RPG Maker Forums

SailorRose
SailorRose
+ EG: The title screen, CG's and busts all look like entirely different artists made them?
JtheDuelist
JtheDuelist
If the difference is like FE Heroes, I don't see a problem.
hiddenone
hiddenone
Depends on the game, but usually different art styles do end up distracting me. Though if it's a demo for a WIP game, then I'm much more forgiving.
Gabrelik
Gabrelik
It can be done, but carefully. For example, in a game that takes place in various dimensions, it might make sense to utilize different styles, etc. You have to be careful with this, as you still run the risk of aesthetic shock, which pulls your player from the story. It's a fine line, but I would tend to err on the side of consistency.
Poryg
Poryg
Incompatible styles are an absolute hell for me. Doesn't matter if it's incompatible graphics styles, music styles, badly used music or whatever.
Milennin
Milennin
Of course, but it can be part of the charm with RPG Maker games. Now, if it was a commercial game, I would want to have consistent quality.
SailorRose
SailorRose
In my case it's not really intentional, but it's more like... My style is constantly changing and evolving. Overall I keep an 'anime' aesthetic to my work but I keep changing things here and there.

I'm thinking of simply re-drawing some stuff, but I guess it's not too noticeable yet so I'll just leave it alone. I'll try to get a demo out soon to get actual unbiased feedback, hah.
cabfe
cabfe
The title screen is often in a specific art style, usually more refined (and costly) than the rest of the game. CGs and busts should at least let the player recognize the characters. Ideally in the same style, but CGs are special screens, so a different art style isn't too bad. What wouldn't work is different art styles in one category (e.g. inconsistency in the busts shots).
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Yes, it's distracting. However, it still depends on where the graphics are. Comparing tileset with cartoon-ish cellshading bust doesn't seem fair. Bad title screen vs awesome map graphics also doesn't bother me. Both are in different place. But if sprite A and sprite B are different, it's distracting.
HexMozart88
HexMozart88
I had a slightly similar problem. I'd suggest leaving it the way it is, then redrawing everything at the end.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I picked up For The King in a Humble Bundle sale, and one mechanic that stuck out to me was a physical change to the world map when finishing a side quest. That got me thinking about special map-effect rewards for certain side quests in my game.
Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oirammm18