Search results

1. coyotecraft

What are some general pet peeves you have for Rpg Maker Games you've played?

Flat maps. I see it more in games with custom tilesets. There's no elevation. And so much empty space for the player to walk through, but nothing interest to look at. Even using rtp tiles, I want to see more to forests than just a maze of trees on a plane.
  2. coyotecraft

Campfire glow

You only need a simple image with a radial gradient from white to black. Or a warm color to black. I think 1 might have been included as a parallax in a recent MV update. So you might check your DLC folder. You just need to "show image" using screen mode. And then have a parallel process event...
  3. coyotecraft

How long should it take from pressing "Start Game" to player's first battle?

You're all giving safe and obvious answers. Dancing around the subject of design by putting whim over reason.
  4. coyotecraft

I see a theme of non-communication. You cannot tell me what I meant. You can only tell me what...

I see a theme of non-communication. You cannot tell me what I meant. You can only tell me what you understood. These are discussions that challenge identity. Identifying as an RPG dev will result in having your competency tested when people start tossing the RPG idea ball around. Will it break...
  5. coyotecraft

@Kes And this fit with the comparative M&M analogy that @Tai_MT and I were having. As you said, Kes, it's not about what a game is. But to discuss "a game's purpose" you have to look into genres. Right? If you wanted to put M&Ms into a category of Junk Food or Health food you have to...
  6. coyotecraft

@Autofire Maybe we should step outside of the realm of entertainment if you want to explore game theory. There are other kinds of games that we don't normally think of as games because they're not played by people or done for fun. You can't understand them as games by reading a wikipedia...
  7. coyotecraft

@Tai_MT I appreciate this. I really do. You're opening statement really hit the nail on the head. I was so focused on getting the significant objectivity and subjectivity across. The fact that the words object and subject were structural terms in grammar never crossed my mind. I knew it I was...
  8. coyotecraft

@onipunk You can thank at least 2 Global Moderators for changing the subject. Or allowing it to continue as is. And Subject is exactly what this is all about. Don't you see? The topic is objectively the same topic. Subjectively it's changed. If the moderators really wanted to they could split...
  9. coyotecraft

@bgillisp You think you can reinvent a genre but you can't. You'd only be creating a new genre and giving it the same name. It's a matter of classification. It didn't matter how people felt when Pluto reclassified as a dwarf planet. The reality of it didn't change. The reason we have the...
  10. coyotecraft

@Basileus You can call it gameplay if you want. But only in a colloquial sense. Gameplay doesn't include EVERYTHING required to play "the game", it's only concerned with the "game". I tried explaining using a book analogy to point out the importance of having a language that distinguish between...
  11. coyotecraft

Ok, I think I see what's going on here. In my first post I mentioned conflict in regard to how the story could contextualize battles from the beginning. My second post, which was a response to you, was a different rationalization from the standpoint of the game's genre. @Kes The Topic...
  12. coyotecraft

@Kes A battle is one of the simplest methods that simultaneously offers narrative potential (to the developer's advantage) and gets the player on the road to character advancement without challenging their patience. It's the ideal design solution. @Basileus I'm not sure what I said that gave...
  13. coyotecraft

Do you use a story-boarding outline?

I generally work in teams, so there's never an outline that says this will happen in this way for this reason. The story develops by playing off each others ideas. It's spontaneous. There's very little direction surrounding the quest. And character details aren't written in stone until someone...
  14. coyotecraft

@Kes @Eschaton the point is that whatever genre is primarily being marketed as, that's the gameplay it should lead with. 15-20min is a ridiculously long time for a game to start. What is the player doing in all the time?! Can you call it gameplay? That's all video game genres are concerned with...
  15. coyotecraft

@Soryuju Persona 3 and 4 are primarily SIMs and that's what the game starts with. And I think you're falling into the trap of treating genres as a game and not a category of gameplay. Even though everyone phrases it this way, it's really not accurate to say "[game title] is a [genre]". I'm...
  16. coyotecraft

@Eschaton I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Zelda games are Adventure titles, not RPGs. Why would you start a game off with secondary gameplay mechanics? You don't get a sword right away, usually you have to learn to pick up or push items to navigate obstacles first. Use the Shield as...
  17. coyotecraft

Generally the conflict of the game exists from the beginning. You fight off invaders or a monster that wandered into town, signalling something is wrong and the start of a quest. At the very least the characters are all ready to spar or train in the meantime while things heatup. If you consider...
  18. coyotecraft

How RPG Maker Games should handle their presentation?

This is going to sound like I'm arguing semantics. But there's a difference between presentation and craftsmanship. I think what everyone here is looking for is a show of effort - which has nothing to do with the game and everything to do the creator showboating. People want their game to look...
  19. coyotecraft

Info dumps and exposition in your story writing?

I think it's important to put this in perspective of a game format. Games aren't books, obviously. I want to start with how setting is delivered first. The player walks into town during a festival. There's plenty of npcs around, and in talking to them the player can infer that this is an annul...
  20. coyotecraft

I have an Alice in Wonderland themed icon set I'm working on and need ideas

Consider how the icons would be used. Items, Equipment, Skills. Lots of food items: Tea cups and Cakes. Oysters. Pepper. Mor Pepper. Moar Pepper. Andmore Pepper. The Queen's Tarts. White roses, Red paint. There's the Vorpel Blade. Flamingo Mallets. The Carpenter's Hammer, I suppose. You've...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with The Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
I have a specialized class on intellectual property this semester (on Patent and Trademarks, Copyrights is next semester). Only had a quick overview of that in previous business law classes. I'll be able to help more people here when it comes to knowing what to do and your rights for intellectual property!
When you wanna write another pedantic post of your views on game dev... but your cousin and aunt have invited you to bowling
"Hey there! Hope you're having a nice day, you are awesome!"

(Of course the hand is awful :kaoswt: )
I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meektot