1 Month In: What are your favorite things about RMMV?

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, Rpg Maker MV has been out for a month now, and while it does have it's issues, and they have been thoroughly discussed, I am not trying to sugarcoat them. But it also has a lot of minor improvements over Ace that I am hugely thankful for. I was wondering what peoples FAVORITE things about the new engine are. While I haven't used the engine much, yet, but from what I have used, I really, REALLY enjoy the fact that you can be testing your game, AND use the editor at the same time. I also like that the whole system can be altered via Javascript. Granted, I don't know how to code (yet), but it's a goal of mine to learn at least 1 language. I also like the options you can turn on and off with a click of a box in the system menu. Especially side-view battles! that is awesome. And exporting to Android is huge. I hear it costs $100 to get onto googles market, but I think I have a solid market to corner when I have some experience. But I digress...

What do you folks think? what are your favorite things about RPG maker MV?

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Plugin parameters just improved general QOL

I agree - editing the game while the PlayTest window is still open - no more taking notes in notepad of things to go back and fix!

The character generator doesn't suck

Although I still prefer parallaxing, editor mapping is so much better than Ace

Probably other things... ;)

Zortik

The Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I suppose that I like that I own it and I like that there is still an awesome community around to expand on it.

Work has been brutal, so outside of poking around for resources I would like and collecting them like a ferret... I haven't actually done much of anything in the maker :C

Not the worst thing though. Just like with the previous makers, those who start the race late have a lot of community provided content to enhance their games with. Makes me feel better by thinking I can save a little on the rework time.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The ease of adding plugins and simple parameter options built in as a menu. It's really convenient for most people, who don't really understand the old way of scripts.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
3 layered mapping! I'm loving it. I still love clumping and editing tiles but three-layered mapping makes it so much easier to get a more natural looking map. Also, 1 month in and the community has produced 6 pages of resources. That's amazing! And, I totally agree with the ability to edit while you test. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellye

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Not having to use in-editor Script Editor. This makes everything so much more confortable and quickier.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The ease of adding plugins and simple parameter options built in as a menu. It's really convenient for most people, who don't really understand the old way of scripts.
Easy to use for user a pain to code though =3="

No hidden classes  :mrsatan:   :mrsatan:   :mrsatan:
Dat DAT! DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do love the fact we have a lot's of flexibility and premade stuff it's sure sad they don't have a lots of behavior pose

Victor Sant

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I like everything except the fact that the game test shortcut is now ctrl + R instead of F12. I still hitting F12 to start test plays....

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Character generator feels WAY better than VX Ace's, the quality is on par with the RTP sets and there is little excuse not to make your own character sets with expressions now. Especially with the growing add-ons popping up every now and then.

Plugins. I'm no scripter and no coder or programmer, so simplified tools like this makes the life of "programmer-illiterate" people like me a whole lot easier.

I only wish they could've added more animations and different sound effects, though.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Character generator feels WAY better than VX Ace's, the quality is on par with the RTP sets and there is little excuse not to make your own character sets with expressions now. Especially with the growing add-ons popping up every now and then.

Plugins. I'm no scripter and no coder or programmer, so simplified tools like this makes the life of "programmer-illiterate" people like me a whole lot easier.

I only wish they could've added more animations and different sound effects, though.
For sure. I always cringe a little at the vx ace generator because it doesn't look natural at all.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There was a funny contest last year using the character generator from Ace. my word, the faces that that generator could come up with! 

I thoroughly enjoy the upgrade with MV for the character generator. They don't look so crazy and whacked out. lol

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do I like about it the most?

• Sideview Battle System
  • Editing during Play Testing
  • HTML5 compatible (not export since it starts off as HTML5 from the get-go)
  • Ability to export to mobile (games are still slow, but we'll get there)
  • HTML Manual for easier reading
  • Better Character Generator
  • Ease of resolution change (seriously, THIS is far easier to deal with now and thanks to Yanfly for his work on his Core Engine since it got provided out of the box and allows us to change resolutions easily)
  • All the fresh new talent in the community (coders and artists)
There's too many things I love about to list without it being WAY too long, but those are my main points.  Special thanks to the Degica team for their hard work in helping to release the English version for us at the same time as the Japanese version, the coders that provided the initial set of plugins and to all the artists that worked on the Essentials Set and Cover Art Characters.

Sadly, I haven't used MV in about a week, for two reasons.  Gaming and waiting to see if a certain plugin ever gets released.  Before anyone tells me to request it, I did, but no one wanted to take it on, so I'll wait to see if the original scripter that made it for Ace will make it for MV.  Seems they are going in that direction, but we'll see.  Once I'm done gaming, however, I'll get back to work on my secondary project which uses a lot of parallax mapping.  Love it. :]

Prizm Daystar

Social Butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've only used it for about three days since getting it and it's kept me up until 4AM every single one of those nights.  I think the whole of it is a favorite thing, and using the base/altering through plugins/making custom tilesets, portraits, and battlers would be akin to spending decades at Hogwarts -- there will always, always, always be something new to discover about it.

Ooh, I think I've found what my favorite thing is, in that case.  Learning how to use it, and how powerful it can become from other flexibilities...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

finished the second chapter of deltarune today, I gotta say that the 3 years wait was worth it lol
Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roeigold123