Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here are some Ideas i could think of for a Single Map Game :

- Focus more on Story and Dialogues to extend Gameplay. Make all the objects interactive, So Player spends much time looking around and trying to do things.
- Plan a Side-Mechanic or Feature like Player House / Gardening / Battle Training etc. Games that involve Mini Games or fun Side Mechanics make up for lack of Content.
- Plan Progression of events. You could use the same Map in 3 different ways - Past, Present and Future if you slightly vary the Encounters, Objects and Weather settings.
- Make every single event Interactive and memorable by adding a Notebook, Beastiary, Quest or Achievement Feature so it motivates player to look into them from time to time.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here are some Ideas i could think of for a Single Map Game :

- Focus more on Story and Dialogues to extend Gameplay. Make all the objects interactive, So Player spends much time looking around and trying to do things.
- Plan a Side-Mechanic or Feature like Player House / Gardening / Battle Training etc. Games that involve Mini Games or fun Side Mechanics make up for lack of Content.
- Plan Progression of events. You could use the same Map in 3 different ways - Past, Present and Future if you slightly vary the Encounters, Objects and Weather settings.
- Make every single event Interactive and memorable by adding a Notebook, Beastiary, Quest or Achievement Feature so it motivates player to look into them from time to time.
Some sort of earnable record keeper could be useful.

I also don't know how well this is(from a programing side) but I'm currently making 4 different school maps, one for each 'day/predungeon' section.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MerlinCross Good idea. Prove your game first, complete it. Then, if you want, expand on the idea and make the game bigger or do another one.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@MerlinCross Good idea. Prove your game first, complete it. Then, if you want, expand on the idea and make the game bigger or do another one.
Thanks. I'm actually trying to follow along Yanfly's "Let's make a game" comic. It might be pretty 'basic' but it's helped me try to focus in on things as my lizard brain will sometimes go look for something and then lose 2-3 hours just looking at assets and plugins.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry for the double post but something I am finding it hard to deal with on a 'single town' idea is making sure all the doors and transfers go to where I actually need or want them to be.

Thus far I'm splitting it up over the course of "Days" and labeling the rooms as such (Like School 2, School 3) but sometimes it crops up and during play test I'm basically time traveling between these different 'day states'.

Annoying but manageable.

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I ended up doing this too. It's been a while since I finished a game so I gave myself a very small project that I could actually finish. Since I was playing Persona 4 again, I made it a quick murder mystery in a small town. The time system felt pretty essential so the player couldn't just do everything until something worked. A basic 4 phase day/night cycle and a hard time limit (1 week until the killer escapes) put a nice limit on the player's actions and created a lose condition that ends the game no matter what.

My game seems a lot smaller than what you are making, but it feels great to have a finished project again. Don't be afraid to scale it back since you can always go back and add in more later. I also recommend creating the event that ends the game as one of the first things you do. It helped me a lot to have it around so it was less like a never-ending hallway to complete the game and more like just adding more to the middle parts.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MerlinCross Hmm. It sounds like you're having trouble with switches? When quest A is complete, the switch A should turn on. So now your characters should have different dialogue with that condition on. Your door events should also go to the new switch A rooms if the layout is supposed to have changed. Make sure the exit is set to your world with switch A on.

I haven't gotten this far in my project but this is how I envision this to work.

magnaangemon01

Miles Montgomery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could also put sidequests and minigames inside the town. Try and add some life or content to the town to get the player to invest in and become attached to it. They're more likely to use it as a base instead of a respite in between dungeons.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
seeing this is just making me think "azure dreams on ps1" "any persona game"
i found them enjoyable for 1 playthrough but very little replay value since there is next to nothing for exploration and discovery, just being railroaded into a storyline.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My game seems a lot smaller than what you are making, but it feels great to have a finished project again. Don't be afraid to scale it back since you can always go back and add in more later. I also recommend creating the event that ends the game as one of the first things you do. It helped me a lot to have it around so it was less like a never-ending hallway to complete the game and more like just adding more to the middle parts.
Actually I have the frame work for the first 4 days/dungeons set up. Fleshing it up will be an issue(Oh god how do I do dungeon 2?).

As it is, you can get from the start of the game to the end of the game. So at it's most base form, the game is finished, though I will have to add in dungeon 5-6 but later. I wanted 4 bosses as a base line "I can do this" thing.

@MerlinCross Hmm. It sounds like you're having trouble with switches? When quest A is complete, the switch A should turn on. So now your characters should have different dialogue with that condition on. Your door events should also go to the new switch A rooms if the layout is supposed to have changed. Make sure the exit is set to your world with switch A on.

I haven't gotten this far in my project but this is how I envision this to work.
....I hadn't thought to make it as switches but it might be more work to double back and do that.

I've been doing Transfer events and having to double check to make sure all my transfers lead to the right Day.

You could also put sidequests and minigames inside the town. Try and add some life or content to the town to get the player to invest in and become attached to it. They're more likely to use it as a base instead of a respite in between dungeons.
Well I'm planing on each club having a system tied to it after you unlock it.

This isn't COMPLEX yet. On the drawing board it's just "Find X, turn in X, you get Y". I would have to figure out some mini games though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^
Been updating my game's control scheme to optionally use a mouse. Now the player pixel moves towards the mouse destination, which looks super sweet with the sparkles. Also turns out I made a Mouse Common Event plugin at some point... Thanks past me. :LZSexcite: Now the mouse wheel cycles different forms, and the right mouse button activates that form's special. :LZScool:
Oh man the controls in Mario Sunshine are pretty awful and I haven't even witnessed the controls without FLUDD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MxMachine