Comments on Profile Post by Parallax Panda

1. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    See with which one you get along better ^^
    Apr 7, 2018
  2. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Guiguimu Yeah I wish it was that simple. I've come to the following conclusion: Khas advanced lightning is nice, but doesn't work well on low-spec laptops without graphic cards (lags on my laptop). Terrax doesn't lag but doesn't work with TDD's"BindPicturesToMap", and that (old and unfortunately abandoned) plugin is vital to the game.
    Apr 7, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Guiguimu like this.
  3. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    Hence I either need to find someone (and most likely pay someone) to either update that old "BindPicturesToMap" plugin to be compatible, or just make a new one which is. OR, find and test another lightning plugin (not Terrax and not Khas). OR... use Khas and accept that the game wont runt on people who use "office laptops" that are a few years old. Difficult choices!
    Apr 7, 2018
  4. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    Oh I see... Yeah Khas is a little heavy...
    I have to admit that I know nothing regarding plugins, but swamping from TDD Bind Pictures to Map to Kaus Ultimate Overlay isn't an option?
    An alternative is to create the light effect yourself, don't know if that is a possibility...
    Apr 7, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Parallax Panda like this.
  5. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Guiguimu I'm afraid I'm not using the old "BindPicturesToMap" plugin for parallax mapping, but to actually bind pictures to the map (so they don't move with the screen. I'm using this method to create a Fog of War kinda effect by changing the opacity on the pictures and that's not something other plugins meant for parallax mapping can do. I'm also using Galv's LayerGraphics for normal parallax mapping needs :)
    Apr 7, 2018
  6. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    It's possible to make a primitive lightning effect of course by just tinting the screen and creating a black image with a transparent circle around the player. But it's far from a good solution an I think I'd run into problem when you get closer to the edge of the maps where and the picture would stop moving. Also it doesn't allow for light sources on other events which is a bummer.
    Apr 7, 2018
  7. Guiguimu
    Guiguimu
    I understand your struggle... Well, try to request an update or a compatibility patch for Terrax and TDD, maybe someone can help you for free. Trying doesn't hurt and who knows? If that doesn't go well, you can always go with Khas plugin, even if heavy...
    I wish I could help you more... :/
    Apr 7, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  8. Sauteed_Onion
    Sauteed_Onion
    I am interested in all of this as well. I was interested in a particular plug in but was edumacated about it. So I have no lighting plug in for now. Perhaps we will see. I don't want to have like epic lighting effects all over the place, but I did have an idea or two.
    Apr 8, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Guiguimu like this.
  9. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Guiguimu I'll try that, but for now I'll focus on the more important elements such as getting my basic maps functional. Functionality before fancy effects after all.
    @Sauteed_Onion If you want fancy lightning I think Khas advanced lightning is the only one there is. But as have been said, it can be rather performance heavy!
    Apr 8, 2018
    Guiguimu and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  10. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Maybe you can get more advice or suggestions in the forums. Although if you keep scratching your head an idea is bound to appear! :)
    Apr 8, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Parallax Panda like this.
  11. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @starlight dream You're right. I'll probably end up asking in the forums eventually if I don't find a solution on my own. But opening a new thread and surveilling it takes time that is probably better spent finishing my first demo (even without lightning if necessary) right now. I want feedback from all the onions as soon as possible after all :)
    Apr 8, 2018
  12. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    That is true, it's something you can implement later. There's no point on getting stuck over 1 technicality at this point. The onions are stirring with impatience! ;)
    Apr 8, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Sauteed_Onion like this.