Low class wizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Today's progress:
It's been educational, I have dedicated myself most of the day to finishing the art for the main characters, I'm no artist so I it's been rough, but I finished both the main character and the IA, 3 more characters left, but also it's been hard since I'm suddenly losing motivation thats why i'm writting in here, i'm gonna finish this before the deadline no matter what
I don't know it helps me saying it somewhere
Tomorrow's quest:
Finish all characters...it's gonna be hard

@Dezue The art looks amazing! More points for the doggie
@just1witness I'm been also thinking about skipping the title screen, the game has to last 1 hour and having an attractive one takes time, I vote for skips

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The Hurricaine has passed! I've never been in a hurricane before, and I'm not really sure I was on one yesterday or last night either... it was just a lot of wind and some rain. I didn't see any flying cows or anything (like in the movie Twister). But on the plus side I get yesterday and today off work (because I work in a school), and got a fair amount of game making done, even with my husband driving me mad by watching downton abbey right beside me.

So he's back to work today (poor him), so I'm hoping to get some tutorials done and some more mapping and eventing done today.

Hope everyone else isgetting work done on their games as well, the progress I've seen so far has been amazing, so many brill entries I'm starting to think I might not have a real shot at winning. but I will try anyway!

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I need to ask your advice on something, folks. I believe I needed to scale my characters size up a bit to fit the tileset better, and I need to know if you think they look okay:

Too pixelated? Should I have smoothed it somehow? Or do they look okay, as long as all the sprites look that way?

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DragonVine

Thanks! I'm not sure what we're doing with created resources after the project yet, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. :)

Regarding these sprites, I do think they look a bit off when compared to the tiles. Is there a reason you have to scale the characters up? Candacis created some tall sprites bases, and Avery has a wonderful tutorial on making the base MV sprites taller. Either of these options might be a more aesthetically pleasing solution, if larger sprites is the intent?

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Gabrelik It largely comes down to my spiriting ability. I'm rather poor at it haha. I find the default sprites, and generator sprites seem too small for the tileset in question. Regarding meshing with the tiles themselves, at the moment, I'm more concerned about if they look off when I increased their size rather than perfectly meshing with the tiles. I can likely change the colour tones to make them fit a little better relatively easily.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Part of the problem is that your walls are so high and there's no furniture in the room to compare the scale to.

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Sharm Fair point. I've added some furniture and the original sprites along with the scaled up ones just to give an example. Thanks for pointing that out. This should help in the discussion.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I woke up real early today (which means more work on my game before work XD) and I've almost finished all my states and skills (hooray) I think I only need 2 more combat and 5 support spells and then I'll be done with all the magic skills, from there there's only a few non-magic skills, so I should be done with skills (hopefully) tonight.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@DragonVine I think the smaller ones actually look better, they're just too short. If you're really against following Avery's tutorial or using existing tall sprites (Bis has some good ones) maybe using the smaller heads on upscaled bodies could work.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I worked a bit more on my skills I realized I have a very (very) strange naming style when it comes to spells, I mean you could (probably) tell that a spell called "Dirge of a dying sun" would probably be a fire spell... But some of them are a bit more of a stretch (for example, Checkmate is a auto revive spell that activates when the casters hp hits 0, WHY is it called Checkmate?)...
Because you're cheating death, and what's the most common contest against the grim reaper in media? Chess! And when you get your opponent trapped where they can't move their king out of check it's called checkmate and you win!
Yeah. That's the chain of logic my mind made when I was trying to name the spell...

I'm kinda weird.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@DragonVine I think the small ones look better, maybe bring the walls down one block?

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Sharm Thanks Sharm! I'm not against using Avery's tutorial at all. I shall try that and see how I end up.

@just1witness Unfortunately, it seems the tileset looks better being three high rather than two. Some pieces don't seem to fit. However, if following Avery's tutorial doesn't work out, that will be the route to go.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update
=============
Real life
-------------
Sadly I am still feeling very very ill. Working with the flowers isn't helping with my stuffy nose either (I'm wearing a mask atm so I don't dirty the plants.) Every time a customer comes in I have to hide lol. Seeing me in my condition would freak them out. Though they are curious where I am and ask my boss.

IGMC
-----------
Tonight I think I'm going to finish sorting out all the bgm's and sound effects for the proper areas and events. I'm not going to be placing them down yet just listening to them and writing down in a text where it will belong in the game. I also have to make sure finishing the portraits for Lemongreen.

I'm writing this on my break at the moment so sorry for any typo's

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Uuuuuugh....coming off of a long weekend filled with coffee and late nights and not enough sleep. I'm so exhausted but I've made a lot of progress. Was it worth the trade off for my health? Probably not. Need to get better sleep and just wake up early to do what I would have done into the wee hours of night. Uuuugh.

So, progress- I've been away for a few days and initially did not feel that there was anything to post about but now there certainly is: Between my brother and I doing trade-off duty, we have the music picked out for the game, finished the first level maps, eventing, and cut scenes and have now moved on to the next major part. Also spent the weekend hammering out bugs in our scripts and other issues that arose. With that all settled we feel that creating the rest of the game should be a lot smoother. Also had to create a test game to figure out how Jet's Stealth System works vs. a port over of Prof. Meow Meow's Tracer system, we have decided that we are probably going to ditch Jet's or figure out some way to blend the two stealth systems for our purposes. The lack of demos I could find for either script made things difficult for me. I had to spend hours reading and rereading the instructions with a magnifying glass and scrutinizing the language to figure out what they were trying to explain for the set up process. Spent hours trying to figure out both and then to get them to behave how we wanted. We'll see as game development progresses. It is strange knowing that we need the stealth system majorly for the creation of a smart serial killer AI-it is SO weird to think that I'm making that. Also knocked out some custom graphics and new animations for our protagonist Ellie.

I need to listen to my husband and brother and get some rest. After this weekend I feel so rugged and run down.

I have a question in regards to the contest that I'm hoping somebody can answer-my brother was wanting multiple endings for the game, and there are two in the first level depending on what the player does. If a judge was to get one of these early game overs would it disqualify the game for failing the first hour mark- or would they continue to play knowing that it was an early game death? Needed to know about this to see if we need to disable these two early game over endings.

@DragonVine -I already love the Ancient Dungeon tilesets so I am in awe seeing how you are making them come to life. Love the winter village, adventurer's guild and everything!
@Plueschkatze - I like your custom graphics. Gives your game a unique vibe.
@BigAntlers -Thank you for asking the question about the +18 rule rating, my brother and I were concerned about it to for our horror game
@woobv -I can't say enough about what I'm seeing for your game. I love everything about it, the unique UI, the characters, everything! Looking forward to playing it!
@Derk -It's nice to see somehow else is doing a survival horror game, I'm curious to see how yours turns out!
@DjowG - Love to see that someone else is using the POP! graphics
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome -how in the world do you have so much done already?! Also, loving those hot spring maps!
@Moonlight Daemon -I'm sorry to hear that you lost your data!
@Geoff Moore -I am digging the retro style of your game. It makes it stand out!
@just1witness -Your forest map is so beautiful!
@Bonkers -It's great to see other games using the POP! tilesets. Loving your custom busts and the system display!
@Enigma_Productions - We're using Khas's Lighting too! I hear you when you say that it adds a certain freak factor to a game. While we've been test playing we have that vibe with our game. I even jumped last night while testing playing at 1:30am because I forgot my brother set up a thunderstorm and it suddenly went off while I was running around in the dark with my flashlight.
@slimmmeiske2 -What a beautiful title screen! And I agree, everything seems to be moving too fast to comment on everyone's progress!
@Dezue -I am loving your funky graphics!
@Gabrelik -That train is gorgeous!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Guardinthena
I have no idea to be honest. lol. I'm just pecking away at it every spare moment I have.

But so many other people seem to be so much farther ahead of me. lol.

EDIT!
Updates

1. I only have one more scene of dialogue to do in town before we can gather the troops and head off on an adventure.
2. So far the playthrough is 15 mins. This game is going to go over the hour I can just tell it will. But the story needs to be as long as it is or it won't make sense.
3. I've decided in the interest of saving time in game all battles are optional, bar the boss battles in each section. Because of this EXP will be kept low and item drops will be more common.
4. No mapping done today. But as soon as I have the town story dialogue done I'm finishing the Hotspring Cave map so I can begin the eventing there. Thankfully the next large dialogue area happens after the town of Jesma... the rest are just little bits to fill the player in on certain things.

Man this game making is hard... and only two weeks to finish it!!

Last edited:

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All right, I now have three options. The original, upscaled body, smaller head, and large head that none of us like hahaha. Let me know what you think folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to create a diagonal sprite, by following through GrandmaDeb's tutorial here.
(Basically, cutting up and resizing parts from the down and left version of the sprite.) :LZScheeze:

I've been reworking some old sketches, there's definitely a change on the artwork :kaopride:

Drawing a character who fight with his dog in battle is an interesting yet difficult affair. :D
Trying to get my good habits back again after this year... I need to go back to the gym, but Brazil is still in a bad situation of Covid-19, so I will try to work out at home! :D
I need to become a better battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PizzaRico