Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi community,

So I've got an ambitious project around in my head since I watched the film Two Popes. The current Pope was a member of the Company of Jesus, or jesuits. That order had a huge impact during south america's colonization period, particularly in Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina and a bit of Brazil. They set up "reductions", where they would teach the natives about the catholic god, but also would teach them to work the land, to heard cattle and also some art, like pottery. They had buit impressive communities, sheltering more than 40000 natives in some locations. You could say they protected them from being enslaved by groups of Portuguese slave traffickers.
This is something we learn here in school as kids, alongside with some interesting legends. I figured it might be a fantastic background for an RPG. I also intend to make it slightly educational, in the sense that I want it historically authentic.
However, I suppose most of the graphic resources will have to be crafted form scratch. I had a look around and not much from the that period could be found, let alone something specific like native tribes from South America.
So I'm filing this in the hopes you can point me where to find such resources, or if you have something similar I can build on.

This is something I will be actually working on next year, so no rush.

Resource Type: Generator parts for natives: feather work on tiaras, earings, necklaces and armbands; face paintings in red and black.
Also adventurers known as "bandeirantes" as in the pictures: hats and clothing.

Maker Format: MV

Art Style: I'd like it to be RTP-like for two reasons: first it is targeted to children and the style is friendly; second I plan to use the character generator for the characters.

Description: as stated in resource type

Reference Images:
Jesuit priest
320px-Jesuitpainting.jpg

Portuguese adventurers (slave hunters :p)

220px-Domingos_Jorge_Velho.jpg
bandeirantes-de-ivan-wasth.jpg

Guarani people
873c2d28174e3e8263ccfbb209dd62f6.jpg

151b288c2c8b16d1adc98d338e8da81c.jpg

Tupi-guarani.jpg

Last edited:

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! Are you still working on/planning to work on the game you described? Because setting a game in this historical context sounds really cool! The movie 'The Mission' deals with this very time period, and it's a big favorite of mine. I'm not experienced making graphic resources, but have been experimenting with making sprite edits and behaviors recently, so I might be able to help with something small.

Last edited:

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there, @mephet !

I'm glad to hear from you!
Yea, this project is currently sitting on a virtual drawer. XD
I'm a huge fan of such games, on my playing record I've got a lot of Age of Empires, Victoria, and Assassin's Creed. I really like how the latter explores fiction alongside historical events.

"The mission" is a great movie, indeed. The landscapes make me feel like getting my tent and running into the wild! : ]
Apart from watching the film, I've also done some reading on priests' letters of the time - hard stuff, because most of them are in Spanish - to understand the economy and how practical stuff really worked. I really want to create an immersive experience on this one.

I have already made some editting myself, like this one:

1611406904335.png

That took me ages because I'm not experienced either... and still the result isn't the best.
I also made some editting to tilesets, mostly coloring walls to better represent the materials used back then, and a few motiffs on vessels:
1611408784845.png
Generator wise, I've got around making some basic face paintings, like this one:
1611407220186.png
My biggest challenge is on clothing (as you can see the swimsuit doesn't look decent for the native LOL).

I also went for some muskets and a pistol (though I'm not yet sure if I'll implement front-view or SV battle):
1611408997249.png

Any help is apreciated, really.

I'm really happy with your message, tbh. It gave me quite a spark of motivation about it, thanks!

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds & looks great, wonderful to hear you've been working on this! And awesome that you're able to read some original sources as well! Your project has me really excited :D

As said, I'm a real newbie when it comes to making RPG Maker resources, but I'm hoping to practice, and would love to help out with this project in some way. I haven't learned how to make Generator resources yet, but I could try to look into that. So far I've just been using GIMP to directly edit sprites and face images. As an example, I made this quickly based partly on the first picture of the Guarani you posted:

mephet_Guarani_1.png

But I wasn't really sure what to do with the bottom half of the outfit. Do you happen to have reference images for men and women that would show more of the full body?

(Oh, and are you planning on using normal sized character sprites? Maybe that's good for me to double-check before making more :'D)

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow! That looks pretty cool!!

