Status
Not open for further replies.

Roden124

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I share a common sentiment here about the progress I've made versus the rate days pass by. However, today I realized I'm making great anti-progress.

While I concentrate on the game itself, my outline is morphing. I'm losing the size while keeping the scope.

The world doesn't need to be big, it just has to feel big.

My game's structure was reasonable to begin with, so ill-fated ambition was never a concern. However, now that I've cornered the pace, the development schedule should proceed smoothly and everyone benefits from the focused experience.

The work you don't do matters just as much as the work you did. The obvious message says to work harder, but consider the flip meaning:
Beware the Sunk Cost Fallacy!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@slimmmeiske2 That turned out really well, it looks like it was all done on purpose, not scrapped together. It actually took me far too long to recognize my own pixel work in the frame. :D
Your frame was actually the only thing that was planned. ;)

Progress since last post:
* Finished writing. (I'll do some editing on the fly when I'm eventing.)
* Been converting some DS resources to XP-size. (I still had some from last IGMC, but that took place in a completely different setting, so I can't use all of that work.)
* I've done 7 maps so far. They range from horrible to meh. I wish I had time to actually work on them decently, make sure I have the right resources, but time is the biggest enemy so far...
* Changed the font.

Still to do:
* 16 maps to go
* All eventing
* Decide on music

sorabokki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Sorry for being MIA folks! I had a bit of a medical emergency that left me unable to work for a couple days. :'( But I'm back and will have to deal with the pain until my scheduled (small) surgery >:D
(I make it sound pretty bad... but I promise it's not that bad LOL)

On another note, trying to catch up on 2 days' work is hard. > ~ < Just finished 2 character outlines and the Entire Branch for the 1 Route you will be playing in Arc 1 for our game. :D

The next couple days will be dedicated to finishing/extending the script!

==========================================================

Sorry, there are a lot of replies. Went through all the pages I haven't gone through yet!

REPLIES

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome - WOW! That is actually an insane amount of things to do and a lot of things you accomplished! That's so motivating to see the table. Thanks for sharing :)

@Nicola - Oh my goodness THAT ART IS SO CUTE! I love the characters so much ^ ^

@just1witness - The sprites are such an adorable style. I love the color of the character's hair!! And the details are awesome. :3

@Roden124 - HIIII! <3 I'm so glad to see you participating in IGMC again this year! :) After seeing your last entry, I can't wait to see what you come up with this year. That said, your quote is wonderful! I completely agree... Knowing what to leave out is just as powerful as knowing what to put in! Well said. :D

@slimmmeiske2 - Sounds like you've gotten a lot done and is winding down a few key departments. Woot! Good luck~
Also, just saw your title screen IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I love the design of the border; it gives it a very heavenly feel~ Great use of resources. ^ ^

@Trivi - I think that's great progress! There's only less than 2 weeks left, so don't lose motivation just yet! Just gotta keep chugging. :D Hope to play your game too~ Really loving the landscape layout and details!!

@Frogboy - Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll come out with a lovely entry! ^ ^

@The Mighty Palm - HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! THAT INTRO!! WHAT SMOOTH ANIMATIONS AND FLUID MOVEMENTS! > ---- < I am squealing because your pixel version of the IGMC mascot IS TOO CUTE FOR WORDS!! Loving it <3 And the sound adds SO much depth. Great work! :D <3

@RishigangiX - Omg brilliant. XD Hahah I like the flat UI icons you use for the game! My programmer suggested that idea too LOL. Great minds think alike I suppose! Really looking forward to playing this one... to relive the nightmar-- I mean, wonderful journey it's been so far!

@DragonVine - Oooh, what beautiful patterns on the walls and carpet! I think the sprites look very cute, but is a little clashing against the wonderful details of the background. Maybe try simplifying the details (sad :'( ) or increasing the details of the sprites? (I saw your later screenshots, and definitely think the smallest sprites work best!)

@Guardinthena - You are much, much too sweet! Thank you. ; v ; It's really motivating to hear those words! Please be sure to listen to your husband and brother -- rest is just as equally important as is progress in your game! If you burn out, you won't make as much quality progress! As for the "first hour mark", there is no requirement that it has to be an hour long (or longer). Judges will play UP TO an hour of your game and no more. So if your game takes 5 minutes to play, that's totally fine. :) If it takes 30 hours, they'll only play 1 hour! Hope that helps.

@Bonkers - UM YESSS?? I APPROVE OF THIS LOGO!! Anything to do with hearts and love is going to be wonderful, I know it XD Also the CHARACTER PREVIEW! I love Claude's design. He's so good looking <3 And all those adorable monsters!! Do we have to kill them? ; - ; Can I just keep them?
I *just* saw your youtube preview too. I can't get over how wonderful the sprites came out!! The style is so unique and stands out so beautifully! AND JAYCE IS SO PRECIOUS???

