Comments on Profile Post by Faherya

1. View previous comments
  2. Faherya
    Faherya
    This is the point: the block does not exist. It is the lack of something: work, will. It does not mean that you are lazy but that you are procrastinating or that you just do not want to create something at the moment. There is no barrier preventing you from making an effort, nothing controlling you and keeping you out of ideas. This way we will get to the debate on inspiration, but leave this to another day. :D
    Apr 7, 2018
    fimamati and Guiguimu like this.
  3. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Then just because you can't prove it exists, does it mean it doesn't? People believe in God, like me, and I never seen it U.U
    Apr 7, 2018
    fimamati, FleshToDust and Faherya like this.
  4. Faherya
    Faherya
    Okay, I've been refuted now. I can not prove that flying saucers exist, but I'd love to take a spin on one of them. However, going back to the block, realize that believing that it exists does not bring you a single benefit, on the contrary, so I wonder why you would believe in it. '-'
    Apr 7, 2018
  5. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Doesn't make me feel so bad when I have one, so there is a benefit xD having an explanation is better than having none.
    Oh I think I would get sick if I ever had the chance to ride one, but would be awesome to prove aliens exist.
    Apr 7, 2018
    fimamati likes this.
  6. Faherya
    Faherya
    What I'm trying to say is if, when you can not create something, you know it's your fault, check the problem, fix it and know that you've been able to solve a problem you're going to feel even better. ;-;
    Apr 7, 2018
  7. BornstarWish
    BornstarWish
    okay cool heres my first try :)
    lets consider "Block" the only way writers run into to writers block, is if they are trying to get around the block or temporary restriction.
    Apr 7, 2018
  8. fimamati
    fimamati
    @Faherya You are giving solutions on how to over come the problem. How did you get the Idea that writers block don't exist? Is it an experience, a class you took, something you read. I get your point but it's just not saying the mental block don't exist
    Apr 7, 2018
    starlight dream, Faherya and Guiguimu like this.
  9. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    I agree, that is a way to overcome the problem, not a proof it doesn't exist. I can't materialize my problems, but they still exist. I just need to find a way to fix them. Also, if we do need to overcome something, it means it is real, right?
    Apr 7, 2018
  10. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Oh my, my 3 chances are looooooong gone ahah
    Apr 7, 2018
  11. fimamati
    fimamati
    @Faherya Think of the block as a door. Everything you have mentioned are keys to unlocking the door, But not supporting the augment that the door does not exist.
    Apr 7, 2018
  12. BornstarWish
    BornstarWish
    Laziness ,the person's state of mind is in this mode where for example,the person may want to start on that next paragraph. But maybe their tired or they've been working all day.just don't feel like it.when we want something and our body wants another it's very real. at that point our body is blocking us. you may hear people say it's a war.There are soldiers in war, soldiers fight and they work hard to win.
    Apr 7, 2018
  13. Faherya
    Faherya
    I just do not understand the concept: "I'm having a blockage." Has any arasita invaded your brain and is controlling your mind? Do you have any kind of amnesia? Are something literally forbidding you from sitting on your chair and writing? I just can not understand.
    Apr 7, 2018
  14. Faherya
    Faherya
    Using your metaphor, I can say that there is no door. There is an open path that people, for some reason, can not walk without creating problems for themselves.
    Apr 7, 2018
  15. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    No, but the block is about progressing the story we want to develop. Even if I had a bug on my brain, it wouldn't mean I couldn't write (well, doubt someone is able but! Not the point right now). Even if I can sit and write, doesn't mean that what I type is working. Just because I can't imagine how the story will go, doesn't mean I'm suffering from amnesia. It just means I'm blocked and can't progress ^^
    Apr 7, 2018
    starlight dream and Faherya like this.
  16. Faherya
    Faherya
    If what you're writing does not work just delete it and try again until it works. It is this insistence that I do not understand. >.>
    Apr 7, 2018
    Guiguimu likes this.
  17. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    And then, give up? No, I rather be stubborn and fight for what I believe and what I want. Do you simple delete every problem that your life carries? No, you fix them.
    Apr 7, 2018
    Faherya likes this.
  18. Faherya
    Faherya
    Deleting and writing again until it works is the same as solving, in that case.
    Apr 7, 2018
    starlight dream and Guiguimu like this.
  19. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Then it's a solution and not a proof it doesn't exist.
    But again, if we want to progress the story, why would we start over? It would just mean triple the work xD
    Apr 7, 2018
    starlight dream and Faherya like this.
  20. Faherya
    Faherya
    Do not start again, but solve what does not work. Do you remember the rubber in the car exhaust? You do not need to rebuild the entire vehicle, just unclog. If you insists on driving it with the exhaust plugged in a short time it will stop. Then you will have less work building a new one than fixing the old one.
    Apr 7, 2018
    Guiguimu likes this.
  21. fimamati
    fimamati
    @Faherya You have not proven it doesn't. Your supportive statements don't support your argument. You are saying people can over come writers block by finding the problem and solving it. But you have to admire your persistence in trying to help people over come there problem. I like optimistic people and solution seekers. But remember for every solution there's a problem.
    Apr 7, 2018
  22. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    1/5 I'll only use 1 chance :p In multiple replies xD
    Is writer's block something that happens during writing alone? Or does it happen during the entire plotting & writing process? They're not the same.
    In my exp. when I'm writing regularly I have writing sessions that, on average, produce the same amount of work. There is a flow to the writing.
    Apr 7, 2018
    FleshToDust, fimamati and Guiguimu like this.
  23. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    @Faherya Yes, exactly. Again, there is ways to overcome it. Every problem has a solution, we just need to give our best to solve it.
    Apr 7, 2018
    fimamati and starlight dream like this.
  24. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    2/5 Then a day I'm going to be at a loss for words, literally. I know what is supposed to happen but I don't know how to say it. Writing isn't ONLY putting words down, it's sticking to a consistency of mood, rhythm, characters must say INTERESTING things, descriptions must be INTERESTING as well. This is where imagination or sentence ideas freeze.
    Apr 7, 2018
  25. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    3/5 At first it could be one day of so-so writing, the next could be writing things down boringly just to get through, then going back, and retrying, and if the IDEAS do not come, the writing reaches a standstill. Sitting in front of the page and struggling, day after day, doing minimal work.
    In comparison to the regular work flow, this is considered a block.
    Apr 7, 2018
  26. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    4/5 You are right, the block can happen for various reasons and we usually try to figure them out. BUT we're not necessarily capable of FINDING the reason, let alone dealing with it.
    Whatever the reason, the writing block is occurring.
    It's true that if I write with little outline planning, the block's cause may be more obvious to detect.
    Apr 7, 2018
  27. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    5/5 But even with detailed planning it still happens.
    Trying to write quality or keeping things consistent, interesting, isn't perfectionism. It's the very task of wanting to write a story. Unless one is writing for the purpose of putting ANY words on a page. But that's more of a diary.^^
    Apr 7, 2018
    FleshToDust, Guiguimu and Faherya like this.
  28. FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    sometimes ideas can hit you out of nowhere. Like today. I was just standing in a line up waiting for a place to open and BAM I got an incredible mechanic idea.

Other times you can think all day and get nothing.
    Apr 7, 2018
  29. Faherya
    Faherya
    I did not understand that point. In fact, it seems confusing exactly because I do not see the problem itself. You can say this: I am showing you the way with a map, compass, supplies and a GPS. I just do not understand how the person got lost. "Oh, look at a dark, dead-end alley next to this perfectly lit avenue! I'm going in there to see what happens. Just stop looking at the bricks, the way is right behind you.
    Apr 7, 2018
  30. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Apr 7, 2018
  31. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @Faherya I think writing is more like: you have a map, supplies, no compass and no GPS. And you're constantly in the dark. And sometimes an unknown light shines and you follow it, and then you're in the dark again. You can move in the dark and risk falling in a hole or you wait for more light.

Writing is done differently by each writer, so it's hard to generalize technique, inspiration & ideas.
    Apr 7, 2018
    fimamati, Guiguimu and FleshToDust like this.
  32. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @Faherya Also this conversation is making us overlook an important question: who is the cute cat in your profile's pic?:)
    Apr 7, 2018
    Faherya, fimamati and Guiguimu like this.
