Search results

1. Diretooth

Making Almost Everything "Interactable"

For me, interactables allow me to add lore to the game. Whether it's adding personality to a house, filling a library with 'books' on various lore tidbits, or just adding some foreshadowing to future events in the form of a statue mentioning X hero, they can do a lot. However, not everything...
  2. Diretooth

Making Food meaningful & simulating taste

In Final Fantasy XV, food is an important mechanic in that it gives you various buffs. There are a lot of foods of varying kinds, made with varying ingredients, of various buffs that can cater to specific characters (which iirc allows the buff to last longer for said character.) The low-tier...
  3. Diretooth

Been busy with non-RM stuff, can't wait to get back into making a game.

Been busy with non-RM stuff, can't wait to get back into making a game.
  4. Diretooth

What do you do with elements in your game?

For me, I keep elements simple. Six elements, Fire, which consumes Wind, which blows away Stone, which absorbs Water, which quenches fire, and Holy and Dark that act as direct foils to one another. It's a fairly straightforward system that the player characters are part of. Each character has an...
  5. Diretooth

Is being able to sell keys a good idea?

ATtleast with Resident Evil, it's justified since you have limited inventory, and is something of a necessary weasel since knowing that you no longer need this location-important item and can just get rid of it.
  6. Diretooth

Class Evolution + Class Equipment

You can do this with the base engine, albeit with some work. Let's say you have a specific quest (as in FF1) where a character gives them their evolved class. Let's say the starter class is Mage, they have access to basic healing, attack, and status magic. You can go about this potentially two...
  7. Diretooth

Wolf Skills

I would suggest having some skills that deal more damage when specific states are afflicting specific enemies. Wolves hunt in packs and tend to target the weaker members of a herd, so the wolf character getting a damage boost against weakened enemies makes sense. Let's say the enemy is blinded...
  8. Diretooth

Hard Choices in an RPG setting?

A binary system is not nuanced enough to encompass what you want. Pragmatism vs. empathy does not work as a system unless you're writing a sociopathic character who would need to think about whether or not either is the better for their code of conduct. D&D, for instance, has two alignment axes...
  9. Diretooth

Using the 'Immortal' State.

In RPG Maker MV (And perhaps earlier engines, I don't really know), a common premade state that you can come across is 'Immortal', which offers complete nullification of the 'Knockout' state (I.E. Death.) I am not a particularly creative person, so normally I never use it, and have only ever...
  10. Diretooth

How many skills is too many?

For one of my games, I'm sticking with 10 Character Skills each (Specific characters are the only ones who have these skills), four Limit Breaks (Obtained over the course of the plot and at the end of specific sidequests), and a slew of Mortal Arts (Skills given via equipment and plot. The...
  11. Diretooth

Outhouses

This actually gives me a few ideas for a few of my games. The way I would implement them, beyond occasional toilet humor, would be to give the party a temporary stat boost via a state. The state would only last for X turns or X battles, or by chance if damaged, and you would have to fight X...
  12. Diretooth

[SOLVED] Lets Talk True RPG Game Mechanics Design

A 'true' RPG is literally a game that allows you to play a role. That's it. It does not matter if you are a Dragonborn trying to stop the end of the world, or a young ace sports player fighting a giant space whale, or you're a young woman discovering her family history in a strangely built...
  13. Diretooth

Armor values?

One thing I have wanted to do within my own games is to find a balance between strong weapons and strong armor, but when you simply escalate the damage and defense values as the game goes on, you're not really 'growing'. When the name of the game becomes 'spam move until enemy dies', it becomes...
  14. Diretooth

It is my sincerest wish that she rests in peace, and that her passing was not painful.

It is my sincerest wish that she rests in peace, and that her passing was not painful.
  15. Diretooth

How to Build a Better Puzzle

A small thought: What if there was an in-game hint/solution system. For instance, you have a book that can answer any question, but when you get the prize, the book has siphoned off its power, making it weaker. So, using a hint, that megalixir turns into a high potion, and if it gives you the...
  16. Diretooth

I am imagining something like a fighting game combo, but with individual attacks leading up to...

I am imagining something like a fighting game combo, but with individual attacks leading up to larger skills. Easy encounters go down with relatively week combos, but boss battles end up with a character using their stronger abilities if they don't allow the combo to die.
  17. Diretooth

My dreaming brain may have created a reason for me to remain awake and type out an entire thing...

My dreaming brain may have created a reason for me to remain awake and type out an entire thing in the near future.
  18. Diretooth

2 AM concept posting: Chaining skills. Each character has simple skills. Successive use causes...

2 AM concept posting: Chaining skills. Each character has simple skills. Successive use causes the next skill used to become more powerful.
  19. Diretooth

How to Build a Better Puzzle

Like with everything, TV Tropes has indexes for everything, including stock puzzles. I add this mainly so that it can be referenced. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockVideoGamePuzzle Puzzles in games are an interesting topic for me. Usually, I don't mind them too much, as long as...
  20. Diretooth

Instant Death in RPGs

There was an RPG Maker game called Forum Fantasy which did use instant death as a means of telling a joke. I.E. It was obvious, saving was a non-issue, and there was always this sense of 'wow, you died an obvious death. congrats' feel that was never demeaning. You'd walk down a hallway covered...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

"Huh? You haven't backed up yet? *menacing stare* "
Been having a lot of fun playing Hearts of Iron IV. Had to restart a few times, but now I've finally conquerd Europe with my Axis friends, and am currently invading the Soviet Union.
Guess I'll rework all the existing screens in my game. Except of the save/battle screen. For this I will be lazy and use Yanfly. With my current pace it'll take a few months.
Electro Swing--it's like swing--but with electros.
Is it wrong to look like a dead fish at all times :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baldren