1926 - Metropolis [Demo v. 0.8]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by RocketKnight, Nov 5, 2014.

1. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Abstract: Immersive experience
    • Genre: Sci-fi
    • Development started: August 2014
    • Development stage: Some cutscenes and exploration maps.
    • Engine: [​IMG]
    • Story: In a futuristic city sharply divided between the working class and the city planners, the son of the city's mastermind falls in love with a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a savior to mediate their differences.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • 07 November 2014 - Karma system added and new screens.
    • 08 November 2014 - New Screens.
    • 16 November 2014 - "the great worker riot", new character profile added, new screen.
    • 29 November 2014 – Interface concept.
    • 08 March 2015 – New previews
    • 24 June 2015 – New previews.
    • 01 January 2016 - New previews and prototype version avaliable.
    [​IMG]

Metropolis is a huge industrial town divided into an upper and a lower town. In the lower one, where the sunlight hardly reaches the lowlands, there live and work the destitute people which have to operate enormous machines in order to provide the city with the necessary energy. In the upper town there live the rich bigwigs in immense luxury. The constellation of either sides reminds strong of the pharaoes and their slaves, which scraped a hopeless living in the shadow of their sovereigns. But the rabble mobilizes his strength and starts a rebellion against the oppressors. In order to give the story the necessary spice, Freder, the son of one of the most powerful big industrialists, stand by the side of the rebel workmen.

[​IMG]
    The most foundation shaking event in the history of Metropolis was Originally planned out in the mind of Joh Fredersen. With the development of Futura by C.A. Rotwang, Joh envisioned Machines operating the machines of the city, he wouldn't need the imperfect human workers to operate the machines or to plot against him.

The plan was deviously simple. encourage the already agitated workers into rioting. When they leave their posts and or damage the machines, the water pressure in the waterworks surrounding the Worker City would become to great, causing the river to escape its man-made course and flow once again unhindered by human technology. Joh would then hand over the keys to the city over to his son, for him to (re)build and manage as his own.

The plan made itself manifest when Freder Fredersen became involved with Maria. Joh saw Futura (in the guise of Maria) being the spark to ignite the fury of the workers. two things happened that were not part of his plan, the workers found their way to the surface, led by Futura, and his son Freder would go into the destruction below to find the real Maria.

In the ensuing violence and chaos 1/6th of the upper city was destroyed, power grids were knocked out all over the city, SkyRails were knocked off track or derailed completely many with passengers still in them. Once the rioting spilled out into the upper city gangs, criminals and other dissatisfied inhabitants joined in the destruction. Doomsday cults lined the streets in celebration, partaking of the drug Maohee while Desertus and the Goths took to the streets wailing "See Babylon, the Great-! The Mother of Abominations-! Doomsday is breaking-! the destruction of the world-!"

Below ground, the Worker City was completely flooded, and the central Dynamo that supply the power to the city were destroyed (surrendered to the workers by Grot at the bidding of Joh Fredersen). Because of the ruptured waterworks, water pressure in the city was reduced to a trickle causing many problems for the firefighters trying to stop the infernos. The impact on human life during this 12 hour episode is staggering, 1000s dead, and tens of thousands hurt. Afterwards, hospitals are filled to capacity leaving thousands without any help at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She leads the workers in believing that a mediator will come to Metropolis and bridge the gap between them, the hands, and Joh Fredersen, the brain. She is gentle and demure. Her outward appearance pales in comparison to her inner beauty.

The needs and safety of the workers mean nothing to the power obssesed Joh Fredersen. The most powerful man in Metropolis. He controls the life pulse of Metropolis with an iron will and stone heart, the lives lost in industrial accidents below the surface of the great city are just a necessary part of life. The workers below ground are right where they should be in his scheme of the world; they are but cogs in a great machine.

He is the head of the workers, and he answers to Fredersen directly. Although he goes to the top of the Fredersen building to report to Joh Fredersen, he is not allowed to see the sunlight in Frederen's office. His place is ultimately with the workers, in the depths of the underground workers city.

Formerly Fredersen's friend, Rotwang became a reclusive scientist when he lost a bitter rivalry over Hel, Freder's mother. Since then, he has lived in a spooky little house in the middle of the city, untouched by time, developing all sorts of gadgets the likes of which Man was Never Meant to Know.

The game follows a semilinear history; there will be several side events, side
    missions which you can choose to accomplish many things and places to be discovered.

Remember, a decision may be taken not undone and altered the course of things.

[​IMG]

New version​

Old version (perhaps)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fixed issues:
    • Screen title works properly
    • "zoom_event" without error
    • Teleport location fixed
    • Shift-change cutscene fixed
    • Menu System

• Goal System

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [img=http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/worldbites1/1926%20Metropolis/MFanbanner_01.png]

[​IMG]
    Code:

[url=http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/33597-1926-metropolis/][img=http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/worldbites1/1926%20Metropolis/MFanbanner_02.png][/url]

[​IMG]

Code:

[url=http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/33597-1926-metropolis/][img=http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/worldbites1/1926%20Metropolis/MFanbanner_03.png][/url]

[​IMG]

Thea Von Harbou by writing this wonderful book.

• Enterbrain
    • Celianna
    • CanariAlternate
    • Lunarea
    • Dax Aquatic X
    • Hime
    • TheoAllen
    • Raizen
    • Neon Black
    • Galenmereth
    • Nicke
    • Victor Sant
    • Khas
    • Galv
    • Fomar0153
    • Marquise
    • Modern algebra
    • Yanfly
    • Zeus81
    • game_guy
    • pk8
    • LiTTleDRAgo

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The game follows a semilinear history; there will be several side events, side
    missions which you can choose to accomplish many things and places to be discovered.
    Remember, a decision may be taken not undone and altered the course of things.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
    Phonantiphon, Kyriaki, Raider and 2 others like this.
  3. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This looks pretty cool! Get a bit of a Bioshock feel from it. Good luck!

RocketKnight likes this.
  4. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    This game caught my attention immediately! Looks way cool! I would love to see it finished. What are your plans for the game?

BTW: If you still are in need of a composer, send me an e-mail to markus@markuslappalainen.info. I would be honored to make music for this production!

RocketKnight likes this.
  5. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    I love the bioshock-feel. Clearly inspired by it and the Metropolis movie, but that's okay. There's things i really like about this project and things that could need some improvement, but this one to follow up!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
    RocketKnight likes this.
  6. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
    Quigon likes this.
  7. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What's the core gameplay? Is it a puzzle/adventure game? A narrative/exploration game? Or a visual novel? The presentation so far is great, but I've having trouble understanding where the game part of the game comes in.

RocketKnight likes this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As a huge fan of the original movie, I'm interested in where you're going with this, but like Kaelan, I'm very unclear what genre this is going to be.  

Marquise* and RocketKnight like this.
  9. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Freder is and you can explore the places of Metropolis and city workers, while the narrative unfolds. Narrative/exploration game, perhaps the player controls other characters besides Freder.

10. blamethepoet

blamethepoet Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    I love graphics and ideas behind keep it up!

RocketKnight likes this.
  11. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
    The most foundation shaking event in the history of Metropolis was Originally planned out in the mind of Joh Fredersen. With the development of Futura by C.A. Rotwang, Joh envisioned Machines operating the machines of the city, he wouldn't need the imperfect human workers to operate the machines or to plot against him.

The plan was deviously simple. encourage the already agitated workers into rioting. When they leave their posts and or damage the machines, the water pressure in the waterworks surrounding the Worker City would become to great, causing the river to escape its man-made course and flow once again unhindered by human technology.  Joh would then hand over the keys to the city over to his son, for him to (re)build and manage as his own.

The plan made itself manifest when Freder Fredersen became involved with Maria. Joh saw Futura (in the guise of Maria) being the spark to ignite the fury of the workers. two things happened that were not part of his plan, the workers found their way to the surface, led by Futura, and his son Freder would go into the destruction below to find the real Maria.

In the ensuing violence and chaos 1/6th of the upper city was destroyed, power grids were knocked out all over the city, SkyRails were knocked off track or derailed completely many with passengers still in them. Once the rioting spilled out into the upper city gangs, criminals and other dissatisfied inhabitants joined in the destruction. Doomsday cults lined the streets in celebration, partaking of the drug Maohee while Desertus and the Goths took to the streets wailing "See Babylon, the Great-! The Mother of Abominations-! Doomsday is breaking-! the destruction of the world-!"    

Below ground, the Worker City was completely flooded, and the central Dynamo that supply the power to the city were destroyed (surrendered to the workers by Grot at the bidding of Joh Fredersen). Because of the ruptured waterworks, water pressure in the city was reduced to a trickle causing many problems for the firefighters trying to stop the infernos. The impact on human life during this 12 hour episode is staggering, 1000s dead, and tens of thousands hurt. Afterwards, hospitals are filled to capacity leaving thousands without any help at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
    Code:
    [url=http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/33597-1926-metropolis/][img][URL="http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/worldbites1/1926%20Metropolis/MFanbanner_01.png%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D"]http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k640/worldbites1/1926%20Metropolis/MFanbanner_01.png[/img][/url][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  12. Shuji

Shuji Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This project looks amazing!

13. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

These days I've been working out some of the design interface,
    one of the results is below:

[​IMG]

Intended to increase the immersion and maintain as much space as possible; there will be HP / Karma bar
    on the screen and the "new goal" has already been rescheduled.

[Edit] + Concept art
    [​IMG]
    Futura bust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  14. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

The project isn't over, yet.
    New screen:
    [​IMG]

Marquise* and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  15. SpiralSigil

SpiralSigil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *Checks to see if anyone has also had a very "Bioshock" feel from this game.  Notes its the very first commenter.  Nods sagely*

Seriously though, everything looks beautiful so far, keep it up! :)

RocketKnight likes this.
  16. prince of mars

prince of mars Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    a game based on metropolis what a brilliant idea oddly enough, I just finished watching the anime adaptation of metropolis yesterday I saw the original a couple of years back it never occurred to me someone might turn it into a jrpg I really hope you finish it.
    Oh, and lovely sprite art btw

17. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Prince of mars

The battle will not by turns, perhaps real time battle. Thanks for the support.

PS: JRPG is a good genre.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  18. Crow

Crow Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Post Title: Me Being Nice

This looks unique as hell, I'm interested in the art style and how well it will integrate with the software; Couple questions to ask you'll see them below.

Q). Where are you going to market this if anywhere? 

Q). Is there a set price for this game yet? 

Q). Expected release date? 

RocketKnight likes this.
  19. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh men your abilities are so cool! how much time i would need to reach that level?!!!

The game is so cool, and is based more on the original version as can i see, the retro is nice!

RocketKnight likes this.
  20. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's free. I'm having some issues regarding adaptation to leave more interactive and I know it is not in the context put a real-time battle system or any combat system. I make the project alone, a person proposed to help me with the soundtrack but does not respond more emails.

I honestly don't know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015