Comments on Profile Post by Zebestian

1. Sauteed_Onion
    Sauteed_Onion
    What's up Z! Meow with me.
    Jun 17, 2018
    Marsigne and starlight dream like this.
  2. Zebestian
    Zebestian
    Oh, just the typical fare of "wow you're expensive, I know a guy who will make you a 2 minute song for 20 bucks"... Like, I know it's cheaper but is my time worth nothing? Is my music worth nothing? Maybe I'm just gonna lower my rates at this point.
    Jun 17, 2018
  3. taarna23
    taarna23
    A lot of people do think that way, because they don't know the work involved, and don't care. The ones that underprice ruin it for everyone else. It's the same with any kind of creative work. I go up against people that are willing to sell for marginally more than the cost of supplies. I keep creating but the result is I have a jewelry hoard that could impress a dragon and no clue what to do with it.
    Jun 17, 2018
  4. SmashArtist
    SmashArtist
    You shouldn't feel pressured to change because of just one comment like that. Stick with your rates and if you think lots of people are being put off by the price then think about changing it.
    Jun 17, 2018
  5. Zebestian
    Zebestian
    That's exactly why I refuse to lower my rates, but maybe I'm really being unreasonable. Taking the cost of a full body artwork for a one minute song isn't bad though, right?
    Jun 17, 2018
  6. SmashArtist
    SmashArtist
    Con. - After all only you really know how much work goes into making your music, anyhow if anyone wants such great quality music that only you can make then they will most likely be willing to pay the price. You have amazing skills and creativity! :D .. con-
    Jun 17, 2018
  7. SmashArtist
    SmashArtist
    Maybe take a check at other music prices and see how much they're asking, also make sure to take in account the quality of the work they are selling!
    Jun 17, 2018
  8. djDarkX
    djDarkX
    Yeah, I can tell you that most people have no idea what is involved in working with music. I really only do remasters for now, but I have an attention for detail and it reflects in the tracks I preview every so often. It takes a LOT of time to do that, especially when you have to deconstruct one track into several for many different articulations, styles and so on. ->
    Jun 17, 2018
  9. djDarkX
    djDarkX
    -> When you're making your own music, it's the same, but you are making your notes on the fly, so you know how it's going to sound already and what to do. Remasters, you have to listen to the music, figure out how to bring out it's true potential and so on. All this is difficult and you should be paid a good price for your time. ->
    Jun 17, 2018
  10. djDarkX
    djDarkX
    -> Sometimes, those that charge much less probably have less professional libraries where they lay a single VST instrument with a single articulation and just render it. If you feel in your gut that your music is worth it, you shouldn't have to reduce your prices. There are others that will ask for your music, so don't worry! Keep at it.
    Jun 17, 2018
  11. Verdelite
    Verdelite
    If he says something like "XY only charges [small amount]!", then why didn't he comission XY in the first place? Chances are, the quality is lower and he prefers your work... but he's a cheapskate that can't appreciate/doesn't realise how much work goes into your music.
    Jun 17, 2018
  12. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    I agree with the comments here, and I agree with @Verdelite twice.
    Your rates are not high, they are the norm.
    Don't get discouraged from comments like that, some clients may try to pressure you to give them a lower deal. It's not very professional to complain to someone about his rates. Have you ever gone for a coffee & argued how another shop costs less so they should give you the coffee cheaper? o_O
    Jun 17, 2018
    Marsigne, Sauteed_Onion and Verdelite like this.
  13. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    You can change your rates when & IF you want to. But not because of someone's opinion who doesn't know the work you put into it.
    Once in a while you'll get a whiny comment don't take it to heart(it happens to everyone). Of course be polite and if you want, explain that rates may change in the future but now it's the best you can offer.
    But practice letting such criticism go quickly and it will get easier with time :)
    Jun 17, 2018
    Marsigne, Sauteed_Onion and Verdelite like this.
  14. Zebestian
    Zebestian
    @Verdelite they didn't commission them in the first place because they didn't know about them. I was talking to someone about commissions and a third person brought up the "guy who can do it for cheap", which is even more frustrating imo
    Jun 17, 2018
  15. Sauteed_Onion
    Sauteed_Onion
    Well, I'm not hunting for music at the moment but when I am, I'll be hunting you down Z. I've heard and seen enough to know you take this shindiggle serious, and you got a flare for the whimsical in some of you stuff that nails what I'm looking for. And nothing is worth NOT having a song like that where I want it. Meow. Love your stuff Z.
    Jun 18, 2018
  16. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    Imo you're one of the top composers on this site even if you're fairly new. So you deserve every dollar.
    Gotta be wary of cheap deals too because of plagiarism & similar problems, so unless someone has good references, low prices can be questionable.
    Jun 18, 2018
  17. Zebestian
    Zebestian
    @Sauteed_Onion @starlight dream thank you guys, you're really, really nice to me! And being called one of the "top composers" here is quite flattering but I don't think I am XD But seriously though, thank you all! <3
    Jun 18, 2018