Search results

1. Warlyte

Opinions on optional trade-off traits?

You know, things that you can choose at the beginning of the game that affect your character build. Things like "Made of Wood: Increase Strength and Defense by 10% but weak to fire attacks." (I just made that up, not going to use it, haha.) I usually only see it in very open-ended games with a...
  2. Warlyte

Plot and Character Feedback

Thinking about remaking my first practice project into something sensible, just to see what I've learned since then. That means refining the plot, too, so here's where it is now: A man from our world stumbles on the power of creation. Naturally, he begins spending all his time in the world he...
  3. Warlyte

Working with a two-tile high event

Thanks, Hudell! Looks like I'll have to switch from the simple "move away from player" command to conditional branching, but that was probably inevitable anyway. From what I can tell, this does exactly what I wanted. I should have known you'd have a brilliant solution--you usually do!
  4. Warlyte

Working with a two-tile high event

So, I've been working on a system to have players able to push blocks that they can then walk on. At first, I was just using a placeholder graphic, which worked fine even though it looked all wrong. Now, though, I'm using a crate that's actually the correct size to line up with my tile-high...
  5. Warlyte

Bi-Weekly Mapping Challenge June 15th/30th

So glad I found something like this, because I desperately need to make some practice maps. I'm pretty awful at it so far, but maybe if I fall in with something like this it'll improve. Here's what I have for the current prompt:
  6. Warlyte

Game & Map Screenshots 9

So I'm doing some practice on both mapping and certain eventing mechanics. Combining them led to this little cave with a couple of super-simple block pushing puzzles. I tried not to use much space that wasn't needed for that, and threw down a couple decorations where I could, but I'm still not...
  7. Warlyte

Mapping for puzzles (or tactics battles)

Let me preface this by saying that I am actually really bad at mapping in the first place. But I do know of the saying "form follows function" that gets tossed around. So it occurred to me that when building, say, a puzzle area, it's probably important to keep the player's attention on the space...
  8. Warlyte

"Today, I procrastinated on my game by...(fill in the blank)"

Sitting around eating pizza and watching Lord of the Rings. It was too hot here to be productive today...
  9. Warlyte

Help check my work? Walkable push blocks

Hey everyone. Not sure which forum I should post this on, so I apologize if you have to move it at all. Basically, I challenged myself to create a block event that you can push around and also walk onto, without using any plugins. Now that I've gotten it working, I thought I might create a...
  10. Warlyte

Your diet and lifestyle

I'm so bad, haha. I do have to walk around all day at work, but I don't get any other exercise. And for food, I pretty much go along with whatever my wife wants to eat... Which is usually like frozen breaded chicken, lots of fries, etc. I can occasionally work in a vegetable, but it's really...
  11. Warlyte

So much to learn!

@BrandedTales That makes a lot of sense! I am definitely going to hang on to that story. Not to say the other pointers here weren't awesome too. Don't worry guys, I am reading!
  12. Warlyte

RMMV Project Murnin (Alpha Development)

I'm bookmarking this to play the demo when I get home, but for now, my comment on the description: What makes the character want to join the Royal Knights so badly? What does he have to lose if he fails? If you can work that in there it will help people care a little bit more about his success...
  13. Warlyte

Thinking about the Paradigm for Defensive Actors

This might also vary by the difficulty you're shooting for. Some of my projects are aimed at relatively beginner players, so making the defensive options a little overpowered would be fine in that case. It might convince them that adding defensive abilities to their strategy actually works, and...
  14. Warlyte

An awkward hello

Glad you didn't! I'm up to some of the lurking too, but I didn't even think about the feedback angle. I should give it a try.
  15. Warlyte

Common sayings on work time

Recently I heard a couple of different things that got me thinking: "If you're trying to fit your hobby or personal project in with a regular life, it's more sustainable to stick to about 10 hours a week." "A good rule of thumb is that it will take about 100 hours of development for 1 hour of...
  16. Warlyte

A low-monster world

I may have overstated the point, haha. It's just that in a dungeon, there might only be a couple of enemies per room. And there may be a bit of hunting, like with Golden Sun's Djinn. Tracking them, luring them from their dens, maybe some puzzles or just plain chasing them. I guess I'm just...
  17. Warlyte

Hunger mechanics - interesting or tedious?

I don't think writing it off entirely helps - but it is probably the hardest thing I can think of to do right. Giving food more positive effects and making the hunger less insistent (taking longer to get bad) would help, as would giving it a little progression element - you can explore bigger...
  18. Warlyte

A low-monster world

Average RPG: Enemies show up on the player's quest and act as obstacles. The player deals with them as they go along. While rewards like EXP and items make it feel worth their time, too many battles can become a nuisance unless purposely grinding. This concept: Enemies are not common at all...
  19. Warlyte

So much to learn!

So I've been using RMs since XP, and I've played with every aspect in one way or another. But I never really got serious or finished a project till recently, and only now am I looking through the sea of teaching and advice. Currently, I keep poring through mapping in particular because it's what...
  20. Warlyte

An awkward hello

Somewhat? Sometimes I just can't convince myself that what I have to say is that important, so I just leave it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

That feeling when you have an out-of-bounds error and an ai enemy exploits it to kill you
i'm getting better and i think im going to work on my magical girl game while I wait to get some stuff for my horror game. i hope you guys are having a good day
Kept making a new frame for any change I did so ended up with a gif XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoctorDeathtrap