2017 IGMC Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by bgillisp, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guardinthena

Guardinthena Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    TheoAllen Insane Anti Lag optimizes the efficiently of default scripts, among other things. I posted the link to the site if you're curious. It explains it all better. http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topi...nti-lag-version-11-added-page-check-enhancer/

And according to RPG Maker Source Effectus- TheoAllen's Insane AntiLag script is second only to theirs.http://rpgmakersource.com/ourproducts/effectus/

And don't get me wrong, the Insane Anti Lag script has helped out our project, it's just that we are running a handful of scripts that is weighing down our FPS. We have Khas's Awesome Light Effects, Galv's Character Effects, in game weather going, our HUD (that's acting glitchy) and now Vlue's Advanced In Game Time script. It is a lot for the game to handle and there is a defiant threshold we are hitting. Right now Vlue's script is pushing pass this threshold and lagging the game. So I need to find time to sit down and figure out if our project will run better with a simpler clock made through a common event and ditch Vlue's, if we are just going to have to ditch the clock altogether (although that would mess with another common event I was planning on writing up soon for game progression and cut scene control) or if there is some way I can help ease the load by removing or reducing some of our other special effects that the game is trying to keep track of.

I was intending to upload a short teaser video later today or this weekend of the first level. So you'll be able to see then all these scripts in action that I'm talking about. In my opinion, between Khas's Lighting, Galv's Character effects for shadows and reflections, it really grounds the sprite to a breathable world. It's just a matter of trying to get all of the scripts to play nicely without lagging the system. :(

What stealth system are you using? I already went through this last weekend for our project. If you need help I could offer assistance. I got our stealth system to work two different ways before my brother decided he liked the region tile automatic stealth activation over the button press I had set up.

Sorry about the double posting everyone, I didn't see @Derk until after I posted the first. Edited this one to include it. It there a way to delete the second post?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Dezue and Tea's Jams like this.
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Guardinthena : You can just report your 2nd post and ask it to be merged with the first. I went ahead and deleted your 2nd post for you since you already merged it yourself.

Tea's Jams and Guardinthena like this.
  3. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh! I didn't know that! Thank you!

Tea's Jams likes this.
  4. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm making good progress. Unfortunately, I've learned in the past that decorating maps is usually best left for the end so I don't have much pretty stuff to share just yet. I'll share some actual game play shots when I'm closer to finished.

sorabokki, Dezue and Tea's Jams like this.
  5. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm using Yanfly's Button Common Event, and Yanfly's Event Chase Player (with Event Chase) for MV. Either using plugin commands is harder than I though (which...it shouldn't be......) or I overlooked something reading both plugins. And thanks, I'd appreciate the help, if you can.

Of course the alternative to this is just having players have to juke/avoid enemies, which as I think I said earlier, you have to be up in the enemy's face for them to notice you, so it's pretty forgiving in that aspect.

Tea's Jams likes this.
  6. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had to ditch Yanfly's Button Common Events from my project. The latest version has issues. When I tried to include it with Keyboard Config, it crashed and wouldn't let me configure the keyboard any longer. I had to choose one or the other.

7. Guardinthena

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ooooh, I'm working in VX Ace not MV, but I used Yanfly's Button Common Event for what I had set up and it worked. First, did you grab the right version of Yanfly's Button Common Event? If you did, I read on the page that if you have the Keyboard Config installed than you will be experiencing problems and to delete the plugin or revert to the original keyboard settings.

I had both Jet's Stealth System and a ported script of Prof. Meow Meow's Tracer System. Ended up using the Tracer System with Yanfly's Button Common Event and this tutorial:
    and I was able to set up the button event. I haven't fiddled around enough with MV but I imagine that the process must be the same or very similar. All I did differently in the youtube tutorial was flip the directions for the ON/OFF switches.

I hope this helps you out @Derk!

What @Frogboy said!

8. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    3 maps from completion then just have to tidy up. Might actually get a project done on time.

Tea's Jams and Dreadshadow like this.
  9. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Man, I wish I only had that few maps left to go, but admittedly I don't have a lot to do. I may or may not also end up editing tilesets for them, or doing parallax (though at least I've done both of those before, to some degree).

@Guardinthena So far, now it seems the majority is the issue of me having set up stealth wrong somehow(because I Am Totally Good At This; though in reality I think I'm overthinking it so I'll go back and rewatch the video for it, as that's helped me in the past), but once I straighten that out, I'll keep this in mind to make sure the button works right. And thanks!

10. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @woobv Thank youuu :wub: You guys seem to be progressing along nicely as well!
    @Dezue I like your style. Looking forward to trying this one out. :)
    @Plueschkatze Ah those tiles, that sprite! It all looks lovely :kaoluv:

Progress since last post:
    * Converted some more resources to XP format.
    * Finished 9 maps. They're fine enough. I've posted one in the spoiler below.
    * Compiled a list of music that fits the game.

