Nightblade50 likes this.
  2. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Yep.
    May 4, 2018
    Nightblade50 likes this.
  3. Mrs_Allykat
    Mrs_Allykat
    Maybe, but it did serve a greater purpose in that it is the title that re-ignited interest in RPG's during it's era, and on our side of the pond.

After it was released we saw a plethora of RPG's released in the west that would not have happened without the commercial success of FFVII. No other Final Fantasy title had as much market impact as VII.
    May 4, 2018
    SpaceBot and starlight dream like this.
  4. Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    To explain what I meant in more detail: A lot of "classic fans" sheep on it and call it awful, when it is actually a really good game. A lot of people who played it as their first RPG consider it the greatest game of all time.

It's amazing how little middle ground on the game there is. I like the game quite a lot but there are so many better games.
    May 4, 2018
  5. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    I find it difficult to be fair about FFVII.
    It has flaws like all games. But it influenced and impacted RPGs so much, that it deserves a standout recognition. In my mind there's a pre-ff7 era and a post ff7 era for rpgs.

At the time it was extremely enjoyable and hailed as the best rpg released in history. It has a lot of depth as a game and has landmark characters.
    May 4, 2018
    Marsigne, SpaceBot and GuanyuMaker like this.
  6. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    It's hard to compare it to anything (even to other ff games).
    Story+mechanics can be compared. But its success and influence is special.. <3
    May 4, 2018
    Marsigne, GuanyuMaker and Mrs_Allykat like this.
  7. GuanyuMaker
    GuanyuMaker
    Games successful and relevant as that usually receives more intense criticism and polarization goes crazy on it =) . There is better games than it, but it was the first really good rpg with really good graphics. While even in the same console there was better rpgs and graphics later, that one was the first and it changed how rpgs are done forever =p
    May 4, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  8. Mrs_Allykat
    Mrs_Allykat
    I think Fuzzy is absolutely correct, and it's a testament to how well the game was initially received.

The thing to keep in mind is that at the time there was little in the way of competition. The Saturn was already dead in the water, so Grandia (better game) didn't really see the light of day. Ocirana of Time (N64) was still 2yrs away from release.
    May 4, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  9. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    @Mrs_Allykat True. Many games are successful for that reason: they are the best the industry can provide at the time, compared to the competition.
    FF7 was the first rpg I recall that was massively advertised in the media.

There are several things I dislike about ff7 (I played it some years after its release).
    But its influence was big and long-lasting, for good reasons I think.
    May 4, 2018
    GuanyuMaker likes this.
  10. iBanMido
    iBanMido
    my friend bet me a steak dinner that I couldn’t beat ruby weapon, so I’m currently going through the game on the PS4. Thankfully for the speed up X 3 feature for Knights of the Realm lol
    May 8, 2018