RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
Where did you get to?
cabfe
cabfe
I gave up in the Gizamaluke's grotto. The boss was just needlessly OP and with such a broken combat system, I just quit.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Is that the giant snakey thing you fight on the way to Burmecia? I think you have that rat woman, Freja, in your party. If so, I found that boss kinda difficult, too.
cabfe
cabfe
Yes, that's the one. I kept healing my party, but the ATB is so broken, they never act when you need it.
The Stranger
The Stranger
He spammed an aoe water attack when I fought him, but I think you can silence him.
cabfe
cabfe
I'll switch to FF X/X-2 now. It can't be worse. Positive thinking of the day after the FF9 fiasco: it's more hours to spend on other games!
Tarq
Tarq
That can be a bit of difficulty spike possibly; You can get a party member early just before that area so its balanced for that I suppose.
Can't really call an ATB broken though; you act whenever you want with it. In case you didn'tknow you can skip to the next available character by pressing triangle so you can always keep your healer ready if necessary.
cabfe
cabfe
@Tarq I've had a party member severely wounded, had the next other ready so I chose a potion, it took forever for him to act, the enemy stuck again->KO and my potion got used on a non needing character... Rinse and repeat, I quit.
bgillisp
bgillisp
I think you may have forgotten that ATB does turns in the order they are input. Sure, maybe you selected the healer, but if the enemy input a turn while you were finding the heal command, then they go first. FF7 and FF8 do the exact same thing, at least when I played them.
cabfe
cabfe
@bgillisp FF7 had everything on pause while you were in the menu (if you select an action first, not the basic combat menu). It saved my life several times. FF9 doesn't pause even on Wait setting :(
bgillisp
bgillisp
The wait setting might be broken then. I don't know as I played ff9 when I was like 15 years younger so I didn't use wait. Still, probably best to move on to another game.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Though this does show why I feel ATB is a broken system, and I honestly just laugh when I hear people say it is the perfect battle system. A battle system that the enemy will always get more turns than you at equal Agility (as the computer selects commands in 0 time) is perfect? Hahahahaha.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, not a fan of ATB systems. I like to take my time with deciding which skills and items to use, and don't want to be beaten to a pulp because I'm not as quick as the computer.
Mrs_Allykat
Mrs_Allykat
ATB certainly had it's issues. There were better systems, even at the time, for keeping the player engaged with in-game combat. Though the FFVII was likely the best version.
cabfe
cabfe
I've changed game and am now playing FF10, and it's much better. The new system (CTB?) is fairer than ATB. No surprise as to who acts when. The story and characters are also better so far, although that's not difficult to beat. FF9's are so bad, I can't even start...
The Stranger
The Stranger
@cabfe LOL! You really didn't enjoy FF9 at all. XD
Mrs_Allykat
Mrs_Allykat
That reminds me, I should get the Grandia II remake on the PC. It's been a while since I've played that title :)
cabfe
cabfe
@The Stranger I gave it its chance, for more than 10 hours, but even if it went a bit better storywise, the dialogue and the combat were still bad. No point in continuing, I'm not the right audience. But I like FF10 so far, so it's not just my mood I guess.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@cabfe The main story stays fairly generic, but I liked some of the characters and their personal stories. FFX is okay. I really liked it as a kid, but I tried playing it again recently and couldn't stand it. Wakka and Tidus really got on my nerves.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
Lol! Ah well, everyone's tastes do indeed differ. I agree on the ATB system comments. Not a fan of it either.
FFX is pretty great. Didn't really like Tidus or Yuna, but then FFIX also had bland main protag and his love interest. I like the supporting characters in both better.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I try to check out 2-3 projects from the Games In Development forum every fortnight. I usually don't spend more then 30 minutes to an hour on each project, but I do try to leave a comment to share my thoughts on each one I check out. I usually just pick whatever catches my eye, but if you're reading this and would like a little feedback on your project in development let me know and I'll see if I can check it out :)
I drew Resident Evil 2 style lock for my horror game. (Pixels intended)
I wake up to see I now have 73 subscribers on YouTube, that means I've gained 67 subs in the last two days. :LZSexcite:
With all this practice, I'll be hitting competitive in social distancing soon.
Ugh! I have a headache coming on--not sure if it's from the sudden change in weather or caffeine withdraw...only one way to fi d out--Coffee time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LastKingOfScotland