Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I need to increase my character's sprite size from 32x48 to 48x72, which is a 150% scale. Obviously this is not a clean multiple so half the pixels are too big and the other half too small.

Original:
1594408513695.png

150% scale:
1594408572844.png

200% would be too big for my purposes, while 150% is just right. Is there a way to deal with the issue of every other pixel being stretched? (e.g. look how his left tusk is twice as thick as his right tusk)

thecursedcometh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this sort of what you're looking for?

If so, I used GIMP (which is free) and went to Image > Scale Image, set the measure to percent rather than pixels, and changed Interpolation to cubic, which helps with the pixel stretching.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
+50% scaling is the for pixels, scaling 50% never goes right.
100%, 200%, 300% are always better, scaling by 0.5x is manually editting needed.

photoshop (paid), gimp, krita (free) and some other free software has all the same issue.

so you have to zoom in to 300-400x, take the selection tool or eraser tool, and remove
the offset pixels untill you think its good enough.
1594408572844.png (edited version to remove offset pixels.)

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this sort of what you're looking for?

If so, I used GIMP (which is free) and went to Image > Scale Image, set the measure to percent rather than pixels, and changed Interpolation to cubic, which helps with the pixel stretching.

Hope this helps.
Thx! Depending on how blurry it ends up looking in-game, this might do!

so you have to zoom in to 300-400x, take the selection tool or eraser tool, and remove
the offset pixels untill you think its good enough.
Yea this was what I was afraid of...

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
manually scaling always becomes blurry,
some things you can do a bit manually (like the 150% of the golem I edited from yours)
it become nicer than "thecursedcometh" which is a bit blurry.

but most times, there is no good way to scale, other than manually :)
thecursedcometh attemp which is a bit blurry has still offset pixels.

but its up to you which one you use or if you want to attempt it nicely :)

mine was rather a quick edit example, might need some tiny adjustment though.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea the bicubic version is a bit blurry. I do like the manual version more, however, I have entire sprite sheets with 132 frames per character and multiple characters... That's a daunting amount of work!:kaoback:

That's why I was hoping for a non-manual way of doing this.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could help, but I got not much time this week or next week though.
to busy outside and for someone else. in RL which takes priority.

but hé! result counts ^^ or scale it and polish later bit by bit, like 10 per day.
and in 2 weeks, you have 132 characters done :D

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Where did you even find take many frames per character that isn't Jesse's medieval characters?! I'm asking, because I assume if they were yours you would have made them larger to start. I could be wrong here though.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Try this: Scale the originals up by 3x as much (300%) then scale the new ones by 50%. That will combine for a 150% scale. You may need to do minor edits but image programs find it easier to do whole intervals than partial and this takes advantage of that.

Also you could try the steps in reverse order too and see if you like that result better (scale down by 50%, then up by 300%).

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the result stays the same @bgillisp if you go from 300 to 150%, the number of pixels
will have the same effect as scale from 100% to 150%, only whole numbers works.

manually edits for MV if its from 100 to 125%, 150% or 175% always need edits.
or rather, everything between 100-200-300-400 etc needs edits.

but its time consuming to edit.

@Guardinthena , 132 frames, cannot be from the creator, but he could
edit from 8 frames and add more in between for more smoothness.

I dont know the medieval though, but this also a wild guess.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've actually had reasonable luck with 50% though as it is a half size, hence why I suggest it. You'll need edits but not as badly as just jumping to 150%. And many artists make things way too big then scale down with 0 issues so somewhere on the way a scale down does work...

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where did you even find take many frames per character that isn't Jesse's medieval characters?! I'm asking, because I assume if they were yours you would have made them larger to start. I could be wrong here though.
Copy-pasted from my post in my project thread:
Edit: @Kupotepo Also, the character sprites are not from RPG Maker at all. They are free assets from Liberated Pixel Cup and licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 & GPLv3.

There's also a buff version available at OpenGameArt.org (which I'll be using as a base for my Orcs)

Also found a sprite generator for these.

I'm using these due to LeCode's TBS having combat take place on the map instead of a battle scene so I needed 4 directional character sprites with attack animations. It required some editing (moving frames around) to make it work, but nothing too difficult.
This Orc I made is a Frankenstein edit I made from this for the body and this for the head (which I hue-shifted). This is his walk animation:
Orc_male__move.png
It took me half of yesterday just to mesh the head and the body nicely. I had to move his head up a couple of pixels as well to make it look "right". I much prefer this skin tone instead of the stock bright green on the generator. Pretty proud of this sprite sheet I must say. ^.^

It's 132 frames in total due to the attack, cast, bow, idle, dmg, dead, and walk animations.

PS: Plz excuse his nudity, sry...:kaoswt:

Last edited:

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh! That is so interesting! I had no idea that generator existed. That is neat that someone took the time to put that together.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
See how small the 32x48 sprite is compared to the objects in the room? He looks way too small and can barely reach the countertop! lol
1594421788868.png

The middle is the blurry 150% version and the left is an unaltered 150% version. At least they look much more proportional to the rest of the room.

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Hmm, you could just copy the left half of the 150% scale sprite, paste it, and then rotate it horizontally.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I went and installed GIMP and scaled it with Interpolation set to "NoHalo" which resulted in a slightly crisper image. (still too blurry for my liking though...)
1594427644481.png
Comparison: (unedited 150% scale vs 150% cubic vs 150% NoHalo + sharpen)
1594427888554.png

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, there was a program somewhere that did exact pixel upscale a bit better than GIMP. It's not ideal, there's no way to upscale to %150 with no editing needed, but it wasn't awful. You'd need to do what bgillisp suggested and scale to %300 then down by %50 to get it to work. I just can't remember what the program was called. I know it's linked in the utilities section, and it's specifically for scaling pixel art.

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was the program called Image Resizer?
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...izer-specially-for-upscaling-pixel-art.45856/

Also found recent thread, new ImageFilter tool (scale Pixel Art with XBR/XBRz or HQ)
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...l-scale-pixel-art-with-xbr-xbrz-or-hq.104843/
Just wanted to recommend the tool by RyanBram, it's the first link. I have been using the older version which basically just scales anything by 150% with quite good results, like this Vx Ace sheet scaled for MV.
Orc_male__move_PixelScaled.png

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You guys just saved me hundreds of hours of work!:kaoluv:

Edit: @mishakoc Which filter/method did you use to get that result?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

And back. Trying to work online with no internet for 1.5 days was...interesting. I felt like a character in a old Sierra game trying to find internet due to all the hoops I had to jump through just to get online for work.
grief... if MV didn't have certain plugins already, I think I'd upgrade to MZ. seeing like 10 MV plugins in 1 MZ one is hilariously convenient lol.
Have you already checkes out my mapping tutorial on the blog? I would love to hear your feedback and things you'd like to see in the future!

one of character for my upcoming game idk how to design o_O

Designing patches that can 'augmented' to clothing based armor. Such good fun. A bit time consuming due to the need to create image displays, but the patches are limited so it's not too tiring.
Note: lol, posting this made me find a couple mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilKeepItReal