Comments on Profile Post by Alexander Hawksmoor

1. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    The fact that map tiles are shaped like little blocks, makes this problem very difficult to fix.
    Mar 14, 2018
    Gabrelik and The Stranger like this.
  2. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    I'm in the middle of my spider cave map. It's a basic cave map in terms of design and adding details to it isn't an issue, its getting the shape right that's the issue!
    Mar 14, 2018
    starlight dream and The Stranger like this.
  3. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Mar 14, 2018
    starlight dream and Gabrelik like this.
  4. Gabrelik
    Gabrelik
    I like to sketch out my caves first. It may not go together exactly the same way, but it gives me a template to follow as I start the process. :)
    Mar 14, 2018
  5. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    It's partially my perfectionistic attitude that's the problem here. I overthink things way too much!
    Mar 14, 2018
    Gabrelik and The Stranger like this.
  6. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    I find caves tough to design overall.
    If you focus on the purpose of the cave (as in what events take place there) it can give you some ideas.
    Lots of dead-ends? Paths that interconnect? Areas that stand out to help the player locate himself, etc.
    Mar 14, 2018
    Gabrelik likes this.
  7. Gabrelik
    Gabrelik
    I hear you, and I've definitely been there. Lately, my issue is laziness. I spend a great deal of time on each map, and after awhile I get tempted to give into my lazy nature. I get down about it, but then I remind myself that I'll never be as lazy as the guy who came up with the name, "fireplace".
    Mar 14, 2018
  8. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    Caught my 2nd wind, got my outline finished, now I can get the cobwebs added!
    Mar 14, 2018
  9. fimamati
    fimamati
    I don't like writing or mapping because of this block. If I have to deal with a block let it be coders block.
    Mar 14, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  10. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @fimamati Coders block doesn't scare me because someone else can do it for me :p
    Mar 14, 2018
    fimamati and Gabrelik like this.