2 or more game genres in 1 game

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by ZGE, Sep 14, 2018.

1. ZGE

ZGE Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    can anyone tell my if there's a way to mix up 2 or more different game genres in one game?

Example: role playing in normal game play from the start, then as the game goes on, side scrolling shooter the next time around, for this game's story, and then back again, and repeat, or optional!

2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Of course. A decent understanding of eventing can take care of that.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ZGE "How do I...?" (implementation) questions go in the Support forum for the engine you are using. So...

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. MaGicBush

MaGicBush Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The game I'm designing will have rts elements thrown in with the rpg aspect so yes its possible. You will most likely have to script though.

5. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What you really search for is a plugin to turn the engine to a side scrolling platform or top down shoot em up engine if you turn it on, with the capability to turn it off at will.
    There are probably a few out there, I doubt that these will be for free, since deep knowledge and many debugging hours must be needed to deliver a good result.

Three genres can be used with the engine untouched though.
    RPG (of course)
    Visual Novel
    Puzzle (You have to set the background as the grid of the puzzle and use a custom tileset. You shall set Map Events everywhere and the usage of Common Events in the database will be needed too. It will demand complex eventing but it is 100% possible.

PS: I think that side scrolling shooter can not be made with just eventing. You might need at least one plugin to support it, since it will be an action system.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No idea about top down shoot 'em up, but for something that gives the appearance of side scroller, have a look at this video.

I know how that was done - side scroller graphics, careful placement of passabilities and jump points with conditionals in them depending on which way the player was facing. What is shown there might not be all you want, but it's done without any switches or scripts/plugins, you just do what you want in the different maps.