1.6.0 Public Beta Test

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by Liquidize, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathsia

deathsia Pegisister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great, so should I just disable updates for my version of MV then since steam autoupdates the game files in all projects to the latest version by default?

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    They go through an approval process that is out of our hands.

No. It only updates the RPG Maker MV default. However, if you make a new project, it's automatically 1.6.0

LMichelle likes this.
  3. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anybody know if in the v1.6, we will can add themes to console?
    i dont have steam, i can not test or verify.
    --enable-devtools-experiments or other way ?
    [​IMG]

4. elpeleq42

elpeleq42 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Was there any improvement in the encryption of 1.6? @Liquidize
    Many people were saying that until 1.5.1 it was really weak.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Tuomo L, LMichelle and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  5. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Jonforum , I think that you can enable them by inserting the flag on the json file.
    It's a rather nice update. I haven't noticed any bugs, but I'm keeping an eye out.

6. silicaandpina

silicaandpina Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i just tried exporting a game under deployment on 1.6.0 and it appears to be just as weak as before .-.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  7. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I think you misunderstand the use of this encryptions it's not meant to block peoples to access your file but to stop them from using your picture and music. All it does it's to transform file into 'serialized' file which make the stealing harder since even if you transfert the encrypted file into a new rpg maker project and the specified code is not here the fille will not be readable. that's all.

They have tools built for the sole purpose of encrypting your game. Such EnigmaBox

8. silicaandpina

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know what the purpose of it is but its still really weak.. (XOR, Doesn't encrypt entire file, Key easy to obtain..) which is what Elpeleq42 asked about here:

9. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Anything, even from AAA can be decrypted, so spending too much resources on encryption is not very ideal.

EDIT:
    Ah great, Galenmereth's Preload Manager doesn't work with Version 1.6.0

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Oscar92player and Windows i7 like this.
  10. elpeleq42

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Even huge enterprises/banks can be hacked, no matter how much they pay in security. So why they still invest?
    Even huge online games suffer from hacks/hackers. So why they keep trying to protect their games?
    Many indiegames suffer from people exploiting their APIs to find hidden informations, hackers,etc. Still they try to improve it always.

Improvements are always ideal. If it's too much work for the devs, at least open that encryption system for us to improve it/choose our own encryption type.

Windows i7 likes this.
  11. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    There is nothing stopping you from creating your own encryption. All of RMMV's game engine files are open for that.

However, it is unreasonable to ask from RM devs to create encryption that is AAA tier since we don't have the same amount of staff or money as they do to constantly research better ways for encryption.

xein and Jonforum like this.
  12. silicaandpina

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh i found a bug:
    Whenever i set the image of an event to a Tile, MV 1.6.0 crashes . . .

I am running Kubuntu 16.04 64-Bit

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  13. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @silicaandpina Still best to provide as much info as possible.
    Run this command for hardware information:
    lspci

Then run this command for graphics card and OpenGL version information.
    glxinfo | grep "OpenGL"

Anyways, I ran into a small bug running on Manajro Linux where the last project opened does not reload upon closing and re-opening MV. The config file in ~/config/KADOKAWA/
    It stores all other information correctly but when exiting MV and them upon reopen, MV removes the projectFileUrl= line, forcing me to reopen my project. Not a huge issue but it is a bug.

I'll continue to debug to ensure it's not an issue on my side of things and let you know if I figure anything out. As for the above bug reported by sillicaandpina, I too have the same bug, where MV crashes upon choosing a tile as an event image. I will also debug this further soon and provide a bit more information as it's an important feature, what is an RPG Maker game without tile event images!

lspci output:
    glxinfo | grep "OpenGL" output:

Windows i7 likes this.
  14. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, there's not really a need for an AAA encryption, because no matter how hardcore you encrypt it, the very first link of the unencryption step always has to be unencrypted, otherwise JS won't be able to read it and decrypt the rest. That is the nature of interpreted languages - you have to provide raw instructions, because there's no decompiler.
    You can do a lot of things to make potential stealers' life harder: obfuscate the code, change the file formats manually (if you rename for example "rpg_core.js" to "rpg_core.jpg", then as long as you tell the HTML to load it as javascript, everything will be fine), you can even merge javascripts together, create dummy files... But you will never be able to reliably protect your games and assets unless you upload them to an external server (like Kongregate), but I can't recommend that, because an RMMV game on Kongregate has terrible performance. Not saying it's the game's fault, Kongregate has its own junk, but...
    This is the reason why I have delved into some C# studies. Because C# is a compiled language, it provides way safer area, because all instructions will be stored inside the game's exe file. So if you can convert these scripts to C# and render the game through OpenGL or Direct3D, you'll be able to reliably encrypt the game assets (Not sure how easy it is to decompile C# code though). However, in the process of converting a game to C# you'll lose many advantages of MV and Javascript: PIXI support, cross platform portability, HTML5 portability, easy edits of scripts, all plugins will be lost or require manual conversion to C# code, and I could continue.

All decryption process is stored inside MV's rpg_core.js. It is 100% open to edits and you can create your own decryption steps there. I have experimented with implementation of rabbit.js and it worked fine, I just paid the price in terms of slight performance decrease. But as I said, it's very hard to create decent security in an interpreted language.

15. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Poryg , if I recall correctly, UWP does compile Javascript to binary, as long as it's formatted to UTF-8 BOM. Could the same thing happen on other platforms?

16. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @AceOfAces_Mod Maybe it could. But I'm not fond of Javascript in UWP, because you need to communicate through bridges. Also, UWP is limited only to Win 10.
    If you want to use Javascript or multiplatforming, it would be better to choose C++ or Java. I'm sure there are ways for C++ to read Javascript and as for Java, JDK 8 and newer support ECMAScript 5 and experimentally support ES6. But since jar files are easy to decompile, you'd have to use crtain programs to create binaries as well.

17. elpeleq42

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh wow... So, taking a look at it... Encryption key is basically saved inside "System.json", a text file unencrypted inside our game project, and everything necessary to use it is inside rpg_core.js?
    Well, now i understand why they say it is so weak. I totally wouldn't use that.

But what you said is true. Is really hard to encrypt a game, which will always need to leave something unencrypted for it to be opened.

18. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah. A blessing and a curse. If you want, send me a PM, I'll tell you a little bit about implementing your own encryption. I won't provide any exact code or ready made functions, but I'll try my best to explain.

19. silicaandpina

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not even this can protect your game fully, because the browser downloads the game whenever you access it on the server, and you could also just take a look at some of the json files and find every file being used by your game that way...

Not sure C# is the best choice for this.. as C# is incredibly easy to decompile and see the code.

C# is strange its like interpreted and compiled at the same time. it runs similarly to java (where code is 'compiled' for a runtime program's ASM and then that same runtime program interprets it to your processor's ASM.) this way you just need to port the runtime to another platform and most of the code will run the same.. but its still 'compiled'

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  20. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    have there been any changes in pixi-tilemap.js
    if yes, could anyone share this js please from 1.6? plz
    I will be thankfull.
    i need take a look in the
    PHP: