HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Got this idea from the engaging battle thread. I don't know which game I'm going to use this for yet, but I'm just curious on what people's thoughts are on having one skill per playable character. You would be able to choose what skill you're going to use before you start battling (maybe from the menu). Here's why you'd only get one skill though. We all hate when you have to navigate through 8 different menus to cast a skill. So what I was thinking was doing like a beat-em-up and having Attack mapped to A, Skill mapped to X, Item mapped to Y, and Escape mapped to B. Maybe a charge-up skill mapped to a bumper or something. I figure just having to press a button should be super useful in speeding up a battle.

TinyRecorder

Tiny Steps & Rainy Stars
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sounds like a neat idea, lots of playstyle potential, but I would go like maybe 2 or 3 skills (not counting attack command.)

1 skill is gonna get spammy, which isn't entirely a bad thing, but it could get monotonous fast.

all hate when you have to navigate through 8 different menus to cast a skill.
Making the assumption I could change my 1 skill out whenever, I can already see a potential tedium of; open menu, swap to my heal skill, cast, open menu, swap back to my fire skill, or whatever, and so on.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's a fair point. I was actually thinking you can only swap your skill in the pause menu, not in the battle. Of course, this wouldn't really work for random encounters when you don't know what you're going to be fighting.

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kindred Novel has something like this. Each character has a skill and a variation of it if you get the timing right. (Not entirely sure if they only have exactly one skill tho)

It can certainly work. Largely depends on the combat system as a whole.

Hadria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it serves, I'm working a similar concept regarding skills for my project. Skills come sorely from gear, and gear can only be changed before departing on an adventure from the "base", at any given time a character will have 5 active skills instead of 1 (2 from weapon, 2 from armor, and 1 from trinket) along with some passive effects, these skills fall into 3 categories: damage dealing, crowd control, and auxiliary skills, with some skills being able to do various of this (for example a skill that damages enemies on a row but also can apply a stun).

The goal is to have the player think about how to best build a team to achieve the objective and face the enemies in each area before departing, different areas have different enemies and there are a bunch of bosses in which the player will have to change the way to go about them.

TinyRecorder

Tiny Steps & Rainy Stars
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's a fair point. I was actually thinking you can only swap your skill in the pause menu, not in the battle. Of course, this wouldn't really work for random encounters when you don't know what you're going to be fighting.
I was also mostly thinking in menu, sorry if I worded that weird.

But you know, in battle could still work. Maybe once per turn like switching Personas, Pokemon, or partners in Paper Mario. You could even even make it cost your whole turn if you wanted, I'd pay my turn to make a strategic swap like that.

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Replace "1" with "8" and that's more or less how I remember the Tales of Symphonia skills working. I think each character could know more skills at a time than that, but you only got 8 buttons with which to cast them so you had to choose your favorites.

I definitely remember that once a skill was learned, you could keep it until you opted to replace it. Symphonia had a T/S spectrum (technique/skill, I think?) with a full kit of spells on each side. How you used the character influenced where on that spectrum they fell.

It's been a long time, I don't remember the finer points of it, but I'm pretty sure there were two "levels" on which you could change skills--swapping active and inactive skills in the menu, and re-training to learn skills on the other side of your skill tree.

FarOutFighter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
definitely not opposed to it. Final Fantasy V sort of did that with some jobs I think. It would just be difficult I think to balance. Healing comes to mind. One character for healing hp, one for healing ailments, another for reviving... seems overly complex to me. But maybe the healer has a skill that does all 3 in one skill. Idk!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

IGMC is back everyone!
Fun challenge: Guess the name of this enemy!
Watchman.png
Nearly done with the topmost deck of the SS Astrale Symphonie (she's got a name at last!). Still needs a lot of work but at least now it is vaguely recognizable as a ship deck. Working at a snail's pace but it's coming together. :kaopride:
Screenshot-2022-06-30-104933.png
Letting people know I'm debating leaving RM, and thus this forum. I'll continue to keep in touch with any friends I've made here, but between Unity being better suited to my needs and people on here getting increasingly horrible, I think switching my games to Unity might be better for my mental health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolwebsite