TheLuiz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello there, i made this account just to ask this

So, my game goes like this: Prologue, 1st Chapter, 2nd Chapter, 3rd Chapter, Ending

The prologue is nice and simple(The first demo i'll release will be the full prologue), but at the end of it, the player will be give two obrigatory choices that will shape the rest of the game:

Side with the Resistance
Side with the Villains

If the player chose option A, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd chapter will be about him/her traveling the world with the resitance and striking the villains

If the player chose option B, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd chapter will be about him/her traveling the world helping the cult of villains to expand their crime empire and domination

The thing is, i don't really know how to do this.
I already made the whole map(Cities, Fields, etc), I know the story i want, but i don't know how to implement

After all, the story will happen in the same map, but the choice you make changes the events that will happen in that map

So tl;dr, i want to do this:

upload_2018-8-9_17-10-35.png

Ignore the multiple ending, focus on the first problem, how can i make the map have one of the two timelines depending of the player's first choice

and yes, i am using pokémon essentials

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I would make duplicate maps and have one show all the events/dialog for one choice, and the other have the events/dialog for the other choice.

TheLuiz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Honestly, I would make duplicate maps and have one show all the events/dialog for one choice, and the other have the events/dialog for the other choice.
so i must make two world maps?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Uh, I wouldn't duplicate maps. If the different events happen on fairly different locations (not 10 scenes in one map) and no events actually alter any map, you could just make some events disappear with conditions. Like "if switch 001 is off, erase event" and switch 001 would be a particular route in your game scenario.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on how much difference there is between the story branches.

If they are extremely different, you copy the basic maps and fill them with different events, and redirect the player to one or the other map series depending on the choice.

If they are rather similiar and only differ in some events, then you use the same maps but condition the events to different switches and have the choice event turn those switches on or off depending on player choice.

TheLuiz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It depends on how much difference there is between the story branches.

If they are extremely different, you copy the basic maps and fill them with different events, and redirect the player to one or the other map series depending on the choice.

If they are rather similiar and only differ in some events, then you use the same maps but condition the events to different switches and have the choice event turn those switches on or off depending on player choice.

They are different and happen on the same maps, but on different order

As an example, Choice A make player go to City A then B, but at the end of the chappter the player will go to a showdown on city D
Choice B makes Player go to city C then City B and later City A, but at the end of the chappter the player will go to a showdown on city D
The showdown just change how the player will see the events depending on their side

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

At this point, "unique and diverse cast of characters" might as well be slang for Every Character is a Human-Sue.
I found an absolutely brilliant lifehack on the internet today.

Screenshot_760.jpg
It does sometimes get a little embarrassing that I often come here to ask for help with something and seldom have anything to actually show for it. If there is one thing though I can commend myself for, it's for sticking with an idea I've been tinkering with for this long now and gradually making headways. Even though I've been reserved about my progress, I can say I'm farther now than where I initially started.
I'm gonna put my project on pause for a tiny bit so I can explore the engine outside of it... Winging it can only get you so far LMFAO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mal3ficc