Comments on Profile Post by Snow White

1. View previous comments
  2. Snow White
    Snow White
    And that colab sounds like a good idea @Gabrelik :)
    As I really like making walking sprites, but I'm terrible at battlers XD

Are you considering making a Setesh/Seth battler sometime in the future? He's always a joy to draw :D (Except when he isn't XD (Chaos Gods amiright? ;))
    Mar 17, 2018
  3. Gabrelik
    Gabrelik
    Mar 17, 2018
  4. Snow White
    Snow White
    That looks so cool!! :D
    Is it Anubis? :)
    Mar 17, 2018
  5. Gabrelik
    Gabrelik
    Was intended to be, but it doesn't really have that, "all powerful" feel to it. Getting more of an, "Acolyte of Anubis" kind of vibe. Eh. It'll work. XD
    Mar 17, 2018
  6. Snow White
    Snow White
    It isn't that far off, but I know the feeling when your painting isn't how you want it be XD
    Mar 17, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  7. Snow White
    Snow White
    If you don't mind though, may I suggest adding a little more colour to his jewelry?
    Ancient Egyptians were pretty in your face when it came to colour :) (Well . . . when it came to everything actually, but you know what I mean XD)
    Apart from that, I think he looks very Anubis :)
    Mar 17, 2018
  8. Snow White
    Snow White
    Mar 17, 2018
    starlight dream and Gabrelik like this.
  9. Snow White
    Snow White
    OK, I'll have see you guys later :rswt
    Bye for now :)
    Mar 17, 2018
  10. Gabrelik
    Gabrelik
    Mar 17, 2018
    Snow White and starlight dream like this.
  11. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    That's a really kickass Anubis battler. :o
    Mar 17, 2018
  12. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @Gabrelik WOW I love your Anubis battler esp. with the crazy twinkle in his eye! You're very very talented.

@Snow White Hahaha Anubis fashion disaster! Worst-dressed of the year 2831 BC. :D

Funny how what we consider the "right look" for him today, has nothing to do with his actual wardrobe. XD
    Mar 17, 2018
    Snow White and Gabrelik like this.
  13. Sharm
    Sharm
    I'm not sure that statue does either. It looks distinctly Roman to me.
    Mar 17, 2018
  14. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @Sharm Did some archaeological google digging. It's a statue of Hermanubis actually (a deity combo of Hermes and Anubis).
    Mar 17, 2018
  15. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Hermanubis is interesting. The Greeks and Romans often assimilated foreign gods into their own pantheon. I'm guessing Hermanubis came about due to the similarities between both Hermes and Anubis.
    Mar 17, 2018
    starlight dream and Snow White like this.
  16. Snow White
    Snow White
    Yes, Greek fashion really doesn't suit Anubis XD

It's strange, but the ancient Greeks when translating the Egyptian myths into Greek sometimes changed the gods names to be the corresponding Greek deities! :D (luckily if you know the Greek gods you can guess who they're meant to be :) )
    Mar 17, 2018
    starlight dream and The Stranger like this.
  17. Snow White
    Snow White
    And that glowing eyed Anubis is pretty badass @Gabrelik!
    (I didn't know you were drawing him at work :D)
    Mar 17, 2018
  18. Snow White
    Snow White
    I guess it would be best for me to start spriting a god you haven't started drawing yet, then I can do the strites for Ra and Anubis once you've got the battlers how you want :)
    Mar 17, 2018
  19. Snow White
    Snow White
    Would you mind if I did Set?
    'Cause I usually draw him with pale skin and his hair loose, but I'm not sure if that's how you see him :)

(But you can't hide that fabulous red hair! @starlight dream would probably agree :p)
    Mar 17, 2018
  20. Snow White
    Snow White
    ( . . . And I just realized I'm that sad nerdy person who not only knows, but knows the reasons behind all of Setesh's iconography XD)
    Mar 17, 2018
  21. Snow White
    Snow White
    And what I've learned from this thread (after I got over the fact it's the longest thead I ever started XD)

Is that most people share my veiw that it's OK to use deities in art and video games as long as you use them in a way that is respectful :)

. . . And that I should make a few more, especially gods from ancient civilizations XD
    Mar 17, 2018
  22. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Seth\Set - god of the desert, storms, general disorder and foreigners. I think he did help Ra out on his solar barge at some point, so he's not all that bad. :p
    Mar 17, 2018
  23. Snow White
    Snow White
    He also protected people who were traveling though the desert lands (Or "red lands" in ancient Egypt (hence the red hair :D) and he's also the guardian of oases :)

But because he's the god of foreigners AND war, he usually fell out of favour when Egypt was under invasion because he was seen as helping the enemy XD
    Mar 17, 2018
  24. Snow White
    Snow White
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers him :D (I am probably the only one here who has painted him as a Chibi though XD)
    Mar 17, 2018
  25. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, many polytheistic faiths had darker or more chaotic deities who were worshipped due to their dominion over certain parts of the world. Hades, for example, was not only the king of the underworld, but the lord of all things below the ground: minerals, etc. I really like the idea of there being no outright evil deity, and that all of the gods serve a purpose on some level.
    Mar 17, 2018
  26. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Yes more redheads please :)
    @Snow White It's great that you know about the gods, it'll translate into your portrayals. I wish more games/stories were created by ppl who knew the myths or history, because they can go beyond the superficial.

We see alot of deity asimiliations with invasions & empires. Romans & Christian empires did it alot. It was a way to bridge cultures with the annexed countries.
    Mar 18, 2018
    Snow White and The Stranger like this.
  27. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @The Stranger It's true, every element of life was kept separate with its own god/ruler. Some aspects were negative like illness, war or misfortune but they weren't ruled by one entity.

@Snow White The depth of this topic shows there's interest (well at least by some civilization geeks among us LOL) for this type of art & resources. :) Thanks for contributing your idea and sprites.
    Mar 18, 2018
    Snow White, Gabrelik and The Stranger like this.
  28. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @starlight dream Yup! It was a positive thing in order to, as you said, bridge the gap between different cultures. Christians assimilated various deities into other spirits, and repurposed various celebrations to hold more Christian meanings. After all, people need to be able to relate to one another if they're gonna live side by side, and what better way to do that than through shared deities and traditions? :)
    Mar 18, 2018
  29. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @The Stranger Exactly.And when the strategy's less tolerant and there's an attempt to eradicate local culture, it causes greater rebellion
    Have you ever read Joseph Campbell? He has written extensively on world mythologies/religions. One thing he has detailed is how religion's connected to the geographical aspect of a country. This explains in part why it's difficult to adopt foreign belief systems or to impose them.
    Mar 18, 2018
  30. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @starlight dream I haven't, no. Is he worth reading? It makes sense that a locally formed religion would be harder to embrace in different lands, because of how religions make use of local geography (places, cultures, people, etc) which simply don't apply to other lands. The more ritualistic and culturally specific a religion is, the harder it is to accept.
    Mar 18, 2018
  31. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @The Stranger Campbell was the most famous mythology professor so he knew his stuff^^

He's known for a book "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" which has been an inspiration/landmark for writers, especially for "heroic" tales. He analyses the hero's journey through myths in that book.
    Mar 18, 2018
  32. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    My fav book of his is "Follow Your Bliss" a nice philosophical approach to what we choose to follow in life as vocation. He's not an extremist and has interesting personal stories to share.

It's not for everyone, it depends if you like academic approaches and psychological theory.
    Mar 18, 2018
  33. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Oh! I remember reading about the hero's journey before, so maybe I've read some of his work and not realised. xD
    Mar 18, 2018
  34. Snow White
    Snow White
    Mar 24, 2018
  35. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Aww, the image links in the post seem to be broken for me. :(
    Mar 24, 2018
    Snow White likes this.
  36. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @Snow White Saw them, Loved them! I'll post in that thread later but at first sight, they look fantastic.
    The one in the red dress is so pretty! ^.^
    Mar 24, 2018
    Snow White likes this.
  37. Gabrelik
    Gabrelik
    I can't see them either. :(
    Mar 24, 2018
    The Stranger and Snow White like this.
  38. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    I can't see them anymore either. Did you upload them in the post directly?
    Mar 24, 2018
    The Stranger and Snow White like this.
  39. Snow White
    Snow White
    I must have done something wrong because they had vanished :kaoswt2:
    Sorry everyone, I've re-uploaded them now, hopefully I've got it right this time XD
    They seem to be visible now at least :)

And I'm glad you liked them @starlight dream :)
    (Trust me, they look even better when you can see them :p)
    Mar 25, 2018
  40. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Ooh, now I can see them. They look rad. I especially like the blinking behaviour sprite.
    Mar 25, 2018
  41. Snow White
    Snow White
    Yay! I was hoping for "rad"!! :MV1:
    I'm glad everyone thinks they look OK :D
    (And I might do blinking sprites for all my edits now 'cause they're quite easy to make and I think they look cute :blush: )
    Mar 26, 2018
    starlight dream and Matseb2611 like this.
  42. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Mar 26, 2018
  43. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    Im more offended at the concept of Soren smiling...(proceeds to walk down the street shaking a bell shouting shame...shame...shame...)
    XD
    Mar 29, 2018
  44. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Mar 29, 2018
  45. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    Don't forget the torches!!!!
    Mar 29, 2018
  46. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Mar 29, 2018
    Snow White likes this.
  47. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    At my signal....unleash HELL!!!
    Mar 29, 2018
  48. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Who me? Uhhhh ok. I can do that! I have hell locked in my basement.

..So it begins!
    Mar 29, 2018
    Snow White likes this.
  49. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    It has begun XD
    Mar 29, 2018
  50. Snow White
    Snow White
    Oh, you two *shakes head*
    . . . *picks up Elfire* You'll need something to light those torches with :D
    Now we are ready! :p
    Mar 29, 2018
  51. Alexander Hawksmoor
    Alexander Hawksmoor
    It has begun....Again!
    Mar 29, 2018