  33. fimamati
    fimamati
    My english teacher would tell us to take our writing and put it in the freezer. When you run into it again you will then be the reader. If you reread your post as a reader instead of the writer, maybe then you will see you, yourself, admitted to a problem and then stated solutions to solve it.
    Apr 7, 2018
    Guiguimu and starlight dream like this.
  34. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Apr 7, 2018
    Guiguimu and fimamati like this.
  35. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    Great concept you have here, it reminds me of fog, for when fog presents itself while I am heading to work, the visibility almost cease to exist. I am not procrastinating on my way to work, for if that was the case, I would call out, thus putting the task off for another day...
    Apr 7, 2018
  36. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    I am also not exhibiting laziness, for that would excuse the fact that I am willingly using my energy to fight through the elements to arrive early. Hence, the definition of laziness is to be 'unwilling to work or use energy'. So that scratches those two possibilities off the list.
    Apr 7, 2018
  37. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    Now a unwise one, could act as if he doesn’t see the danger and continue to operate as normal, thus speeding his way through the block, acting as if it doesn’t exist, however would this actual help him? For just because he ignores it, doesn’t mean it will go away and it’s isn’t a problem/challenge that needs to be addressed.
    Apr 7, 2018
  38. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    How does this compare? Well, the only way one can experience the fog as an obstacle, is if he needs to get through it to proceed, unlike one who casually looks out his window, and experiences the fog as a beautiful addition to his day.
    Apr 7, 2018
  39. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    Now to the point, writers block is real, in that it is like fog, for a person only experiences it as a block, because they are trying to get somewhere. However, this very challenge is what brings us new and better things. Our mind as creators typically center around breaking the loop, not creating the same thing John made yesterday.
    Apr 7, 2018
  40. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    Let’s define Block, “an obstacle to the normal progress or functioning of something.”
    The thing about the field of creativity is we typically are trying to pull things out of the air, unlike one who is a doctor, who follows a strict standard, which explains why a doctor, wouldn’t experience ‘medical block’, for they always know what the next step would be, normally causing the same result.
    Apr 7, 2018
  41. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    However with writers and artists, we are constantly using our imagination to introduce new ideas to the world, when we fight to come up with these ideas or put them into easy, yet intriguing words, we are experiencing a block; hence an obstacle to our normal progress. If we noticed it, it can only be because we are trying to get through it.
    Apr 7, 2018
  42. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    As for perfection, that is debatable, for what’s perfect to you, may not be perfect to me and vice versa. If I am writing a book about an experience already covered in another person’s book, I may be extra conscience of how I write it, but is their book perfect and is it because I wrote mines, that mines is perfect?
    Apr 7, 2018
  43. FralKritic
    FralKritic
    That is my first try, sorry it was sooo long O.O didn't realize it'd have to go into so many comments >.>
    Apr 7, 2018
  44. Faherya
    Faherya
    It has already been said that it does not exist, but it is only the lack of something, that it exists, but I do not see and yet propose solutions, that I have not proved that it does not exist suggesting these same solutions and I still do not see the problem . That is, we will stay in this discussion all day and we will not get anywhere.
    Apr 7, 2018
  45. Faherya
    Faherya
    I still can not see where that lock is, the thing that - by definition - literally stops you from creating something. By the way, the cat's name is Almost_a_Dog.
    Apr 7, 2018
  46. fimamati
    fimamati
    @starlight dream He was a good teacher. strict! but good. English is not my thing but the way he taught it made it feel like a breeze.
    Apr 7, 2018
  47. Faherya
    Faherya
    I did not expect so many comments. I will organize this discussion better so that I can respond to everyone.
    Apr 7, 2018
  48. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    You should have created a thread, @Faherya, this is such a great discussion and in a thread it would be better organized and people wouldn't have the character limit.
    Apr 7, 2018
  49. Faherya
    Faherya
    I would create, but I wrote two articles on the subject a while ago and it would be cool if I included them. I'll see if I can translate for English before.
    Apr 7, 2018
  50. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Pretty awesome! I would like to read both. Link here then, in case I miss the thread, please.
    Apr 7, 2018
  51. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @FralKritic That was a nice analogy of the process. I related to it.

@Faherya Yes it will make a good discussion, it's already very interesting. :) It's hard to explain things with character limits
    Apr 7, 2018
    FralKritic, fimamati and Faherya like this.