be feeling like it, but those basic things can help our wellbeing improve at least by a bit. Like, even if you have no appetite, you have to make yourself eat. And even if you don't want to get out of bed because life feels hopeless, just do it. You'll feel better than staying in it and dwelling on all the bad thoughts.
taarna23
taarna23
Yes they do. They're just really freaking hard to do when you feel like that. Remember to take little steps. Feel good about your achievement for the day being "I took a shorter nap today." Just like making a game isn't done immediately, neither is making ourselves better. Take your time, but always keep moving forward.
starlight dream
starlight dream
I agree those things are helpful. When I'm out I usually feel better, it's the "getting myself out" part that is a struggle. Because while inside, going out feels like it'll be a dreadful experience.
Socializing is another tough one if friends are lacking.
But like @taarna23 said any tiny step is a victory. ^.^
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
Yeah, little steps can get you very far. It's no good jumping straight at the deep end. If you manage to go out to a shop, do some exercise, and eat all 3 daily meals on one of those down days, that's already an accomplishment.
starlight dream
starlight dream
Absolutely, anything healthy will help strengthen the mind and the body, even if it's a small dose at a time :)
Marquise*
Marquise*
*cyber platonical mental hugs* I kinda know... but thanks we do forget that often I suppose. Hope you feel better. (It was a good reminder at the time you wrote the line as I was a bit... errr... half nailed to bed and construction in my bathroom!)
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
@Marquise* : Yeah, I've been noticing that whenever I get setbacks these days in terms of mood or mental health, I can bounce back from them much quicker than in the past. I think knowing how to deal with them over the years greatly helps, so I want to be able to share these tips with other people too in a hope that it may help them also.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
Majority of the time, depression inflicts a lot of damage to a person's mental health because they're unaware of how to deal with it. We simply do according to how we feel, and with a depressive state, it's a trap, and we have to do the exact opposite no matter what. However, this is not something that many people know unfortunately.
taarna23
taarna23
There's even evidence that making yourself smile when you really don't want to, the act of simply putting that smile on your face (even if it feels fake) makes you feel better. It's pretty weird, but also pretty awesome.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
It is, yeah! It's because our physical state and our mental state are linked. Have you ever heard of the power poses? Basically, being in certain poses physically, can in turn improve your mental wellbeing as it alters your hormonal balance. Like the poses with your arms outstretched or anything where you occupy more space, make you feel better, because they reduce cortisol and increase testosterone. :)
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
It's kind of like the "fake it till you make it" method. It goes that "when you feel good, you behave in a certain way", but the reverse effect can also work - if you behave a way you do when you feel good, then your body chemistry is altered to match that state.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."
Did my first script call in an event! :kaopride: It's completely useless and just because I thought it'd be cute if looking at clocks in-game made the character say the real-world time, but it's fully functional scripting and I did it all by myself!
Stream will be going live shortly! I will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, and then I will be switching to a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Spent all day working on something that ultimately has nothing "flashy" to show at the end of it. But that sense of achievement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pineappletopcake