RPG Maker Forums

Matseb2611
Matseb2611
To put it into perspective, correlations can only range from -1 to +1. So a correlation of +0.9 is extremely strong, to the point that it could be the sole reason for the two things correlating.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
Considering the fact that most murders are committed for financial gain of some kind this is unsurprising and a little bit obvious. It has been that way since the beginning of time, it'll be that way till humans either die out or evolve beyond the need for wealth and social constructs entirely-if that's even possible.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
Yeah, but it's kind of unsettling how much of an effect it has on society and yet it continues being ignored and instead people blame it on racial or cultural differences.
Also how there are no effective known solutions as of now aside from war, revolution, or epidemic, none of which are good options for society.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
It's always easier to be tribal about our problems unfortunately. I also find it disheartening that in the first world where our technically poor live posher lives than the wealthiest elites just a hundred odd years ago we still haven't really made a dent on that disparity, we've merely shifted the primary catalyst from need to envy.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
I think that's part of our nature. It's not so much if your current conditions are good or bad, but how your conditions and place in society compares to other people. There are actual biological triggers that make us feel better or worse through hormonal signalling depending on where we're located on a social ladder. How crazy is that?
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
So if you're at the bottom of the hierarchy, you'll be getting less serotonin in the brain and therefore feel worse and worse as time goes. Whereas if you're at the top, you'll be getting hormonal signals associated with pleasure. It's why some people get high on a power trip. It's like an addiction.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
Do you happen to have any links to studies of those biological triggers based on social hierarchy? I'm curious about that, haven't heard of the like before.

In a way though it makes sense, I've been at or near the bottom of that ladder most of my life, dealt with a lot of depression and anxiety that I'd medicate through cannabis, which ironically messes with serotonin absorption in the brain.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
And I've found that the more stable I become (in the last couple of years I've made leaps and bounds financially speaking) from a societal standpoint the less I'm smoking oddly enough yet without nearly the anxiety that I used to smoke to stave off. Be interesting to see if there was a correlation there, and just to read about something I haven't heard before.
Marquise*
Marquise*
You know what consolate me or is better than any happy pill here? *cybermental hugs* that folks like you and Jordan Petersen can word better than this humble graphic artist can tell anyone in constant net nervousness case! ^^
starlight dream
starlight dream
@Philosophus Vagus Having been at the bottom much, I'd say it's definitely an anxiety trigger. I mean anxiety is mainly worries, so the harder it is to meet basic needs, the more worried and stressed the thoughts become. Depression could even be a switch (imo) that happens in order to counter and slow down the overactive nerves or out of exhaustion from the anxiety.
starlight dream
starlight dream
When I became more stable financially, the anxiety lessened considerably.
But I definitely feel not capable enough to get what I want in life, which is depressing.
I don't know if it's comparison to others that causes it or simply a lack of needs met.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
@Philosophus Vagus : I've read about it Jordan Peterson's book '12 Rules for Life'. He explains about the social hierarchy among lobsters there and how it dates millions of years back and that their nervous system has a lot of similarities to ours (to the point that antidepressants can work on them too).
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
And he talks about how their place in hierarchy affects the hormonal signalling in their nervous system and how much of a similar effect happens in humans. These things are deeply biological and span across millions of years across the animal kingdom. I can try to find the actual papers where this research is done.
Matseb2611
Matseb2611
@starlight dream : I'd say it's both. Not having your basic needs met is going to take its toll on you as well. Have you heard of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? It ranks all our needs based on priority. So tier 1 (highest priority) are things like air, water, food, sleep. Then it goes to safety, order, then to relationships and family, then to career success, and lastly self-actualization.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So... I work for 8 hours a day, but apparently I'm "too noisy" for people staying home all day and I need to be quiet or they will escalate things. o_O People be dumb.
Had no time to work more on my Redwood tiles yesterday and no time yet still today--But! Somehow found time to make sit health potion props.
Today I learned that George Washington was not the first president of my country, and that there were technically over a dozen presidents before him. My own ignorance astounds me, I mean it always does but the sheer scope of this revelation astounds me. I guess George Santayana really was quite astute when he said:
Currently enjoying FF7 Remake :biggrin:
Day 753: I think im just about ready to finish the planning stage of my game creation and actually start to make it :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyuKino