Search results

1. Omnimental

Saving your game: What's your approach?

Checkpoints, alongside Save & Quit. S&Q gets rid of the biggest problem with checkpoints, since you don't need to hunt one down when you want to finish for the day. And it helps avoid the save-scumming problem of save anywhere. Little harder to pull off from a dev standpoint with PC gaming...
  2. Omnimental

RPG Maker MV 1.4.0 Update

Bleh. I mean, I HAVE the Steam version, so that's not an insurmountable problem, but I much prefer using the standalone. Thanks.
  3. Omnimental

RPG Maker MV 1.4.0 Update

So, maybe I'm just blind, but... where would I find the installer for the Linux version? I'd love to finally be able to stop running it through WINE.
  4. Omnimental

Save Spot or Save from Menu?

How I handled it in one of my prototype projects is by using both. Save points were inns and campfires, but the player could also by consumable items that would let them save while in a dungeon. This way, I could give them a risk/reward factor. Do you stock up on saving items, or save your money...
  5. Omnimental

How important is a title screen... really?

The real question for me would be, if you don't have a title screen, what do you have instead? Do you drop your player straight into the game? What if there's multiple save files? It would be interesting to see something like Undertale, where the the title screen changes as you progress in the...
  6. Omnimental

The Evil is You

It can be very tricky to do the villain protagonist right. You can do it upfront, where the player is informed upfront that they're playing the bad guy. [Eg: Overlord] Or the main character is amnesiac, and doesn't remember that they're the bad guy. [Eg. KOTOR] Maybe the main character...
  7. Omnimental

Skills with equipment slots?

A system to customize the abilities themselves sounds like it would be a lot of fun. If I was to do something like that, I'd probably have each actor with a few unique skills, and have them unlock the customizations as they level.
  8. Omnimental

Final Fantasy V: Bravely Default/Second Job mechanics

Your 'main' level comes from your primary class, your 'job' level comes from your subclass. Read the user section of the scripts, Yanfly's stuff is really easy to read as far as scripts go. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit, it's one of the best ways to learn.
  9. Omnimental

Okay, you'll need this script as well. Make a primary class for each actor, and put <primary only> in the notebox. Then make whatever switchable classes you want, and put <subclass only> in their noteboxes. You'll need to modify the Class system scripts as needed for your project, can't really...
  10. Omnimental

You'll want to lock the primary class (that will serve as the "character level"), and use the subclass as your classes. I don't know the script that well myself (I've moved over to MV), but I'll take a look and see if I can figure out exactly what you're looking for.
  11. Omnimental

AAS (Auto Attack Syndrome)

Auto attacks are a blessing in any game that expects you to grind. If I'm supposed to randomly kill monsters for a while to get items/levels/whatever before advancing, I want to get through it as quickly as possible to get back to the story and interesting bits.
  12. Omnimental

This should do what you're looking for.
  13. Omnimental

Press Turn Battle?

I'm really hoping my google-fu is just failing me here, but has anybody done a Press-Turn Battle plugin for MV yet? Something similar to what Archeia made for VX Ace. It's one of my favorite battle systems, but I'd hate to go back to VX Ace just to use it.
  14. Omnimental

Run, They're Trying To Kill Us! (Escaping from Battle)

@Wavelength I love the idea of a "preparing to run" state. Giving the player that window to decide whether to try to finish them off quickly, trap them, or let them go is a good one. @Alexander Amnell I think whether or not they drop items would depend on the creature in question. Animals...
  15. Omnimental

Partial experience is definitely something worth looking at. I'd probably also add some form of item or skill for the player to use to prevent escaping as well, so they have the option. Making it a feature that the player can engage in instead of a mechanic they have zero control over seems best.
  16. Omnimental

Job System Theory, Design, and Mechanics

I'm a bit on the fence in this regard. On one hand, Final Fantasy Tactics is still one of my favorite games, and I loved the robust class system in it, despite some glaring balance issues. Currently, my favorite way to handle classes is by having each actor have access to a different...
  17. Omnimental

In an effort to reduce the feeling of "everything is a fight to the death", I've been setting my random encounters to have monsters be significantly more likely to run away as their HP gets lower. The problem I quickly ran into while testing it is that monsters running is intensely frustrating...
  18. Omnimental

Running RPG Maker MV in Linux (Fedora 22) using Wine

Just wanted to say, I was able to use the information Jaima provided to get it working perfectly for me. So thanks a ton!
  19. Omnimental

How do you feel about LGBT characters in games?

In my personal preference, non-straight relationships should be included in games in direct proportion to the amount of sexual content in the game. If everyone's a chaste hero, and nothing other than friendship is ever depicted? Doesn't matter if any of the characters are gay, straight, or...
  20. Omnimental

Armors in RPG's

What the setting of your game is matters a lot as well. For instance, in my current project, it's a modern urban fantasy setting. So the actors wearing armour doesn't actually make much sense. So I've removed the default armour options and went entirely with accessories.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

rux
The most words I have ever written in an entire document is in my game's script, jeez i have a lot of characters that ramble on
Yes! I finally did something! This is a picture I drew of what I wish I looked like; I hope that you guys like it!
Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OscarCobblepot