"12bit: Towers of Conquest" Needs a level designer (Mapper)

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This has been a largely quiet project on the front. With some recent development and a few lucky breaks, I've been developing the game further.

Synopsis
12bit: Towers of Conquest Is the working title of a side-scrolling rogue-like RPG. It's based off of an old RPG Maker VX game called Final Fantasy Worlds.
Final Fantasy Worlds was highly fun, but lacked content and features.

Final Fantasy Worlds would begin with a randomly generated story. The story would lead you to the entrance of a dungeon. The dungeon was divided into 3 sections with a final boss at the end. The 3 sections were made up of 5 randomly generated levels. As you made it to the next section, the fights became harder. At the end you were allowed to keep your inventory and a new game would start with unlocked classes.

It was simple, but enjoyable.

Towers of Conquest is similar. You begin by choosing your party from the list of classes.

12bit%20Character%20Selection.png

Grayed out are the unlockable classes.

A story is randomly generated from 5 parts. The first part is what the quest of your party is. The second is how your party ended up where it is (This generates the starting town). The third part is the major obstacle you must overcome (This generates the Tower). The fourth part is the big bad that bars your way from the tower (This generates the final boss). And the fifth part is the minor obstacle to begin with. (This generates the first dungeon).

There are 4 sections each split by level gap. (1-5), (6-10), (11-15), (16-20). You must complete them sequentially. The next section will not unlock until you beat the boss at the end of a section.

There are also 3 towns to help you out after reaching certain levels (1, 8, 16). Each town may have a quest-giver as well.

0Sideview%20RPG5.png

You earn points as you beat enemies, bosses, and complete quests. You lose points for certain actions, like saving, saving in a dungeon, using healing services, using certain skills, etc.  The points accumulated are spent at the end of the game to unlock features, unlock hidden dungeons, increase probabilities, carry items or skills over to a new game, unlock classes, etc.

The Battle System is a basic ATB much in the same vein as a few of the Final Fantasy series. The skills and classes have mostly been drawn up, and will eventually have numbers punched into them for balancing.

BATTLE.png
Screenshots
 ​
Most the screenshots are in the synopsis, but if you're interested in the class list I'll post it here:

Char%20Sheet.png
Qualifications
 ​
The Level Designer must demonstrate understanding of a good level with narrow corridors.

Must demonstrate how to break up monotony and repetition that result in bad levels.

Must be able to work with templates, but show independent work.

Must be able to design in 2D Sideview which has no platforming capabilities.

Must be open to brainstorming early level mechanics using templates and be able to offer suggestions.

No eventing needed. No artistic abilities needed.

Can be Tile-Setter or Parallax. Parallax preferred.

Must be able to work consistently, with low supervision.

Must be able to meet deadlines.

Must be open to regular communication with Project Director. Preferable method, Skype.

The level design for this project is simpler than RPG Maker's typical level design, but offers new and unique challenges.

The volume of maps that need creating is a lot as well.

I need a level designer so that I can focus on the coding and artwork. Also, level development kills my enthusiasm for projects.

To apply, contact me through PM here or email at loren_hickerson @ hotmail.com

Current Examples of some levels:

0EarlyLevel%201.png

0EarlyLevel%202.png

0EarlyLevel%203.png

0EarlyLevel%204.png

0EarlyLevel%205.png
Kickstarter
 ​
I am planning on bringing this project up for a Kickstarter. This will result in payment for those involved. But as Kickstarter is not a guaranteed thing I certainly can't guarantee payment.

My Kickstarter campaign will begin when I have the first running demo of my game I can video. This simply requires 4 animated classes and the first dungeon to be completed. In order to do that I'm just waiting on my animator and doing what I can with the dungeon design. Then I'll simply plug in some numbers into the game and demo the gameplay.

If you join me as a Level Designer, we can discuss a fair pay agreement as part of the Kickstarter fund.

I'm not just looking for a temporary hire, but someone who can work with me in the long run.

Offer [Pay, Trade, Rights]​
 ​
Besides Pay potential, I can also offer you a trade, such as my art, writing, eventing, or scripting skills. As well, I can offer you the rights to use any resource I made for the project in one of your own projects.

My work and description of what I do can be found here:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/30009-complex-system-developer/

Project Status
 ​
The project currently has an Animator who is working (albeit slowly) on the animations for the character classes. It also has a potential coder, who may assist in transferring the platform to Unity or Java to reach a broader audience.

Currently I have been working solo on all the assets and developing the game thus far.

I would say it's 70% of the way through Pre-Production and 30% of the way through Production.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bump.

I've got a few levels added to the list, though they need to be worked on to have better detail and visual design. However since they're functional I can use them.

I've also changed my tags and offers.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bump, now that this has fallen onto the second page.

No big updates. I did a lot of the map for the first dungeon in order to have something for a video demo, but I haven't put in the decoration for it. I still have a lot of maps that must be created, and I'm too busy working on the art, designing systems, and scripting. (I also dislike having to map) So I still would appreciate a level designer/mapper to help me move through this project.

Either PM me, Email me, or drop a message on this thread.

Support and encouragement posts are also appreciated.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bump!

I'm placing the groundwork for the story and wouldn't mind the input and editing of a writer for this part of the project.

The excerpts are very short (intentionally), and I'm mainly in need of someone who can help me edit the excerpts and whole device in order to ensure flow and structure for every possible plot outcome.  It's important you understand the concept of the "entertainment curve" to assist me here.  There's also room to write or add excerpts into the project.

The writer position is non-paid, and rather small in scale. Probably an afternoon or weekends worth of discussion. But you are able to see the game and will be credited.

As for the mapper/level designer position, I'm still looking for someone to fill this position. Please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This looks like an interesting project, and I wish you luck with it on kickstarter.

I have to admit the main reason I'm commenting as I couldn't help but notice that you're willing to pay for the services of a Level Designer, but not for a Writer/Editor to "ensure flow and structure for every possible plot outcome". I don't think you meant to imply that the services of a level designer is worth paying for, but not a writer's. Granted the level designer would have to do far more work as you outlined in your original post, but a writer/editor still brings a certain amount of expertise to a project.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I certainly value a writer as much as a level designer. However, the project is not structured to be heavy on writing. For that reason, I'm not looking for a paid level of work from a writer.

I would certainly enjoy working with a writer, and it may be an enjoyable experience for a writer. For that reason I could use a writer's opinion and input, as well as anything they'd like to contribute within the scope of the project. However, this isn't a project where a player will sit down and say "Man, the writing on this game was great!"

It's about the scope of the project, that's all. This isn't a project that is meant to attract a paid writer.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Minor bump. Project is still going, and I'm excited! If you would like to contribute simply follow the steps in the first post. I always appreciate interest as well.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bump again.

I'm looking for interested Level Designers.

If you're wondering about the resources in this game which you can use in your own should you trade I'll post a few samples.

As well, here's a screenshot of the world map I'm designing as part of the "Level Select."

SC.png

Here are four of 100 finished current battlers. These are not to be distributed, linked, or used in any project, commercial or non, nor are they to be altered. These are samples that will be available for trade.

Dark%20Wind.png
Flora.png
Skeleton.png
Water%20Dragon.png

The tileset will be expanded as well, taking in suggestions from the level designer.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Artists out there, is there something RPG maker related you wish your graphics software had but doesn't? (Something like automatically transform a wall tile into a cylindrical tower). I want to give a boost to WecTools, but I'm dry of ideas right now...
having anxiety during all this virus stuff is the absolute worst. I'm the only one missing out on my friend's wedding in Sept. because I can't be in large groups of people anymore due to anxiety.
Well... I just spent most of the day making something I cant even use xD

Hero_1.png
The idea was to look at the original but at a medium distance.
In hindsight, I might as well have just edited the original lol... I didn't intend for it to end up so similar.
does anyone else feel tired after completing a sprite?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naidesu