2014 IGMC Results!

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Deckiller, Oct 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hasvers

Hasvers Warper Member

So glad to see Last Word getting the recognition it deserves (from everyone and Ed Greenwood, no less), as well as Little Briar Rose's success!

Now I'm going to try the other winning games, how did I not hear of Antagonist and Oh! Ko! before?

Congrats to everyone and all my thanks to all the judges for their inconceivable effort. I've had to judge a dozen or so games once, I cannot imagine doing that fifty times over - you guys are awesome!

And unlimited star-power thanks to Andy Oxfeld (or was it Eric Tam? this changed on the site; anyway, to both of them!) because to say we didn't see that coming is one hell of an understatement. You rock, and not only metamorphically.

This contest really allowed an incredible lot of great games to emerge, more than perhaps any game making event I've taken part in or watched unfold before, so kudos to everyone who made this happen!

Archeia, Geoff Moore and Merlandese like this.
  2. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Congratulations to the winners!

I am so happy about the grand prize winner and other winning games that I loved to play.

Wooo!!

3. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was reloading the facebook page as the time approached with baited breath and a racing heart, until the link finally appeared - and I won't lie, it absolutely crushed me when I saw my game came up empty-handed.  After 200+ hours of tireless work investing everything in me to try to make the ultimate hour-long play experience, and three months of nervous wait, it felt just awful to lose out.  It took a few days to get over that.  It wasn't even the money that I wanted to win, it was the recognition and credibility as a game designer that could do a lot for me, and also the ability to redeem all that time and energy that I spent as something that could bring a lot of people some happiness.

In that same breath, though, I'm genuinely happy for some of the winners, particularly Last Word (which I played and enjoyed) and Oh Ko! (which I haven't gotten to play yet, but looks fantastic from the video).  To all the winners - you've done something pretty great, and now you've got a huge opportunity in front of you to make something big and special out of this success.  Don't let it go to waste!  Parlay that success in the IGMC into something more, and be sure to enjoy every moment of the ride. :)

zDS, Galenmereth, Kryzon and 3 others like this.
  4. FantasyDR

FantasyDR Villager Member

Con to all the winners! Especially 【The Vendor】, @Galenmereth you finally made it :)

Galenmereth likes this.
  5. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Congrats to the winners.

Somewhat surprised that Sunken Spire didn't make it. Then again it seems that the games that got the prizes are more unusual.

I'm especially interested that what Cope Island actually did to snatch one of the prizes as it is not that apparent from the description and/or screenshots.

Edit: As I recall, Sunken Spire's contest entry version had at least one game breaking bug in it, that would explain a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  6. Athryl

Athryl The Reticent Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Congrats to all the winners - to all participants really, you put a lot of work into this and there were many great entries...I can't wait to play more of them!  

7. catchthefloaty

catchthefloaty Villager Member

Anybody been able to get there results? It's Sunday.

8. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm guessing they are replying with comments about your game starting Sunday, so don't be surprised if you haven't got an e-mail yet.

9. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

First Language:
    English
    So if we have mailed for comments about our game, when approximately will we receive this feedback? I e-mailed RPG Maker Web twice about this but have got no reply. I don't expect to receive feedback right now if it's not ready, but just a reply about what is the ETA for the comments, if any.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  10. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd also like word on this. I sent out my request on Sunday night, and I'm a bit worried that I may have missed some sort of arbitrary deadline seeing as it was a fairly late e-mail.

That said, I wouldn't freak out too much yet, seeing as nobody got their $10.00 coupons yet (somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that), so it's not as if anybody can say that the entire contest has been finished yet.

11. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nobody has the $10 or feedback yet (I sent my request like, first day) so don't worry. I don't know if the actual winners actually have their prizes yet either, and not all of the criteria for the prize winners have been sorted out yet anyway, e.g: humble bundle store.

12. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That was jar ghost.  Thankfully it wasn't game breaking because you could solve that floor without talking to him.  There was also another on the optional boss area, but that wasn't in the main plot.

I was surprised too, but thankfully the team that made it is re-releasing it with some new interesting features like the playable bad guy side and monster collecting.

EDIT: Ah, I played it after the update to the bestiary script.  Forgot about that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  13. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    As to Sunken Spire, there was an issue with one of the scripts within the first five minutes that would crash the game in the first battle (which was unavoidable), hence why it didn't make it through. It was avoidable if you knew about it but as it was played blind...

Cope Island is all about the experience. You can't tell how good the game is just by looking at it, you actually have to play it and see for yourself. It was a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    zDS likes this.
  14. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

First Language:
    English
    I'm surprised that Unraveled didn't get anything. Could anyone explain? Was it just not good enough? I thought it was gonna win.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  15. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Different tastes and the difficulty of the battle system worked against it. Also, there was a little lag in some places. Graphically, it was quite lovely but there were other points that pulled it out of the top 5. It's still a great game, though, and I recommend everyone give it a go.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  16. NickMakesGames

NickMakesGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Unraveled was definitely a flawed game. It's biggest flaw is probably in the combat system, like Ksi said. The systems are a bit bizarre, plus failure doesn't result in any kind of real penalty, so there's no reason to be invested in the combat.

One of the biggest problems with the combat, I feel, is the two-way polarity system. Because there are only two states you can shift toward, and each is more powerful against the other, there is no way to put yourself at an advantage to the enemy without putting yourself at an equally strong disadvantage. It kind of punishes careful play by causing you to take more damage from enemy attacks just because you used the attacks that made the most offensive sense. This is why rock-paper-scissors style balance is so popular in many games. It lets you earn an advantage over your opponent in a way that doesn't also give them an equally useful advantage that you wanted to avoid.

Something else I didn't love about combat was that I felt the character roles should have been flipped. Cinnamon played as a cleric and Marbles was the fighter, even though they played seemingly opposite roles in the story. It was cinnamon who was actually confronting and fighting with the hardships in her life, and Marbles was her comfort object that helped her stay calm and healthy.

Outside of combat, running around the map looking for marbles could also be a pain, especially if you happened to miss a marble early on and backtrack through a pretty huge linear environment with no shortcuts. The marble hunt was especially painful in the grassy environment, which was far too large with far too few significant landmarks to navigate by. On top of that, many of the archways that you could walk through could be tough to notice from above, and were only clear when being approached from the South.

It still is a good game, especially if you're into more narrative-focused experiences, but it certainly doesn't work phenomenally well as an RPG, in my opinion.

Archeia, Dreadshadow and Stoic like this.
  17. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Cinnamon played as a cleric and Marbles was the fighter, even though they played seemingly opposite roles in the story."

Correct. But it was about Cinnamon's fantasy. Whatever the case it should be implemented differently.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  18. Merlandese

Merlandese Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Really glad to see some of these games make it to the top, and am honored all the same. RoI is truly a great entry. I wouldn't have tried it otherwise (being the Judge-y Jason I can be when it comes to instant appearances). Thanks a lot, Judges!

OFF-TOPIC:

Cinnamon saw Marbles as her protector. There are typically two types of protection: pre-emptive and after-the-fact. Fighters protect like a castle does, by keeping harm away. Healers protect by fixing the problems that have already happened. Marbles makes a good fighter because in her mind, he was her bastion of defense. When trouble came, she knew he'd show up to protect her (the first kind) and she would support him from behind (the second kind).

I think the roles are fine considering that most small children cower behind their stuffed animals when confronted with fear rather than stand in between the danger and the toy.

19. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Congrats to the winners! Definitely a fun and challenging contest!

20. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I was wondering, why such a delay?

It's not about coupons and stuff.

It's about what I ask on my email really. :p