Is that a straw skirt I see?
I found some pictures and I hope they help.
On this one we see cotton skirts. They had them from brown to white. They weren't exactly skirts, because their bottoms would be showing. But I suppose a skirt works well. That's what the Guarani people wear these days.
1611446159506.png

And straw skirts were and are a thing, too, so you weren't off with that!
1611446381260.png

Since the arrival of the priests, they were ordered to "dress up". Most Guarani living in reductions would wear sth similar to these overalls in the winter. They were long sleeveless shirts.
1611446296072.png

I'm going to use normal-sized sprites, the chubby ones. So what you did is exacty what I'm looking for.

About the generator parts, I have some idea of how they work now I've made some. If you produce a full character set, it'd be easy for me to adapt them to generator parts, regarded you allow me, of course! : ]

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

mephet, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @slimmmeiske2 !

I went to review the forum rules and it states:

"necroposting (posting in a thread that has been dead for over 30 days - this is primarily for Support Forum questions and does not apply to ongoing discussions such as project development threads, resource threads, plugin threads, design discussion, the off-topic board, etc. )"

Is mephet still in the wrong?
Asking primarily because I was pretty happy for having someone interested in my project.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hi @Cezar_cr.
Yes, they are. The "Resource Threads" refer to threads where people share their resources, for example in General Resources or MZ Resources. After all, it would be pretty annoying as a creator to bump your thread every 30 days, so it doesn't break the necro rules.

Resource Requests are not exempt for the same reasons the support forums are. It's something the OP needs, so if they don't get a response they should bump it. If they don't bump it and let it slip into necro territory we assume they no longer need it (and forgot to report to close the thread) or just left the forums (which happens a lot too).

Hope that eplains it a bit. It's just a warning though. Glad you have found someone to help you :)

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@slimmmeiske2 thank you for the reminder, I will be more careful in the future! In this case I checked that @Cezar_cr seemed to be still active on the forum, which is why I chose to post in this thread, but in light of the rules maybe I should have approached them via PM in this case. :) Now that this thread is active again however, I hope it's ok to continue discussion here? Maybe someone else will be interested in creating something as well.

@Cezar_cr -- thank you for the references, these are great! I'll see next time I have time to sit down what I could make.

Last edited:

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@slimmmeiske2 Thank you for your clarification!

@mephet Nice. Take your time. What matters the most is having fun while at it!

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Unfortunately I don't work in the MV style, and at this moment, I wish I did! Your project sounds amazing. That's a part of history that I know almost nothing about--if you have a project update thread somewhere, I would love to follow it!

And I would also like to compliment you on your absolutely fantastic request thread. It's a lot of things, but you provided pictures, terminology for further research, specific requests....absolutely wonderful. I wish everyone provided that kind of detail!

Really fascinating to see that style of two-blocked sandals on the Jesuit priest, I've only ever seen them as Japanese geta sandals with a different kind of strap to keep them on the foot. I guess you need to keep your feet out of the mud no matter where in the world you live!

I'm sure you've looked around the forums already, but in case you missed her--Avery has an incredible wealth of resources, everything from tileset pieces to generator pieces. I hope this link works, the forum isn't displaying the Embed Link option for me-- https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/avys-mv-stuff.53317/ She also has a shop in the Classifieds forum, if there's something in particular that you wanted to commission. She also-also has an icon workshop, with thousands of icons--I'm not sure what you need by way of items, but she's very likely to have you covered. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/avys-icon-workshop-update-jan-2021.21623/

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would also like to compliment you on your absolutely fantastic request thread.

Thanks. I think it's the least one could do is being as descriptive as possible. : ]

I guess you need to keep your feet out of the mud no matter where in the world you live!
LOL, true that!

Thanks for the pointers to Avery's stuff. She is indeed very talented and I am always on the lookout for her stuff.

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hit some rough weeks so I haven't had time to finalize complete character sheets yet, but thought I'd bump the thread with some of the sprites I've been working on in bits of spare time ^_^

mephet_Guarani_2.png

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Absolutely fabulous!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

treele.jpg
I've updated the background!
My first test playthrough of my game clocked in at 1 hour and 15 minutes. Once the opening and ending are properly implemented, I'd expect a blind playthrough to last around 2 hours.
This time introducing INDIVIDUAL terrain lights feature for upcoming MAJOR UPDATE for all of my MZ plugins.
Some drawing of one of 'Forgotten Eclipse' bosses: The Shifter
Today we be doing an unscheduled stream! Lets get some work done on the titlescreen for Lightestone! <3
www.twitch.tv/riazey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradgren