1.5X Map Zoom

Cody Rauh

Veteran 2D/3D Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
While I am aware of Mask's - http://mvplugins.com/plugin/Masked/MBS%20-%20Map%20Zoom

His plugin appears to be intended more for temporary or event zoom.
Also more complexity ='s greater chance something breaks, and bloated .js size / load.

Why Do you Want A Zoom Script:

My games style is intended to be 8 bit'ish / retro throw back. Things are intended to look very square/blockish.
However the problem is some of the detail is so very small that with current size it gets lost. 

Plus some of us older people don't see as well as we did when we were in our early 20's or teens, so you are

literally squinting to see detail.

What I am looking for:

- Map Zoom that is on the entire time except for in title screen.

- That doesn't effect GUI.

- variable integer at top of script that allows me to change zoom to my needs.

What I am NOT looking for:

- Yanfly's resolution change ( core engine ) I have this and am happy with the window screen size.

- Modifying Mask's plugin to force it to work as I want, due to user reports of various bugs with his plugin.

- Being told what I wan't can't be done, or debate about why it should or shouldn't be done.

- Told to draw my tile sheets and sprite 1.5x larger with 1/2 detail ( or something to this effect )

The person who assist with this will get name in credits. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you need to clarify what effect you're after, because too many people have mixed up incorrect uses of words like resolution for too much time.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/blog/172/entry-752-definition-resolution-etc/

It is important to note that resolution, screen size, zoom level and so on are mathematically connected - if you change one, you usually automatically change another value as well.

And unfortunately your description of what you do not want still leaves several options of what you want, especially if you want the plugin to apply only to part of the entire system.

Can you give a better description of which parts you want to be changed, keeping the definitions in mind?

Cody Rauh

Veteran 2D/3D Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well I have specified that I want the window size to remain the same. That I also want ui elements to remain same size, title screen to remain same size and that I want the map to be zoomed in by 1.5 times. That I don't want to make the map larger by increasing the amount of tiles...

Really unsure at this point how to make it any more clear.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So basically you want the map elements (sprites and tiles, but not the menus or text frames) increased in size to 72x72 (which means reducing the number of tiles visible on screen if you keep the same screensize)?

And you want that without using different tilesets or sprites, so you can't change the internal grid size but need to use a mathematical zoom for that.

Possible, but it will require a scripter who knows about mathematical picture manipulations (you can't use the default windows zooms because that would also zoom the GUI).

The variable zoom idea might be a bit too much - it depends on which functions are used and how much processing power the computer has. I don't know enough about picture recalculations to tell you how much a variable zoom would lag - you might get lucky or you might have to settle for a fixed zoom.

EDIT: corrected new pixelsize to 72, I calculated wrong at first)

Cody Rauh

Veteran 2D/3D Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Look there is no need to give a highly complex and convoluted explanation to an extremely simple, basic, elementary concept.

I think maybe the request is so simple you are trying to make it way more complicated than it actually is.
I have provided a picture to give a visual example, and even though GUI elements are not showing, imagine they are there default ( same size ).

In regards to the variable, I feel maybe you don't understand what variables are in scripting or programming. 

What I am asking is... instead of the variable (number) used to dictate the zoom strength be buried somewhere in 400 lines of the .js

that it be placed at the top of the script where I can easily adjust it to the required zoom, IT WILL UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE DURING GAME PLAY!

It is merely placed at the top where I would be able to get the desired zoom, then remain at that setting once I have saved the .js file.

Cody Rauh

Veteran 2D/3D Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Still looking for someone who is available to do this project.

Cody Rauh

Veteran 2D/3D Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Still need assistance with this plugin.

Barduck

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not an experienced programmer in this RPG Maker version... But I'm trying to achieve something similar. Maybe this can help you;

In the line 195 of MBS_MapZoom.js change this...

Game_Map._zoom = new PIXI.Point(1.0, 1.0);...for this:

Code:
Game_Map._zoom = new PIXI.Point(1.5, 1.5);

Cody Rauh

Veteran 2D/3D Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm not an experienced programmer in this RPG Maker version... But I'm trying to achieve something similar. Maybe this can help you;

In the line 195 of MBS_MapZoom.js change this...

Game_Map._zoom = new PIXI.Point(1.0, 1.0);...for this:

Game_Map._zoom = new PIXI.Point(1.5, 1.5);
What I am NOT looking for:

- Modifying Mask's plugin to force it to work as I want, due to user reports of various bugs with his plugin.

Sorry, engineering rule.. the more moving parts, the more chance it breaks, just need a simple plugin without the fat or bugs in Mask's plugin.

Mintorossa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
I've been looking for a similar script for a long time. I've used Masked's plugin too, but I also found it buggy, and it causes weird graphical glitches sometimes. I've found a solution that can be done as a script call.

Have all of you maps start an event as a parallel process (or make a common event as a parallel process that is turned on at the start of the game). In this event, do the following script call:

$gameScreen.setZoom(408, 312, 1.5);

This effectively zooms in the view of the screen by a scale of 1.5, or whatever you input instead. The coordinates are the middle of the screen in pixels. It only zooms in the view of the player walking around the map and shown images. It does not zoom in on menues, combat, or any windows. It does have an undesirable side effect, though:

Because it simply zooms in the screen, the 2 (depending on your zoom scale) tiles along the edge of the map are not shown, though. This can be resolved by making 2 buffer tiles along all edges of the map. The 3rd tile from the edge can be treated as the new edge tile. If you don't do this, the player will be able to walk out of the camera.

The only other bug I've found is that when entering combat, the screen fully zooms out before then zooming in for combat. I don't mind that for my own project, but it can probably be fixed easily by another plugin that edits what happens when entering combat.

Other than that, it is clean, bug-free, doesn't do anything funky, and doesn't break compatibility with any plugins. Even Galv's camera control works just fine on top of this.

I hope this may be of help. Otherwise, treat this as bump for someone to make a proper zoom script soon.

Nimbus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the clean and easy suggestion, @Mintorossa! In case anyone wants to try this, make sure to run this command as a parallel process (and not just a one time thing that gets called when you enter a map). I just discovered that entering the menu and exiting it will reset the zoom level, so the command has to constantly be running to prevent that from getting screwy.

Editing all of my old maps to have that buffer will be a bit of a pain, but I love that we can see everything up close. Can't wait to start adding this to my games!

Update: I did notice that zooming this way also effects images, however. As someone who uses image files for my face set / text boxes, this could be problematic. I could shrink the size of my images to better fit to the zoomed screen, but that seems like a major sacrifice to image quality. For the time being, Mask's plugin seems to be my best option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My first Video Scene - Kraken Art By @whtdragon -

Still needs work but its a start.
Considering a side project of making a Choose Your Own Adventure in MV but letting people play it as YouTube videos with the choices at the end leading to other videos. Thoughts?
I've made a rudimentary prototype map for the first game with the MV RTP overworld tiling. I'm probably going to photoshop the crap out of it for parallax, but the prototype has given me new ideas about how I want to place dungeons in the game.
I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tocilux