@Dezue - Wow! Your character designs are so unique and lovely!! It just oozes so much creativity. THE DOG?? SO CUTE! I MUST HAVE IT!! And your environment sketch is just so beautiful! I wish I could draw backgrounds as skillfully as you! Q v Q Really looking forward to this! (And better late than never as they say XD)

@Gabrelik - Oh my gosh..... that train is looking absolutely breathtaking, wow!! The level of detail and focus on every element is just stunning. Great work so far! If the rest of your game is going to be this high quality, O___O Going to blow a lot of us out of the water XD haha

@readydotexe - I like Kyla's design! Is the character an AI? :)

@David Montgomery-Blake - WOW! a 13 Reasons Why + Life is Strange combo?! Now THAT I must play. The premise by itself is enticing me to want to try it out! :) Sorry to hear you scrapped it though. Maybe it can be something you can explore later? XD
THE GRAPHICS OF THE SECOND GAME THOUGH! So cute. :D I like the idea that cats will rule the kingdom too, hehe

@Enigma_Productions - The sprites are looking amazing so far! I must say my favorite has to be Leonard right now (can't stop drooling at the hot men * - * HAHAHA) Good luck with finishing them!!

@Derk - I may be a biased artist so I'll say..... EVENT GRAPHICS > MAPS YEAHSSS!! I get to see beautiful preview shots like the one you showed with Estrella! Which I'm loving. Your style is is wonderful!

@lemongreen - Wow! Look at that thorough map! With so many furniture and elements laid out everywhere, you can't NOT look at it for a long time. I can definitely tell you put in a lot of hard work to making it look so full!

@Geoff Moore - You, my sir, ARE SO COOL FOR HAVING SUCH A BEAUTIFUL AESTHETIC! Omg that little robot man -- too cute. Please tell me he's the main character!

@JacobM - The sprite movement looks really fluid! I love the flow of the character's cloak as he walks. :D Looks really natural!

@DjowG - I thought I commented on your picture. I think I've seen it in the discord channel! BUT THE LEVEL OF REALISTIC PIXEL GOODNESS IS THROUGH THE ROOF!! The splotches of unique blood pools and broken glass, and car crushing.... It's just too good!! The polish is really high quality!

Roden124

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
\(・u・ )/
I'm happy to see you in the running as well! I recognized your art style immediately and I really look forward to your game too. I'll be keeping my eye on Chrome, as he is my main browser but also my worst enemy when I try to work with GameMaker. They fight to see who can take up the most resources in my computer, not considering my feelings at all...:kaoslp:

Gin

The djinn
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Gin I see, you are parallaxing! Too much work pays off you know, just don't overdo it. We got only 1 month. :p
Yeah...But I thought I was going to make only like 3 or 4 maps when I started doing it...:dizzy:
Anyway, I made many many fairies, the bremen musicians, the frog king and added a lot of stuff to my dream forest map...:popcorn: and made something else that was cool too, but can´t seem to remember what it was...:blink:a
I´ll post it later(when I fiure out what was it)...>_>

Have funnnn....:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Feeling much better than I did yesterday. I was allowed to come home early today from work since I still have little headaches and my boss doesn't want me getting worse.

Finally finished the main bust sets for @lemongreen
Now I just have to make a few faces for the characters and then I am completely done.
After I finish the faces I can jump back to my game again.

I have a question. What is the resolution size for an image bust in both vx ace and Mv? I would like to know so that this way I can resize the image to an appropriate size.

4.png
5B.png
2.png
1.png
3.png
If anything seems uncolored please let me know lol. I probably will spot it on my own now that I am more alert but just in case I'd like to have a different person's eye.

Last edited:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
A bit of our progress! =3
We have a looot of custom tiles done, so I started the first actual map today~ (and will finish that tomorrow!)
Thehehe~

I secretly stalk twitter, discord and this thread an must say... there are so many promising projects! Can't wait to see them finished!
I hope everyone is having a blast (like we have!).

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So our team has been collaborating using a Trello board. First time using it in game development and generally it's working out well.

Ok, I mean it has its share of frustrating glitches (WHAT?!! I totally saved that!!! Where did it go?!) and I find it can get really messy if it's not actively being reorganized all the time. Still, its been really helpful overall.

Plus IRL work and this competition = little sleeping time. starting to feel a bit woozy. Will have to just sleep a whole day to get back. Stay healthy everyone!

Dezue

*******.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whoa whoa whoa, this thread is ON FIRE! So many updates, so much funky progress!

We've been gettin' the groove on in the last days as well! :)
* The second and third quest are designed
* @Oni Giri has started RPGMaking!
* The rest of the room is layouted and the first areas are being worked on (see my messy WIP below)

Started with the wooden beams, because they are the most important thing, right?

@Bonkers Nice busts! And I love the suggestive dialogue :D
@Gabrelik I like how the train gives this instant FFVII-feeling! Choo choo!
@RishigangiX After your players beat your game, make them play it again in Game Jam mode ;) So they see what we go through here!
@readydotexe Thanks! You can do it, hang in there! Good luck with your game :)
@DragonVine Good luck with the sprites! I liked the bubble head versions better, but #2 probably fits better inside your maps :)
@Guardinthena Whoa, I really hope you're better now! I have to admit I respect your working spirit, though... still, I hope you rested for a while. Take care and let's make funky games without killing ourselves! ;)
@iVale Looks freaking awesome, will definitely play it!

