Comments on Profile Post by Parallax Panda

1. TheMutantSpaceDancer
    TheMutantSpaceDancer
    I know a good amount of worthwhile 3DS games in case you want suggestions.
    Jun 30, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Parallax Panda like this.
  2. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @TheMutantSpaceDancer Sure, doesn't have to be 3DS games either (I own a JP 3DS, US 2DS, PSvita & Nintendo Switch). Good rpg maker games always makes me happy too (I'm mostly into rpg's or adventure games to be honest).
    Jun 30, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  3. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Breath of the Wild
    Jun 30, 2018
    Parallax Panda and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  4. TheMutantSpaceDancer
    TheMutantSpaceDancer
    I'll just give some 3DS suggestions just to save time for myself. Want a silly RPG with a amount of customization
    so large you can make the game 1000 times more stupid and funny depending on what characters you put in? Miitopia. Want a fun and colorful rhythm game not like the rest? Rhythm Heaven Megamix. Want more Zeld? Both N64 Zelds have been remade on 3DS! Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D.
    Jun 30, 2018
  5. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX I actually own Breath of the Wild and played it halfway through. But I prefer playing with a pro controller on the TV... and I currently don't have a TV. So I'm going to wait to finish my play-though until I can buy a new one (hopefully by the end of this year). It's a fantastic game though (that deserves to be played on the TV). :D
    Jun 30, 2018
  6. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @TheMutantSpaceDancer While I've played and finished them in the past, I'd like to get the old zeldas from the N64 era and play them again on my 2DS, so thanks for reminding me. Not so sure they're still stocked in most stores though... 3DS games are on their way out! :o
    Jun 30, 2018
  7. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Persona5
    Jun 30, 2018
    Parallax Panda likes this.
  8. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX Hm, doesn't that requier a console I don't have? I do have "Persona 4 Gold" for PSvita though, still haven't even opened that game because I fear it would take A LOT of time for me to finish.

I try to play games I can finish in a week or two (7-20 hours).
    Jun 30, 2018
  9. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    A Ps4
    Jun 30, 2018
  10. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX Yeah I don't have that... or a TV either. Maybe at some point in the future.
    Jun 30, 2018
  11. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    If you have the DS consoles, I'd recommend Castlevania games! :D I can't vouch for the Lords of Shadow sub-series of Castlevania. Didn't really like Mirror of Fate. But the previous instalments are well-worth playing. Those are: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclessia.
    Oh and if you have PSP, try Dracula X Chronicles. :D
    Jun 30, 2018
  12. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I'm inclined to agree. I own all three of those games. Best Castlevania games there is in my humble opinion - not that I've played all the others. The pixel graphic for the DS games are off the charts! :D

Do you have more tips?
    Jun 30, 2018
  13. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Awesome! My personal favourite is Aria of Sorrow, which is a prequel to Dawn of Sorrow and came out on GBA, but the DS ones do have better-looking visuals. Then there's also Symphony of the Night which started the whole trend of Metroid-style Castlevanias, but that one was for PS1. I'd recommend those if you get a chance to play them.
    As for more tips, have you tried any Metroid games?
    Jun 30, 2018
  14. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    You need a High Definition flatscreen, together with a surround sound system for theatre like sound and a Blue Ray DVD built in. Like I have.

Or you could go for the newest 4K stuff.
    Jun 30, 2018
  15. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    And then.. You can play Kingdom Hearts.
    Jun 30, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  16. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX If, or rather when, I buy a new TV it'll probably by a 50-55" 4K TV. I already have a blueray (funny enough) and since I can't blast the volume anyway, I'll skip the surround sound system ;)

...Maybe I'll opt for some high-end headphones instead?
    Jun 30, 2018
  17. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX I'm not to much of a fan of Kingdom Hearts though so I think I skip that too! :D ...but if I had a PS4 I'd like to play Persona5, Ni no Kuni 2 and the Final Fantasy 7 Remake... and maybe the latest Uncharted as well.
    Jun 30, 2018
  18. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I've played a little bit of the SNES game only. Looking forward to what the new game for Switch will look like though (but I'm not much for FPS games... which it'll probably be).
    Jun 30, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion and Matseb2611 like this.
  19. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Ah ok. Yeah, the SNES one (Super Metroid) is the most well-known one. There's another one that's very similar on GBA called Metroid Fusion. They're the only two I've played and liked them both. I want to play Metroid Prime but it's only on Nintendo consoles (Gamecube I think?), which I never had.
    Jun 30, 2018
  20. Sauteed_Onion
    Sauteed_Onion
    There are a bunch of old snes games I enjoyed when I was younger.. I often wonder why newer games don't take that top down look anymore. But we got rpg maker so it works.
    Jul 1, 2018
  21. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I've tried a little bit of Metrod Prime, I think that's the (first) First person one right?
    I've always owned all the Nintendo consoles since I'm a Zelda fan. I think I've been on Nintendo systems since the SNES. Even bought this new Switch primarily for the Zelda, but unlike the wii and wiiU it's actually a decent console.
    Jul 1, 2018
    Matseb2611 and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  22. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Sauteed_Onion Right! I love that slightly angled top down perspective and exploring dungeons and maps in it. I'm so glad there's a tool like RPG maker around so we can make our own games (and find indie rpgs made by others) to enjoy!
    Jul 1, 2018
  23. OmnislashXX
    OmnislashXX
    Ok, what do you actually have? If you're looking for RPGs, then get a SNES or a Playstation. If you have a older TV. Then you invest in some games, like Final Fantasy, Lufia and Breath of the Wild
    Jul 1, 2018
  24. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX I've got a Super Famicom (JP snes), a (JP) Megadrive, a (JP) 3DS, a (US) 2DS, a PSvita, A (EU) WiiU, A Nintendo Switch and.... my old game boy color from 6th grade! :D

I've currently got no TV though so lots of options are off the table unfortunately. Otherwise I have a bunch of 16-bit rpgs I'd like to play too.
    Jul 1, 2018
  25. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @OmnislashXX Some games I own, plan to play but haven't played yet:

Persona4Gold (PSvita)
    Pokemon Moon (3DS)
    Infinite Space (DS)
    Radiant Historia (DS)
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (DS)
    Ace Attorney (all 5 DS games)
    Cosmic Star Heroine (PC)

...I'm leaning towards Cosmic Star Heroine atm. Because it not that long (8-12h).
    Jul 1, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  26. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Cosmic Star Heroine is pretty good and a nice nostalgic trip reminiscent of the old-school JRPGs.
    Jul 1, 2018
  27. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 STEAM told me you owned it too. I assume you've played through it then? I ended up playing it a little bit around lunch. Doesn't seem half bad as a game... but the story isn't THAT good. Must been meant to be cheesy on purpose? :D
    Jul 1, 2018
  28. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah, I did play it through to the end. It's good overall. You are right though, its story is nothing special and many of the supporting characters don't get as much development as they deserved. But the combat is good and fun, music is good, and visuals are very pretty. I think these guys normally make games with very goofy and cheesy plots. Their last one was Cthulhu Saves the World. :p
    Jul 1, 2018
  29. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    I wrote a review for it back when I played it, so it should appear in the review section of the game page where it shows what your friends thought of the game. :)
    Jul 1, 2018
  30. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 Yeah, "so many one-liners", was my first impression of the story and character. But if that's their thing then I guess it's supposed to be that way. The battle system is pretty interesting indeed, and yeah, the game looks pretty too!

I'll take a look and see if I can find your review!
    Jul 2, 2018
  31. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Jul 3, 2018
  32. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 Nice, very professional. Do you often write reviews for others game on STEAM? I think I've every only written ~1-2 reviews in all my years. I guess most people don't do it?
    Jul 3, 2018
  33. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah, I do. I guess you could say I enjoy voicing my opinion. Nowadays I mostly only write if I enjoyed the game. If I didn't like or found it meh, I usually don't stick around to play enough to write a coherent review. Plus also, I don't like the toxic negative review culture Steam has and refuse to be a part of it. So I only write if I like the game. I have done some negative reviews in the past though.
    Jul 3, 2018
  34. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Oftentimes we get caught up only writing reviews for things when we don't like them as a way to complain, but we don't always voice our opinion if we liked the product, and I think that's important that we do. Good products and services need to be rewarded, so that those businesses can continue doing what they do.
    Jul 3, 2018
  35. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 I'll have to agree. Especially on STEAM, having a decent amount of positive reviews seems like key to get visibility (and in turn more sales).

As a customer though I rarely read what people write on Steam, but I DO look on the overall score (if it's positive, negative or somewhere in between). And if it's very poor it's very unlikely I'd buy that game.
    Jul 3, 2018
  36. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah, exactly. See, the positive vs negative reviews make a big difference on Steam. And it's not like it lets people to vote out of 5 or out of 10. It literally is yes or no, and many people give 'no' for very superficial and subjective reasons. Some even do it just to troll or because they're bitter and like to downvote every game (you get many like that from people who hate RM games so they vote them all down).
    Jul 3, 2018
  37. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Some even create fake accounts. I've seen this happen on some games and it's disgusting. The Darkest Dungeon (one of my favourite games), has long had a battle with bitter trolls who wouldn't give up, who'd camp the review section and automatically downvote all positive reviews and upvote negatives. I remember when I made my +ve one, it got 4 dislikes within 10 min. :p
    Jul 3, 2018
  38. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    I knew about the RM-hate (it seems to have been worse a few years ago when RM games first appeared on STEAM?), but I didn't know there were a lot of people camping the review sections. Such a waste of ones time...
    Jul 3, 2018
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  39. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah, it definitely is. I guess some people get obsessed with proving their point. Although with the upvoting/downvoting of reviews change not long ago, Steam has put in place an algorithm that tracks this stuff, if someone upvotes or downvotes too many reviews of the same game. It then makes their "contribution" count for less. :p
    Jul 3, 2018
  40. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    Good to know. Sounds like a good fix that would make it much more troublesome and time consuming to troll game devs you don't like... as it should be :)
    Jul 4, 2018
  41. Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Jul 4, 2018
  42. Parallax Panda
    Parallax Panda
    @Matseb2611 You have a wealth of information on RM, STEAM and game dev'ing :)

I'll have to read that blog!
    Jul 4, 2018