Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am HEATED.

People tell me to simply drag some stuff over from a new 1.6.2 project to my old project, I do it, and I get a BLACK SCREEN. There is NO GUIDE that shows us how to update to 1.6.2.

How am I supposed to update if the ""UPDATE"" method DOES NOT WORK?

Somebody PLEASEEEE reply with STEP-BY-STEP instructions on how to update to 1.6.2.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is NO GUIDE that shows us how to update to 1.6.2.
wrong,the update instructions have always been in every news article about an update on this forum (the topics where the links to the standalone updates are given)

if you get a blackscreen then most likely your update is incomplete and youforgot to update one or more of the required files.
This is more important for 1.6.x due to some changes, which is also why (if I remember correctly) the list of files to copy is larger for 1.6.x than for the previous updates.
It's most likely that you got your instructions from the wrong update topic, please search specifically for the forum news about the 1.6.1/1.6.2 updates.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe this helps:
Updating the Engine to 1.62 will not update the old project, that needs to be done manualy.

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Followed 100%. Doesn't work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Followed 100%. Doesn't work.
then YOU made a mistake.
The instructions have worked for thousands of others without fail. If they did not work for you, then something on your computer or in your process is causing the problem.

we can help you with that, but for us to find what went wrong for you you need to post every step you have done - and not simply state you have done everything as told, because then it would have worked.
Either you have misinterpreted one of your steps, or your project was damaged before the update was tried, or something on your computer is different than assumed.

so please start posting data, like which version of the editor you're using and where your projects are stored, and if the backup of your project that you are required to make in every instruction can still be launched by index.html and what files you copied from where to where.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Updating your Projects:
We would like to remind everyone to make sure to do the following steps before updating to ensure that when the update happens so your changes won’t be overwritten:
  • Make a backup of your project.
  • DO NOT OPEN your 1.5.2 below project with RPG Maker MV 1.6.1 if you have no backups!
Now for the update process.
  • Backup your game! This is important!
  • Make a backup of your Generator folder if you edited it.
Create a new project or go to the NewData folder in your RPG Maker MV root (where MV is installed) folder. Copy the following items and replace the ones in your existing project:
  • Copy the file "index.html" and "package.json" from NewData to your project
  • Copy the files libs folder, "rpg_*.js" (example: rpg_core) files from NewData/js to your project js folder
  • Do not replace your plugins.js !
  • Done!
There is virtually no difference between 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 except for some export option that's Japanese only.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just an aside: when asking for help, this is entirely the wrong attitude with which to approach it. When Andar responded you replied by literally quoting your own post as if he didn't read it, which is rather rude. Your initial post was confrontational and demanding despite the fact that nobody here is responsible for the problems you're having.

Hopefully you'll be able to provide the requested details so we can help you fix this and get you back on track.

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Black screen attempting to update
I already installed and reinstalled RPG Maker MV with version 1.6.2
Created a new project, and copied over and replaced my original project's JS files along with index and package as well as the lib folder
When try to play test I get this black screen, no music, no nothing.
Attempted to play test on a freshly made project, same error.
When I access task manager I see this:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you get the black screen, what's in the console? Hit F8 to open developer tools, then go to the Console tab. What's on there?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Steam 1.6.2 or Standalone 1.6.2? The version I asked for isn't the number alone...

Especially if that error happens on a new project there are not many things that could be the cause.
One of them is a damaged editor, which is why I asked for which one it is.

Where do you store your projects? please post the complete filepath from the drive letter to the index.html (like c:\folder1\folder2\project\index.html). There are several errors that can result in something similiar if the folderpath is wrong, but too many different to simply list all rules you have to follow. It's easier to check the path if you post it here.

and you didn't answer the most important question I asked: does your project run without error in the 1.5.2 backup version? Both as playtest and as launched by index.html?

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you get the black screen, what's in the console? Hit F8 to open developer tools, then go to the Console tab. What's on there?
The game screen literally freezes, the only way to close it out is using Task Manager to force close it, so there's no way for me to bring up the console.

Steam 1.6.2 or Standalone 1.6.2? The version I asked for isn't the number alone...

Especially if that error happens on a new project there are not many things that could be the cause.
One of them is a damaged editor, which is why I asked for which one it is.

Where do you store your projects? please post the complete filepath from the drive letter to the index.html (like c:\folder1\folder2\project\index.html). There are several errors that can result in something similiar if the folderpath is wrong, but too many different to simply list all rules you have to follow. It's easier to check the path if you post it here.

and you didn't answer the most important question I asked: does your project run without error in the 1.5.2 backup version? Both as playtest and as launched by index.html?
Steam 1.6.2, sorry about that.
Also, the thing is, even a fresh project in the default save directory doesn't run.
Yes, the project worked in 1.5.2
I managed to make it work in 1.6.2 a while back, but I downgraded again following the downgrade guide.
For some reason I'm unable to update properly anymore... Ughhh.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game screen literally freezes, the only way to close it out is using Task Manager to force close it, so there's no way for me to bring up the console.
Are you sure? Did you TRY to hit F8? Even though it doesn't go through to the title screen, it doesn't mean you can't bring up the console.

I've heard some people who use some of Yanfly's plugins have to hit F12 rather than F8 to get the console, so try that too.

If it really does freeze and you can't even get the console up, then there's something more serious happening here. You can't even play test when you create a NEW project in 1.6.2? Are you using a Mac or a PC? Where is your project saved?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, the thing is, even a fresh project in the default save directory doesn't run.
that means that the editor files themselves are damaged - and is the reason why I asked if you're using the steam version, because if the steam download cache is damaged (happens randomly about once a year) then that is likely to happen.

you need to clear steam download cache and reinstall, until a fresh project works - otherwise you're updating with damaged files

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Okay, in this new project I was able to bring up the console. Check it out... o.0

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I would definitely clear out the Steam cache and reinstall MV, Nectar.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, in this new project I was able to bring up the console. Check it out... o.0
no, that is not how the console should look.
As said above, your editor and its base files are damaged and need to be repaired before anything else.

And also as said above, reinstalling will NOT repair it if the Steam Download cache has been damaged. In such a case Steam will only pretend to reinstall and always give you an "all-clear" while in reality every action is blocked by the damage in the download cache.
That is why you have to manually clear the cache (there is a button for it in the Steam help section), then deinstall the RM, restart the computer (to be absolutely sure no damage remains) and then install it again.

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, so it turns out I tried changing the grpahics settings via Nvidia for RPG Maker, I set it back to default and it works perfectly-full speed. Just one last issue.

The sound doesn't work. Not even in a fresh project.

Everything is unmuted.
I can play videos and hear sound.
I can open the music player within RPG Maker MV, and it'll play the music just fine.
I've restarted my laptop, doesn't fix the issue.
I've installed/reinstalled sound drivers, doesn't fix the issue.
My laptop is running sound files just fine.

But when I play test, there is no sound.

Bruh it was muted but I couldn't see the icon with the muted sign...

Okay problem solved, thank you so much and please forgive me for being hard-headed

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would try the thing with the download cache thingy that was mentioned further above.
Edit: If one of those doesnt solve it, maybe you changed also something else in your Nvidia.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

@Nectar Please do not use white text. You may be using the dark theme, therefore can see but on light themes it's unreadable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Testtubebaby