Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, fellow RPG makers,
Since Soulpour has deleted his videos, there are no real MV scripting materials, so I've decided to fill the place. Unlike my PIXI DIY series I am going to take this from the ground up to make it as non-niche as possible so that more people can benefit from it.

In this part I will introduce the MV's data structures.

Required: RPG maker MV, an IDE (some of the most popular ones are Atom, Sublime text 2, Visual Studio Code (which I use) or Eclipse), some knowledge of Javascript is mandatory, Object-oriented programming can help a great deal.

I'm aware that Youtube has butchered the sound quality, so I've added subtitles in case you don't understand clearly.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello. Can you recommend an IDE or two for people? I know for some that is a holdup on plug-in writing in MV as they don't know of a good one to use.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Copy that. Done.

Arisilde

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm glad someone is taking up the torch on this. As someone who is just starting out trying to learn to script, it's been a big annoyance trying to find decent resources for it.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arisilde To be honest, no wonder. The people that are interested in coding are a minority. Ever since MV, Yanfly plugins and Mog plugins were a thing, this minority has gotten even lower. From what I've read here, in past people used to actually discuss code. Nowadays the prevalent question is "Is there a plugin for X?" and for the most part the only ones interested in making their own plugins already have programming experience. So we have a discord community of lunatic coders (people capable of using Yanfly's lunatic mode) and we have a programming community, which are mostly lurkers though, because they don't need the help of others, since for the most part they're self-sufficient.
But try to find someone who doesn't have programming experience, but wants to learn... They're not too many. I reckon a thousand views in 5 years will already be a lot.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finished up the second video. Thanks for being thorough ^^ I've watched a few videos on the subject before, and I've done a lot of digging myself. Still, even knowing how to make my own windows, this video helps me understand the stuff I was actually doing. Realized how much of what I knew about Windows was just knowing to do it, not why.

Arisilde

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Poryg Ah yeah, fair enough. That makes sense. My first stop was actually to start looking into scripting tbh. I looked at a lot of the plugins, and they do all sorts of neat stuff, but most of them are extremely bloated with features I don't want/need, and most of them don't do exactly what I want to do, so I figured it would be better to learn from them and then build something more tailored to myself.

I don't have a whole lot of coding experience, but i have started learning C# in the past, and I am not tinkering with JS for this. I'm picking it up faster than expected, but it's still a bit difficult to learn when a lot of the code is dependent on game variables you don't have access to with your IDE, and there is not a lot of tutorials out there telling you how to bridge that gap. Once I get past that hurdle and get a nice workflow going I think it'll speed up my learning.

As always, learning what you need to learn is often more difficult than learning the thing itself, since you're coming from a place of no knowledge. So don't always even know what questions to ask.

Bigtys

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for making this @Poryg its great that you are making it for people who want to learn to code their own stuff for their games or understand how the software/pluggins work a bit more

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
X.X ... Oh, this is going to be one of those things where I look at it, groan cuz it looks hard, then grit my teeth and wade through it all anyway until I get results..... just like my Programming 1 and 2 classes with C++ *sigh*.....memories. Im still not great at arrays :[ . Oh well, pluggin makin' , here I come. X3 Thanks for making these vids!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Even if you made 1% progress today in your making-game, that's 100% success!
This is Ralph from VX!
index.php

Always be consistent with your project.
Making backups regularly is good for the soul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fia