1.6.0 Public Beta Test

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by Liquidize, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello,

I am happy to announce that starting today with this post, we will be launching a public beta test for 1.6.0 for Steam users. This public test is primarily meant to help plugin developers make sure their plugins are compatible with 1.6.0 due to the upgrade to the NwJS version we use. This upgraded version of NwJS brings plenty of new features to the JavaScript engine that MV uses and thus will allow developers to leverage these new features to create some really neat things. However the change has been known to break some plugins and that is why I would like to have plugin developers ensure their plugins are still compatible with MV before 1.6.0's release. Normal every day users are welcome to use the beta too however you won't really get any new features out of MV because this version is primarily meant to be a backend upgrade, there are a few bug fixes of course but that is about it.

This is a potentially unstable version of MV, however we've been running a more closed beta and haven't received too many notable bug reports so it is safe to say it is fairly stable. Use it at your own risk.

In order to participate in the beta you must be a Steam user, steps to procure the beta are found below:

1. In Steam, right click on RPG Maker MV then click Properties
    2. Click "Betas"
    3. Enter the code (without quotes) "closedbetatestbranch"
    4. Click "Check Code"
    5. Select the "1.6.0" beta branch.
    6. Wait for Steam to update MV.
    If you want to use an existing project with 1.6.0, you must update the JS files and the Index.html. As well as include the package.json file from NewData if it doesn't exists. Due to a change in updating to the latest NWJS we had to change how we launch test play. This change requires that you do these things. It should be noted that we will potentially be applying a fix before the official release of 1.6.0 so this isn't the case.

When using the beta, if you come across any bugs with 1.6.0 please do report them in this thread. Please also include your systems specs as specific as possible. The best way to do that would be (for Windows) following the below instructions:

1. If you are running Windows 7 or higher, go to your TaskBar.
    2. Click on, "Start Button".
    3. Click on, "Run".
    4. In the pop-up window enter DxDiag and hit ok.
    5. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
    6. Click on, "Save all information".
    7. "Save As" window should be present.
    8. Click on, "Save" (The file should be saved to your desktop as DxDiag.txt)
    9. Exit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
    10. Use Pastebin and copy the contents the of saved file to that website to "Create a new paste."
    11. Post the link to that paste in the bug report, or if you aren't comfortable with the world knowing your PC specs, Private Message @Liquidize .

Thanks as always for your continued support, and please enjoy the beta!

- Liquidize

KaYsEr, Dr.Yami, fizzly and 7 others like this.
  2. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    where dowload beta version zip, why use steam?
    steam are for game not for software!
    nice new here, hope to test all new node features.

3. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll check it out. I'm not a developer, but just for the record :D
    P.S Wow, never knew you could downgrade MV versions on Steam! :o

4. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Because steam makes it easy to push updates as opposed to having to compile every time.

5. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hmmmmm nice, what are the updates?! Is there a list of changes?!

6. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    List of updates I noticed:

New development tool, with much more precise FPS meter (the previous development tool showed 60 fps even when it was lagging like hell. Note that I'm not talking about the meter you can call by f2). I like the new tool, although it will take a bit of time to get used to it.
    PIXI update from 4.4.1 to 4.5.4.
    rpg_core slightly changed, added a line about node.js
    rpg_managers slightly changed, BattleManager.checkAbort simplified
    rpg_scenes slightly changed, Scene_Item got a brand new update function.
    I think I also noticed a slight change in the editor, namely in the window that asks me if I want to save the project upon playtesting, but I'm not sure about that.
    Edit: confirmed, the window is smaller.

A funny update I found is that upon playtesting the game, a package.json file is created in the root folder. So when you deploy the projects, you have one package.json in the folder with exe and then you have a second package.json in the folder with all your stuff. These two files contain pretty much the same information.
    It's not 100% funny though, because it increases the launching time of the game and not by a small margin.

EDIT: Bug:
    The console won't launch in pre-1.6 projects. That's not a bug. But after I update the rpg_core.js, I stop receiving deprecation warnings.
    Edit 2: Nevermind, I still receive them, but not those that I used to receive at the beginning.

Specs:
    Win 10 Home edition, build 15063.726

CPU Quad core 1.33 GHz, Intel something.
    Memory 4 GB RAM, but an overload is not what causes it.
    Since no changes have been made in any of these projects compared to the pre-MV update, I cannot say what could be the reason.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Jonforum likes this.
  7. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finally, I can release my plugins for desktop without compiling with babeljs. Everything works great so far, I find this version loads really quick. Will report back once I get time to really test this version out in depth. Keep up the good work.

waynee95 likes this.
  8. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    these are exciting times. is there an ETA for the full public release of v1.6.0?

also, i use the standalone version of the engine but i do have access to the engine on steam. does anybody know if installing the steam version will cause issues with the standalone version, or will they both function independently of one another, because i would really like a sneak peek of v1.6.0?

9. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings Liquidize,

This is wonderful -- Thanks!! :cool:

I was making a tutorial on this to explain what it means to upgrade NWJS.

Showing first in RPG Maker MV 1.5.1, that it uses node-webkit 0.12.3:

[​IMG]
    However, when I started to upgrade to RPG Maker MV beta 1.6.0, Avast complained :confused:

You can see the tutorial I was writing & the avast complaint at this link:
    I eagerly await your response as I would like to continue the tutorial.​
    Thanks,

Joy Diamond.

P.S.:
    I will followup with a private message with the output of DxDiag.

Update: This was a FALSE positive from Avast. There is no issue & avast was giving a false report.

Many thanks to Liquidize for resolving this issue for me quickly :smile:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  10. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The ETA for 1.6.0 official release, is "when the beta reports there are no major problems." A lot of the backend changed and we want to make sure it works fine and dandy for as many people as we can, hopefully that is everyone. Steam and Standalone should work independently of each other.

dbchest likes this.
  11. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Liquidize you are a champion of the people! thank you so much for a solid response.

12. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    wait what? Pixi v4.5.4? Its already using it

13. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @elpeleq42 Do you use Yanfly's 1.4 version for MV 1.5? Maybe that is the reason.

14. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    will there be a standalone release for v1.6.0?

15. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, it's even on my "New data" folder, inside MV.
    [​IMG]
    And i uninstalled, cleared steam cache and installed it again a week or 2 ago(Because of some generator problems) so i would remember if i had changed it by my self

Plus: Is it a downgrade or a upgrade? I mean, if 1.6 won't change much and is going to increase game's loading time, why change what they changed?Also, there's pixi 4.6.1 now, why "update" it to 4.5.4(5 versions older)?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  16. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    well, that's weird, I had version 1.5.1 and with it pixi 4.4.1 for a long time :D
    Better node.js version has its' perks. So I would say, it's not an upgrade if you don't intend to use it. But it's not a downgrade either I guess, beause the performance isn't badly affected as far as I know.

17. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    upgrading to v1.6.0 was an awful experience for me; i use the standalone version of the engine upgraded to v1.5.0. i am aware that there is a v1.5.1 but i believe it was only released as an upgrade through Steam, which is unfortunate because i am still experiencing weird bugs with v1.5.0 to this day.

Steam's version of RPGMakerMV does not run independently from my standalone version; after installing Steam's v1.6.0 onto my cpu, all instances of RPGMaker used v1.6.0 even though my standalone version is v1.5.0. typically this would not be a problem, but i experienced a dpi issue with v1.6.0 which made using it impractical.

this was unfortunate because the back-end updates appeared to be beneficial. i was forced to completely uninstall all versions of RPGMaker from my cpu, reinstall the base version and manually update the standalone back to v1.5.0 which i am still experiencing bugs with. i was really looking forward to v1.6.0, but like every upgrade so far it seems to disagree with my cpu.

18. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Root folder? The root of the project or the root of MV installation folder?

In a brand new project this happens? I know with the latest nwjs, everything is accessed through the global object nw maybe something was missed in the core MV scripts that is using the old way.
    The latest nwjs should increase performance, it did for me. The starting time is really fast, about 2-3 seconds after I click playtest I'm already in game and ready to test, this is fantastic I may switch from using the browser and back to MV's playtest. Aside from that, the latest nwjs uses the latest node which gives us access(without extra compiling steps) to the latest Javascript standard which is something I have been using the last year and is far superior to the old ES5 standard. As a developer, this move was very wise and should benefit plugin developers and the core game overall, its just a matter of time to flesh out the bugs and for developers to take advantage of the latest features from node which is also 20% faster than previous versions.

Jonforum and dbchest like this.
  19. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    project :)

20. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a standalone version of 1.5.1, you can find it under "Your Account" on the RMW webpage.

They do run independently from each other, as demonstrated in this video HERE. This was done after I installed the standalone version after having the Steam version. The issue you are describing makes me think you installed them in the same location (which obviously wouldn't work as they use the same file names after all), or if you were running it through a shortcut/search like I demonstrated, the Steam version overwrote that shortcut. You should be able to go to where you installed the standalone version and just run the executable through there/make a new shortcut to use 1.5.0/1.5.1.

As for the DPI problem, if you could be a bit more specific that would be great. I am unaware of any changes that should be causing that issue, so it may be something with the backend that we have to account for.

Thanks,

- Liquidize

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.