#1 - introduction to MV scripting

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by Poryg, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, fellow RPG makers,
    Since Soulpour has deleted his videos, there are no real MV scripting materials, so I've decided to fill the place. Unlike my PIXI DIY series I am going to take this from the ground up to make it as non-niche as possible so that more people can benefit from it.

In this part I will introduce the MV's data structures.

Required: RPG maker MV, an IDE (some of the most popular ones are Atom, Sublime text 2, Visual Studio Code (which I use) or Eclipse), some knowledge of Javascript is mandatory, Object-oriented programming can help a great deal.

I'm aware that Youtube has butchered the sound quality, so I've added subtitles in case you don't understand clearly.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello. Can you recommend an IDE or two for people? I know for some that is a holdup on plug-in writing in MV as they don't know of a good one to use.

3. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Copy that. Done.

4. Arisilde

Arisilde Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm glad someone is taking up the torch on this. As someone who is just starting out trying to learn to script, it's been a big annoyance trying to find decent resources for it.

standardplayer likes this.
  5. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Arisilde To be honest, no wonder. The people that are interested in coding are a minority. Ever since MV, Yanfly plugins and Mog plugins were a thing, this minority has gotten even lower. From what I've read here, in past people used to actually discuss code. Nowadays the prevalent question is "Is there a plugin for X?" and for the most part the only ones interested in making their own plugins already have programming experience. So we have a discord community of lunatic coders (people capable of using Yanfly's lunatic mode) and we have a programming community, which are mostly lurkers though, because they don't need the help of others, since for the most part they're self-sufficient.
    But try to find someone who doesn't have programming experience, but wants to learn... They're not too many. I reckon a thousand views in 5 years will already be a lot.

6. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Finished up the second video. Thanks for being thorough ^^ I've watched a few videos on the subject before, and I've done a lot of digging myself. Still, even knowing how to make my own windows, this video helps me understand the stuff I was actually doing. Realized how much of what I knew about Windows was just knowing to do it, not why.

7. Arisilde

Arisilde Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Ah yeah, fair enough. That makes sense. My first stop was actually to start looking into scripting tbh. I looked at a lot of the plugins, and they do all sorts of neat stuff, but most of them are extremely bloated with features I don't want/need, and most of them don't do exactly what I want to do, so I figured it would be better to learn from them and then build something more tailored to myself.

I don't have a whole lot of coding experience, but i have started learning C# in the past, and I am not tinkering with JS for this. I'm picking it up faster than expected, but it's still a bit difficult to learn when a lot of the code is dependent on game variables you don't have access to with your IDE, and there is not a lot of tutorials out there telling you how to bridge that gap. Once I get past that hurdle and get a nice workflow going I think it'll speed up my learning.

As always, learning what you need to learn is often more difficult than learning the thing itself, since you're coming from a place of no knowledge. So don't always even know what questions to ask.

Milk Bar Prophet likes this.
  8. Hahasea

Hahasea Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Bigtys

Bigtys Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for making this @Poryg its great that you are making it for people who want to learn to code their own stuff for their games or understand how the software/pluggins work a bit more

10. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    X.X ... Oh, this is going to be one of those things where I look at it, groan cuz it looks hard, then grit my teeth and wade through it all anyway until I get results..... just like my Programming 1 and 2 classes with C++ *sigh*.....memories. Im still not great at arrays :[ . Oh well, pluggin makin' , here I come. X3 Thanks for making these vids!