Comments on Profile Post by Parallax Panda

1. ashm
    ashm
    4 is old and busted. Go with 3 like all cool kid
    Apr 21, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Parallax Panda like this.
  2. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @ashm Haha, yeah I guess that's one argument for a party of 3 if there ever was one! But I also think there's a reason why many JRPG's tend to have 4 party members. I think 3 might work, but I'm afraid it also limits possible interactions and combat strategies. Doesn't it feel a little... few?
    Apr 21, 2018
  3. ashm
    ashm
    If you have short game, go with 3. If you need more just use script for swapping member.
    Apr 21, 2018
  4. Milennin
    Milennin
    Personally, I way prefer having 3 party members.
    Apr 21, 2018
  5. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    I don't know if i'd say it's a short game. It's not yet finished obviously so I don't know exactly how long it'll be, but I'm aiming for at least 7+ hours which I'd say isn't *that* short for a finished RM-game.

In battle I too think 3 wouldn't be a problem. What I'm more concerned about is that a party of 4 has much more possibilities for banter/relationships/story hooks than just 3.
    Apr 21, 2018
  6. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Milennin Any specific reason why you prefer only 3 party members? Especially compared to adding just one more to make it a party of 4?
    Apr 21, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  7. Sauteed_Onion
    Sauteed_Onion
    Well, if there is really only room for 3, then 3 it is. Meow!
    Apr 22, 2018
    Parallax Panda likes this.
  8. The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    I like having 3 party members because it lets you plan more around team composition. Suddenly you have to think about who to bring because your options are limited. (also makes balancing easier imo)
    Apr 22, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  9. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @The Mighty Palm I guess that would be true if there were more than 3 to choose from. But I'm not planning for any extra actors. If it's 3 then it's 3, if it's 4 then it's 4.

Maaaaybe there would be a temporary guest in the party early on...maybe. But that's about it :)
    Apr 22, 2018
  10. The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    well in that case you can use it as an excuse to make your characters unique. Make a hybrid class by combining 2 characters abilities into one.
    Apr 22, 2018
  11. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    I guess I'd have to do something like that with only 3 characters. There will be more focus and usage out of each one compared to a team of four so to justify it you'd have to make them pretty interesting, both mechanically and story-wise. I've decided to give it a try though, because it seems to be my best choice.

Thanks for your input!
    Apr 22, 2018
  12. Milennin
    Milennin
    @Parallax Panda, 3 characters can fill up the traditional trinity of tank, healer and attacker. What's a 4th going to add? Not saying that 4 is bad, or that it can't work, I just don't think it's necessary, and that going with 3 is totally fine.
    Apr 22, 2018
  13. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    You could have 4 characters, and the player chooses 3 to be in the party at a time. Or you force which 3 are in the party at a time, to control their interactions?
    Apr 22, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  14. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Milennin That's true I guess. What the forth member can be used for is to have some different class that makes the traditional trinity more complex. Usual roles would be some kind of thief or mage/wizard I guess.
    Apr 22, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  15. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @starlight dream Oh, but I don't like to have people sitting on the bench! It feels like they're not being used. I'm OK with people temporary leaving and being replaced because of scripted events though. :)
    Apr 22, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.