@TheSkullWolf Haha, I feel exactly the same as you!
@Trivi For a beginner, your maps look sexy enough :) Looking forward to your game!
@just1witness Nice progress, and cool sprites! Harold grew up so fast :D
@The Mighty Palm Haha, nice intro, very 8-bit! Gotta love the sound effects! :D
@Nicola Cute artstyle! Our game will also be pretty short, 15 minutes already seems like a lot!
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Dude, you're pretty organized, nice! :D Also, so many things already at 100%!

@woobv Thank you for your kind words! I love reading your replies to everybody, you're such a nice person!
Obviously, I'm impressed by your script and looking forward to playing Love Net! Also, get well soon and I hope game making helps a bit to forget the pain!
@Gin The Bremer Stadtmusikanten! XD XD XD So cute, I don't need anymore sweets for today! ;)
@Plueschkatze Your maps remind me of Paris so much! :) Well done and looking forward to your game!

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All right, I think I finally figured out the best look for my inner maps. Walls 2 tiles high, and the sprites seem to fit slightly upscaled. Let me know what you think:

I also requested some help with the editing for one of my sprites, and may have to request more, but now that I've settled on the look for the maps, I can move on and focus on finishing them.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright so I checked my schedule @ work today and I only have 2 more weekends before the deadline (eek!) so I'm going to start giving myself specific goals for this weekend then I'll update the goals as I get them done, this weekends goals are-
1. Map the 3 interiors I NEED (after I finish everything else I can map interiors for the houses if I have time left)
2. Start working on events, I want to have at LEAST the town done, and maybe get some work done on the monster camp as well.
3. Finish the last of the skills. (I only have a few left to do so this shouldn't take too long)
4. Get the main chars sprite done (I don't have a specific idea for how he should look yet, so I'll probably edit a generator character to make it)

Edit: Looking good @DragonVine!

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DragonVine I agree this is the best look yet! :)

Day 14 (TWO WEEK WARNING, WEOOOO WEEEOOOOOO WEOOOO!!!!:o;_;:D:guffaw:)

1.)Today was spent entirely getting the graphics and sound effects set up for the next quest, I am done with that part now (I think) and hope that I can pull off what I see in my head. If I do, get ready for a good belly laugh, I've been playing it out in my head for two days now and it still makes me giggle out loud every time I think about it.

Tomorrow, I hope to event and complete this quest, it may take more than one day though. We shall see, I'm excited to see how it turns out, and if it makes my kids laugh.

TO EVERYONE! I LOVE what I'm seeing, I'm not commenting on each one, but I read all the updates on this thread. Keep up the awesome work, I can't wait to see the finished products!!! :D

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's a look at the first floor of the guild:

Thank you all for your comments, advice, likes, etc. It's all been very helpful and encouraging! The second floor and basement will have more doors, and separate rooms. I wanted the first floor to be a bit more open and busy, so to speak, with lots of adventurers wandering about. A good place for tutorials, methinks.

Everyone, your work looks great! I love seeing how you are all doing.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you for your comments @woobv and @Dezue

It certainy seems like a lot sometimes. Lol. But I’m getting through it at least. Gonna have to finish the maps pretty quick. Once they’re done the eventing and stuff should fall into place.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weekend Goals
1. Complete :cutesmile:
2. In progress, I have most of the Mayor's house done, (except for the story stuffs) The tavern NPC standard dialogue done, and I'm finishing up the Inn now. :blink:
3. No progress :headshake:
4. I have an idea (kinda) of what he will look like now, so yay? :unsure:
With goal #1 out of the way I think I can add another one now.
5. I'm gonna have to make a sprite (yay. :dizzy:) for the main characters pregnant wife... Wish me luck. :stare:

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finished a few parallax maps, a potion shop, a weapons shop, and a thrown/shrine like room. Plus a farely large cutscene that sets up the majority of the plot. Hopefully the game will be more action oriented from here on out. I made my town a little larger than anticipated and have one more major cutscene to do.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this is what I ended up doing for "Orrin"
Gospel Movement.png I pretty much just made two different move charsets with different clothes put them overlapping in Gimp and erased the shoulders and hands of the top one to get the look I wanted
Kinda wish I was able to do something more original, but with both limited skill and time I'm running out of options, anywho tell me what you think (before I end up doing the same thing to the battler and finding out it looks horrible :headshake:;_;)

I have what the main character's wife is going to look like too (sorta gonna be the same thing I did for "Orrin" >_>) But at least with these two (sorta) out of the way I can focus on the other things, so goal #4 done(?) I guess.

Derk

Sad Machine
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was sick for the past couple of days, but I did at least get the main character's (necessary) faceset done, and later at the end I can add more. I also ended up having to tweak it a bit first, because something weird happened with the coloring. The coloring that is experimental because I'm not experienced in painting and there's plenty of flaws, but it at least got me practice.
Lou Faceset Preview Image.png

The main character also now has a balloon/sound for when she gets hit by an enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys I just want to sit around and work on my game! *gets lots and lots of money shoveled at him* Game, I don't recall a game. What game? :LZSexcite:
Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yellowsonicboom64