Comments on Profile Post by lunarrosecrow

1. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I've studied aikido, taekwondo, boxing and mma. Among them mma and aikido are the most useful for actual self defense training but to be honest the basics are the basics no matter what you practice. There's a lot of overlap in the martial arts to begin with. You aren't gonna combine them and become Chuck Norris suddenly.
    Jun 8, 2018
    SpaceBot, lunarrosecrow and Marsigne like this.
  2. lunarrosecrow
    lunarrosecrow
    which is true and all but at the same time there are different styles that use grappling over hand to hand combat, deadly killing styles, ones that focus on counters, street styles, there are a lot that could be combined there is no way someone who takes taekwondo will do anything a boxer or someone who takes judo can do.
    Jun 8, 2018
  3. lunarrosecrow
    lunarrosecrow
    so its a matter of opinion if you could combine two to make your own ultimate martial art which would it be, Excluding gun kata... cause if you have a gun you don't need martial arts anyway
    Jun 8, 2018
  4. SpaceBot
    SpaceBot
    JKD, TKD, KSW, WT.
    In no order, I couldn't only pick two.
    Jun 8, 2018
  5. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Alright I'll bite. I'd say mma mixed with anything traditional. The reason is because mma practitioners come from diverse array of traditional martial arts backgrounds and you end up sparring against people with all kinds of disciplines. You need the basics that a traditional dojo teaches you to be competitive but you learn a lot more about self-defense in a high stakes match than an exhibition.
    Jun 8, 2018
    SpaceBot likes this.
  6. SpaceBot
    SpaceBot
    I'm actually impressed you guys knew the acronyms I used.
    Also, being someone who does martial arts, I agree with you Vagus. I can't say I'm much of an mma fan, however, what you said makes complete sense to me because I used to be friends with someone who did mma and went to his practices a few times.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  7. SpaceBot
    SpaceBot
    Bruce Lee kind of did what you're taking about when he created JKD @lunarrosecrow so I also take an understanding with your point of view as well.
    Jun 8, 2018
  8. Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    @SpaceBot What I didn't say is that knee replacement surgery eventually rendered me incapable of continuing mma as my left leg randomly stops supporting my weight under stress, so there is certainly justifiable reason to be leery of full contact sparring as well. I've always wanted to get into JKD myself, never could find a local dojo. Started WT 2 months before surgery wreaked me though. I miss MA :(
    Jun 8, 2018
    SpaceBot likes this.
  9. SpaceBot
    SpaceBot
    @Philosophus Vagus oh man, that's awful! WT is by far my favorite, I never got to the sparring part, and I dabbled in TKD. Moving kind of jacks up how long I was able to be in classes. I'm hoping I can start up again eventually.
    These last two days I've wanted to spar some people lol but that's a whole other story... >:(
    Jun 8, 2018