Galenmereth

Semi-retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm absolutely certain people would've then gone "what are you doing here on the forums!? Get back to your dungeon and play more games, naow!"

Big kudos to the judges.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
I had no idea what to expect, numbers-wise. I guess about half of what we did get. If that. Personally I wasn't expecting much more than a few hundred. 800 was... a bit more than that guesstimate. XD

I figure the big cash prize had something to do with it. And probably the good job the Dejica crew did in pimping out Ace and getting more people into dev. It's great to see such an influx of raw talent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I honestly expected 200-400 games at most and I thought I was being optimistic. 800 was like, what?!

Reactions: Ksi

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes^

When we were told the amount I think my mind just boggled for a while. I mean, the contests we'd judged in the past were like, maybe 20 games if we were lucky? 40x that was just crazy to think about! XD

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I remember we judged over 40 games in one month and we thought that was crazy. I still can't believed we judged over ....150....and screened 400 games.

It's like, did that really happened?

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah. XD

Sometimes I still visit my "IGMC" folder just to revel in its emptiness. ^.^

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Guys, what are you still doing on the forums, IGMC 2015 ended two weeks ago, you still have 1000 games to judge for that 25k prize!!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It sounds like the IGMC workload was pretty huge, so if there is a 2015 one, they'll need more judges so it's not totally insane like it was this year.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Next contest will be more organized anyway.

This was their first and it went really good.

Not to mention that they dealed with double of the most optimistic expected participations...

Yeah... 800 was not a small number....

NickMakesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another reason I, personally (and I believe others as well) didn't report here is because we were ignoring this area of the forums to avoid any kind of bias. I stayed as far away from this side of the competition as I could because I didn't want to be accused of bias in any way, shape or form. I've seen it done before and it's never pretty on either side of the fence.
An excellent point. One glance at the Gamergate controversy is all you need to prove that even the slightest perception of bias is not a healthy thing for anybody.

It sounds like the IGMC workload was pretty huge, so if there is a 2015 one, they'll need more judges so it's not totally insane like it was this year.
More judges wouldn't speed things up, seeing as every judge needs to play every game. What would be important is to figure out a more efficient screening process that more quickly cuts down the amount of entries that need to be judged. A stricter set of rules for submissions would help a little (no games that boot up in fullscreen, every submission must have at least 3 screenshots, etc...) as it helps immediately weed out the people who didn't take the contest seriously enough to read the full rules. Making use of a heavily modified community judging phase might also be a great way to narrow down the big list to a smaller chunk of around the top 200-300 games or so.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh man there were a lot of joke games during screening process now that you mention it :x
Indeed, that's true.

Imagine that whatever I could  download... I did downloaded it and tried it....

There were a lot of joke games, and there were games that were a joke.

Gladly though... there were about 300 serious participants.

Some of those games were hideous, some were so so, and some of them were gems.

I really loved to play them anyway.

What makes me happy with this competition, is that...

HEY! Everyone!!! There are AT LEAST 50 good new free games to play! For everyone!

This contest is a huge success in my opinion.

Not to mention that I made a new online friend during development.

It is nice sharing your effort and your endless nights with someone.

I honestly expected 200-400 games at most and I thought I was being optimistic. 800 was like, what?!

Prize was really high and it had drawn the attention of a lot of people I guess.

Not to mention Ed Greenwood!

NickMakesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not to mention Ed Greenwood!
oh, yeah! I was actually on the fence about joining this contest until I watched the promo with Ed Greenwood. His little thirty second spot was so brilliantly written that I couldn't help but feel excited about joining the competition.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It sounds like by any measure the IGMC contest was a huge success.  But I agree there needs to be a way to rapidly weed out the joke and other deliberate crap entries.   I didn't think so many people would make "joke" entries.  Hopefully only one judge was sufficient to decide if a game was a joke entry or not, so it didn't waste the other judges' time.

Still, if the community created 50 quality games and, say, 250 so-so games, and all of the participants (and the organizers of the contest for that matter) learned a great deal about game making, it was time well spent and a rewarding experience, for me at least. :)

NickMakesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I suspect the reason for the quantity of joke entries was the participation prize. Seeing as there are probably a handful of pretty good ten dollar games on RPG maker's store, I imagine a lot of people just decided that they could get a free game out of the contest if they spent twenty minutes slapping together a really messy entry.
Perhaps subsequent contests would limit participation prizes to entrants who weren't disqualified, in order to discourage people from making submissions with minimal effort or care.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I suspect the reason for the quantity of joke entries was the participation prize. Seeing as there are probably a handful of pretty good ten dollar games on RPG maker's store, I imagine a lot of people just decided that they could get a free game out of the contest if they spent twenty minutes slapping together a really messy entry.

Perhaps subsequent contests would limit participation prizes to entrants who weren't disqualified, in order to discourage people from making submissions with minimal effort or care.

This... is actually possible...

catchthefloaty

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I got my feedback.

So yes, it's coming for those waiting.

No, I won't tell you what the feedback was.

Hundreds of responses, along with the process of prizes will take time. Be patient.
Was it the email process as stated by OP? Or the feedback a judge posted on your forum thread?

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's an email process.

Oh...so that's what it was.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So unbelievably excited for IGMC this year! First public game was for the original one and I'm just so pumped!!
Sometimes I am amazed at how relentless spam bots are. I would clear the que and then see 800~5k more depending on their mood.
Work on UD is already so delayed but I gotta drop everything so that I have something ready for IGMC!
Messed up the chains... :kaoback:
Sw7U8dA.jpg

Character: Jeanne D'Arc from Fate/Apocrypha.
Neptrone wrote on Andar's profile.
Hello Andar, i just saw you created a lot of helpful thread in the past regarding RPG, genre, game design, etc, etc.

Do you have full collection or list about every useful thread that you made in the past ? I think it would be very useful for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qixxi