11 Reasons RPG Maker MV might not load from Steam

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by mystic0, Sep 3, 2019.

1. mystic0

mystic0 Freeman Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had been using RPG Maker MV on my desktop for years without issue. I recently got a new laptop and left on a long term trip, so I didn't get enough time to really check on compatibilities before I left. The last few days I've been trying to get RPG Maker to load from Steam. The splash page would load and then it would crash. I had read through every article I could find on the issue and put them here.

1. Ran the Steam verifier. Steam should automatically repair any corruption.
    2. If your redistributable have become corrupt: Try to manually install the Microsoft 2015 redistributable.
    3. Your firewall is blocking certain functionality: Disabled firewall and run from the Steam directory "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MV\RPGMV.exe".
    4. RPG Maker isn't running with enough permissions: Go to the Steam folder and run as admin on "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MV\RPGMV.exe".
    5. The registry is corrupt or uninstall/reinstall RPG Maker: Uninstall RPG Maker > Started download > Restarted Computer > Finished Download > Ran installer
    6. Steam isn't updated: Try to update Steam.
    7. Steam isn't updating: If Steam isn't updating then upgrade Steam to beta.
    8. Video Drivers are outdated: Checked drivers, device manager is saying that I'm only using Microsoft basic. In case you don't know or remember your specific video card, here are the directions. After opening the device manager, right-click on the device. Go to properties. Then go to the details tab. Select the property: Hardware Ids. This will give you a value at the top like PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_12FF. You can then google the Ven & Dev numbers to find the right driver. In my case, it said it successfully installed, but device manager is still showing Microsoft basic video card driver. Restarted computer and still Microsoft basic.
    8a. Checked the video driver documentation and my video drivers are only compatible with Windows 10 build 1809 or newer. To find your build number either hit the Windows button + r then type Winver or click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner, type Winver into the search bar. I updated Windows to 1906. After updating Windows, it automatically switched over to the new video card drivers.
    9. You have a very old video card: You need to have opengl32.dll installed. In most cases, it should be in the Windows folder, but sometimes it isn't.
    10. Audio Drivers: Similar to the video drivers directions.
    11. Your computer doesn't meet the minimum system requirements.

If you find any I missed, please tell me :)

Attached Files:

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you mean the engine/editor itself won't load,k or you are trying to test play a game, and that's what won't load?

3. mystic0

mystic0 Freeman Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Editor wouldn't load. I had loaded up a game but it ran very choppy.