Comments on Profile Post by NeoFantasy

1. Sharm
    Sharm
    Me too.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and NeoFantasy like this.
  2. cabfe
    cabfe
    Nobody likes to catch a cold IRL either. That's natural.
    Jun 8, 2018
    NeoFantasy likes this.
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    I don't get anxious even when I get hacked. Instead I just start laughing :D
    Jun 8, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Marsigne like this.
  4. Poryg
    Poryg
    When Avast let two trojan viruses through to my tablet with just a warning that the apps might be infected, my ICQ got hacked. Not sure what exactly did the hack do, but whatever. When I found out through noRoot firewall, noticed that one app was sending unusually high data to Russia, I uninstalled Avast, installed Eset, eset found two trojans. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled my ICQ.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Marsigne like this.
  5. Poryg
    Poryg
    Simple as that, hacked no more. Avast gained a negative review from me on google play store, the hacker received an applause. From that point on I use Eset for virus protection on android (it's a good protection for free as well) and noroot firewall to scan my apps' traffic from time to time :)
    Jun 8, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  6. NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    I generally use Avast, so I’m sad to hear it didn’t catch those Trojans. Though I’m having a hard time with a piece of malware known as Genieo for Mac. I’ve had both avast and malwarebytes recognize and delete it, but it keeps on popping up.
    Jun 9, 2018
  7. Sharm
    Sharm
    If you had a PC I'd say boot up into safe mode first to delete it so it can't have access to the thing that reinstalls it, but I don't know if Macs have an equivalent.
    Jun 9, 2018
  8. NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    I’m fairly certain they do, but I don’t know if that would help. I’ve cleared all of it’s files from the Mac but whever it restarts I get a prompt to install it and some fake Java update which brings you to a very legit looking apple page. So I need to figure out whatever is giving me this dayum prompt. Though according to both anti-viruses the computer is now clean.
    Jun 9, 2018
  9. Poryg
    Poryg
    In windows there would be only two options - registry or programs that are supposed to launch on startup. Programs that are supposed to launch on startup are capable of bypassing some antiviruses. Also, due to the fact that the installers are packaged, it's verybhard to detect viruses from them, so antivirus will say the computer is clean.
    Jun 9, 2018
  10. Poryg
    Poryg
    Btw. Avast on pc is a very decent antivirus, one of the best free ones. Only on android it's rather weak, even though according to support it has more than 80% find rate.
    Eset has never failed me so far and I think I'll be getting it for pc as well, once I get my new pc and enough money for it. It's slower than Avast, but more efficient and not as resource hungry.
    Jun 9, 2018
  11. NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    Yeah, I checked through the Launch agents and launch daemons folders and the only files present are for the anti-virus and Oracle java which I’m fairly certain is legit. I scanned it with avast and it says it’s fine, though just to be safe when I next get access to the computer So i’ll remove it and see what happens.
    Jun 9, 2018