Comments on Profile Post by Parallax Panda

1. Mrs_Allykat
    Mrs_Allykat
    I would like to see some games with it too! I know they're out there.
    Jun 28, 2018
    Marsigne and Parallax Panda like this.
  2. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    the tiles have been out since 2015 so there should be at least a few projects where they've been used. I'm very curious as to how people have been using them. Want some inspiration myself!
    Jun 28, 2018
    Mrs_Allykat likes this.
  3. Mrs_Allykat
    Mrs_Allykat
    Maybe not in my current project, but I could see using the POP resources to build a video game inside of another game. That would be super neato! "Harold Gets a Video Game!" hahaha
    Jun 28, 2018
    Parallax Panda likes this.
  4. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Jun 28, 2018
  5. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Mrs_Allykat Since they got that retro feel they'd surely fit as graphics for a game within a game if you'd like to make a reality out of that! :)
    Jun 28, 2018
  6. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 Ah, I've seen that before, now that I come to think of it. It's mostly battles though right? So not a lot of mapping examples and such?

Did the browser game pay off, or was it a (commercial) flop from the business perspective"?
    Jun 28, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  7. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Thanks. Yeah, mostly just battles. Though perhaps in the future I'll make a longer game with these tiles.
    And yeah, you could say it's closer to being a commercial flop. Even Renegade Grounds did better. :p I didn't spend much on it ($80 on 4 music tracks and about $15 or so on the tiles), but at the same time it hasn't really made anything. I'll ask my publisher on the exact sum, but it'll be around $1-2 I think.
    Jun 28, 2018
  8. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 Wow... 1-2$ is pretty much nothing! :D
    The cost o the tileset you could still eat if you're going to use it again, right? But the money for the music tracks probably will remain in the red?

Well, I assume it was mostly exploring new ground for you and it's not too much money so you'll be fine I'm sure.
    Jun 29, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  9. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I want to make a game with the tiles too, but not a horror-zombie game specifically. But the style of the tiles mostly lend itself to either horror or maybe dystopia (since it's so grey:Ish... kinda sad). So I'm not sure what to do with that.

The tiles are beautiful, but I've a hard time figuring out a story and setting they'd fit into basically.
    Jun 29, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  10. starlight dream
    starlight dream
    I know I've seen a demo using Pop on Driftwood's channel, I'll have to go and retrieve it for you :)
    Jun 29, 2018
  11. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah, in creative avenues, you have to experiment a bit. And this was an experimentation that flopped. On the other hand, other times things worked out really well (like trying out a romance sim Snares of Ruin). But yeah, I still enjoyed the creation process of Shuffle Scuffle and some people enjoyed it, so even if it might not make that ~$100 back, it's a baby I'm proud of. :)
    Jun 29, 2018
  12. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @starlight dream Ohh! Will you do that for me?
    *Panda claps his pawns out of excitement*
    Jun 29, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  13. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    That's why I think it's important to spread the risk. Not put all your time and all your money in one project, because you don't know if it will pay off or not, especially if you're still a rather unknown indie developer.
    And regarding the tileset, yeah, it would fit a more grimy or post-apocalyptic setting better. For more light-hearted stories, you might want to try Time Fantasy tiles perhaps.
    Jun 29, 2018
  14. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I guess making games is a passion (even if you're in it partly for the money), so in that sense every completed game is a success in a way.

Also releasing a game, whether it makes back the money or not, is probably the best marketing there is, isn't it? I'd love to try some romance too but... it's difficult to play with cheese, isn't it? :D
    Jun 29, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  15. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 Oh, I own (most, not all) Time Fantasy as well. But they're good but fantasy styled and I'm mostly interested in more sci-fi or modern stories... mostly. Well, my main project is still very fantasy but there's way too much fantasy tiles around and way to little sci-fi or futuristic tiles of good quality. Although I do like the DS+ futuristic tiles a lot.
    Jun 29, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  16. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    "I guess making games is a passion (even if you're in it partly for the money), so in that sense every completed game is a success in a way."

Exactly. Couldn't put it better myself. :)

And yeah, romance isn't easy to write, but it sure sells well enough. Many people in the world who are starving for it, so they get their dose from games.
    Jun 29, 2018
  17. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Ah ok. Yeah, understandable. In that regard, I'd say, if you have some pixel art skills, you should be able to make edits either to Pop tiles or to Time Fantasy tiles to get the look you desire. (or to both)
    Jun 29, 2018
  18. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I hope so. I'm currently playing around with POP! tiles to see what's possible, and what I'd have to add or modify myself. Also might use this tileset for the "Summer map challenge".... if I manage to finish a map in time for it! :D
    Jun 29, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  19. starlight dream
    Jun 30, 2018
    Mrs_Allykat and Parallax Panda like this.
  20. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @starlight dream Nice! Too bad the map is so small, but the tileset really is a good one (but pretty difficult to use unfortunately). I can't decide if ti would be best to make parallax maps with it in TileD or use it as is in the editor? Hm...
    Jun 30, 2018
    starlight dream and Mrs_Allykat like this.
  21. Mrs_Allykat
    Mrs_Allykat
    I would think that some really sharp parallax scrolling "layers" would make a regular map using POP would end up with a very "Minecraft" looking game-zone. It could end up being very interesting to look at!
    Jun 30, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.