2017 IGMC Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by bgillisp, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woobv

woobv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Oooh! A horror game! That sounds super rad. I think if you think it adds more depth to the overall "tone" of the scene, go for it. :)

2. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Still working on the battle system. I hate balancing hahaha. That's one of the hardest things about the battle systems. I hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow, then get started on the mapping ASAP.

3. motta

motta Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ty, i also liked your game ideas! And yes, the death scenes are an important part of my game, as they mean the failure in each puzzle, but i will try to moderate the gore, i will post updates!

Guardinthena likes this.
  4. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    Still trying to figure things out with the damage formulas, but I finally figured out why one of my characters would never hit with a physical attack. It was a really dumb mistake, but it felt good when I finally figured it out. Now to work on balancing, which will include figuring out the formulas. Once I get that stuff figured out, I'll work on finalizing the skills and other parts of the database. I kind of want to have all that done before I jump into mapping.

The upside for all of this is that I have the basic outline for my story already done, so when I get all this other stuff done, it's just a matter of eventing the story elements, and adding a few side quests. The balancing of the battles will take the longest, as that will be the biggest gameplay element.

5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You guys keep talking about databasing and balancing and I keep thinking "I have no idea what that actually means". I mean, obviously databasing is filling out the different options inside the database and balancing is making fights that are the right amount of hard or easy for when the characters meet them, but I don't know anything specific, or where to start. I'm intimidated.

Today I *gasp* actually started doing things in the editor! Once again, no actual gameplay yet. I'm messing around with plugins. Yep, I'm a newb, I like to have lots of plugins and still don't know how to event anything more complex than a door. It just looks so wrong to have the default menu when I'm going to only have one character for most of the game, there'd be loads of dead space. I haven't a clue how to make it look better without plugins, or worse, how to make my own. I'm really surprised by how well all the scripts are working together, especially considering how many scripts are altering some aspect of the main menu. Of course, now that I said that it's going to all fall apart and stop working. *pokes at menu* You know, I don't think I actually want to make a game, I seem to just want to make something interactive and pretty. I know working on the menu right now is really a bad use of the time I have, but I've been having a rough time with health and this was something I actually could do in my current state. Find pretty thing, put pretty thing in game. Easy.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get everything to the point where I'm not using placeholder graphics anywhere. If I'm really productive, maybe start mapping.

6. Saboera

Saboera Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I've been working on a card game RPG hybrid. So far, so good, but I still have a lot of work to do.

I got the framework for the design done, but I'm still brainstorming some mechanics.
    I have a WIP sketch of one of the character which helps me get a feeling for the artstyle and theme (sort of cyberpunkish).
    Managed to finish the cards storage and shuffler.
    A few icons are done and I'm currently fiddling with how I want the interface to look, from the look of cards to the disposition of stuff and how it interacts.

watermark and Marquise* like this.
  7. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    I'm getting close to balancing the early battles for the player. Starting at level 1 with the main character, and level 3ish with the secondary one will give the player enough strength to defeat the first few enemies with relative ease, but just challenging enough. I was never too great at balancing, but it's really encouraging to test the battles and see that they're actually a little challenging, but still fun. I still haven't assigned many skills yet, but I'm on the right track.

Marquise* likes this.
  8. woobv

woobv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Finished 2 more concepts!

We've got...

Fashionista Opera

[​IMG]

and.......

(If anyone remembers... 90's kids anyone?!)
    Netscape Child

[​IMG]

P.S. I promise to stop spamming this thread... once my thread gets approved in the Game Development forum... ahaha ^^;;

9. motta

motta Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol, i have seen so many of your posts and responses before, i could swear you were a Goddess at RM! haha, but keep it up with the hard work.

Also, updating the game: I'm finishing two more puzzles tonight.

Attached Files:

10. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Blaaaah!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Going to call it quits for the night 1 large parallax map done, 3 small maps, NPCs, and face sets. 1/2 way through main character #3, and did some databasing. Also watched the first season of bezerk (2016 ). Its almost 3am here, my wife is super mad at me. Lol.

woobv likes this.
  11. woobv

woobv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Holy smokes!! You did so much in just one day........

I'm also calling it quits tonight as well. @ ~ @;; Gotta wake up for an early morning, but I only got through 5 character concepts. > - < Not as productive/fast as you @OnslaughtSupply !

[​IMG]

12. readydotexe

readydotexe Low class wizard Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Daily progress: Checked all tiles I'm gonna use, and get to the 30% of the first draft since well too much story heavy and that leaves me with two problems
    1. I already knew it but dayum the time, it needs to only last one hour so I have to cut off time and make the game easier
    2. Teen Rating Ok, so its a murder case and well is not bloody but since it involves an android's body (not her mind) that is death alongside the victim, and that android's body is child like..... Maybe Ill make her more like a teenager?
    Ace Attorney managed to stay with a T rating and is pure murder cases but still any tips you may suggest?

Right? I ended buying myself only the 18$ myself tough, I'm really enjoying the scifi packs and the music

Marquise* likes this.
  13. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @motta i am digging the big boy in your screen shot. that screen capture reminds me of a scene in pan's labyrinth, very nice.

Guardinthena likes this.
  14. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Did some progress today again :
    - Started to work on the first city
    - New sprites, new tiles
    - Started to work on the arcade part of the game hopefully I'll show more about it tomorrow.
    Very impressed by the work I saw so far, I wonder how I'll catch up with all this hehehe.
    [​IMG]

readydotexe, Marquise* and Roden124 like this.
  15. Stanley

Stanley Nobody, Joystrike Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Almost three days without progress on my project. :(

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  16. MinisterJay

MinisterJay Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    All images in this game, except for two, were made during the game jam. For my first submission here is an example of the art style. This art style is 'Tru 2D', having no shadowing, shading, nor ANY representations of the 3rd dimension: depth. The SV battle scenes had to also include custom made animations to fit this style.

!WispersTitleScreen.png

I have a friend who is letting all of his high school game development classes, as well as some of our RPG Biz members, beta test the game. If all parts of the goals are met, it should be submitted to the IGMC game jam on Monday.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  17. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Day 7 (ALREADY?!?!?)

1.) Finished a market with four buildings interior and exterior.
    2.) Made unique npc personalities for each store
    3.) Finished first quest
    4.) Started the 2nd quest
    5.) Made a simple parallax map

I hope to work on quests today, and figure out how to do step counts without causing lag... (may have to get rid of the count concept)

pathway.png

18. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Team up with me next year, then. Cuz I wanna make a game but spend way too much time trying to make everything look nice.

Anyway, new feature:
    [​IMG]
    "I love to swim-a, a-with the moon-a and the june-a and the spring-a, I love to swim-a"

19. adanteallegro

adanteallegro Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All right, here's what I've gotten done so far:
    I finished up the scripting for the intro scene of my game, although I feel like I'll go back to it at a later time to revise it.
    I also worked on a few more character sprites, as well as made a new portrait!
    [​IMG]
    Sue is looking pretty confused here.

[​IMG]
    Very VERY rough Sue sprites. I...don't have a lot of experience doing pixel art, and it shows. I'll continue working on this later tonight.

In my game, the choices you make control how George's game looks! Don't procrastinate on making the game, though, or else one of the aspects of his game will be super sloppy! For example, if you skimp out on making the sprites in George's game, his sprites will look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Oh. Oh dear. That's not...that's not how you make a walking sprite, George.

There's supposedly a way to ensure that all of George's game will look good, but you have to do a few favors for a few people...

TO DO DURING LUNCH BREAK:
    Continue writing script for first day working scene
    Sketch maps for room, Sue's Studio

TO DO TONIGHT:
    Finish making sprites for Sue
    Implement the first day scene (this is where you choose what George will work on in his game for that day: mapping, graphics or music!)
    Start making sprites for NPCs
    Make choice buttons

Tea's Jams and Marquise* like this.
  20. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @woobv How can you not have Chrome? Or is he the villain? :kaoblush:

Also I always thought of IE as a nice guy with glasses, with his hip twin brother Edge.

Really love Your Safari btw.

Tea's Jams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.