[​IMG]

Still to do:
    * At least 4 maps. Maybe 6 if I decide to split them up. -> needs to be done by the end of the weekend
    * Need to decide which music needs to play on what map/which scene. -> needs to be done by the end of the weekend
    * All eventing. -> starting next week hopefully

11. JacobM

JacobM Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Got all of the lower forest maps completed today! :D
    [​IMG]

12. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is my first post on this board. Been plugging away at a game, not sure if I'll finish for IGMC but I'm going to TRY! It's forcing me to prioritize - get the bones done, and add flesh/features later. If I finish a game (even just a barebones game), I will consider myself a winner!

I've got my weapons DONE (including descriptions), my basic items DONE (ditto, may add skill items later), my armors mostly done except for descriptions and most of the accessories, some basic framework for my enemies set up, and a good idea of what the rest of my game is going to look like, with some significant progress on my own custom plugins that I want to incorporate.

Goal is to get as near to a classic roguelike dungeon crawl as possible, though I imagine it will be a more traditional RM dungeon crawl given the time constraints. I tried making a sprite, and I'm happy with my result, but it took 2-3 days to do, so I think I'm going to have to use RTP sprites and tilesets. I might change the look a bit with some filters. But my next big goal is to make custom windowskins!

Good luck and great progress so far, everyone!

sorabokki, Dezue, Dreadshadow and 2 others like this.
  13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    After coming to terms with not finishing on time and deciding that I'm not going to try to do any balancing or databasing or any of that logic stuff, I find it much easier and more fun to work on the project. I've been messing around more with the menus; now with custom sound effects and a nifty new selection thing that doesn't mess up my pixel look. Sadly there's a bug between that script and the one that rearranges my menu screen, and I haven't a clue how to fix it. I suspect that the problem is with the menu script. I'll see if I can convince one of my family members to fix it, most of them know javascript and could probably do it very quickly. Next stop, making a font! S-Font, luckily, making a good pixel font with font making software is annoying.

sorabokki, Rabosion, Dezue and 3 others like this.
  14. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Still tried and failed to get this stealth to work, but I'm at least pretty sure where the problem is, I just can't see what's causing it to not work, because as far as I can tell it should. I'm currently making a thread about it, which......got long, because I'm trying to be as thorough as possible when describing the issue.

On the brightside, if I decide to scrap it, it's not a deal breaker for the game, it'll just function slightly different.

Edit: I fixed it, somehow. I guess shenanigans happened again. And by that I mean I redownloaded it, and the names were different, so I'm just "???" The thing is, I know you're not supposed to rename plugins, and I don't, and I definitely don't remember renaming it, nor do I know why I ever would. Unless somehow I downloaded something wrong by accident, even though I'm sure I downloaded it from Yanfly's website to begin with (and recently), or somehow renamed it by accident (possible, I can be dumb), I don't know what happened. :kaodes:

Dreadshadow and Tea's Jams like this.
  15. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol I put the name of one of the healing spells as "Heal 2: Electric Boogaloo" as a joking temporary name... I kinda want to keep it that way!

EDIT: So unless I do end up deciding to rename it I'm done with skills now. (Hooray!) I'm also almost through eventing the first part of the story, I have through to the first "Boss" done (I'm also thinking about having ALL battles scripted)

Dezue, Frogboy, Dreadshadow and 2 others like this.
  16. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Day 16

Not too awful much done today ;_;

I went to work, had a garage sale, had family over and a bonfire, not much time to work on this.

1.) I fixed some things with my events that needed to be fixed.
    2.)Mixed another audio file
    3.) polished quest 5 some more.

It's going to be hard to get anything done this weekend, we'll see how it goes. :p

17. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Got some database work done tonight, did most of the first part of the plot, made the last of the skills I needed, and I finished the tutorial battle... I'd say I've had a pretty good day (unfortunately I'm back to work tomorrow :stare:) depending on how much I'm able to work on this tomorrow I'd say I "should" (no promises) be able to finish the first part of the plot. But with only two more weekends before the deadline and me only 1/4th of the way through the story, I'm growing a little concerned about being able to finish the whole thing on time (I might have to cut a little out of my plans in order to make it :() Let alone playtesting it... Oh well worrying won't solve my problem, I just have to keep working and try my hardest, beyond that we'll just have to wait and see. :popcorn:

Tea's Jams and Dreadshadow like this.
  18. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You are gonna make it! Don't worry too much.

As for the rest of you, I would like to share a thought, through my experience from the previous competitions.The game shall be rated for the first 60 minutes of gameplay, as long as it works properly and it doesn't violate any rules.If you are about to make a 60 minute game, you can deliver your story and give a gaming experience in under than 1 hour. To do that you don't need too many monsters. You don't even need too many skills. Not even too many classes or heroes. What you need is a mini edition of a game.
    So here comes what I wanna share. I think it is a good idea to limit your game contents to as much as needed for 1 hour of gameplay. Expanding it further during the comeptition is a waste of time for you. You can always revisit it and expand it afterwards, but you should focus on the first 60 minutes first. Oh! And make sure the judges won't get bored. Because mindless grinding all the time makes a game feel dull.

Good luck we still got enough time to do great stuff.
    Can't wait to play some awesome games!

sorabokki, Marquise*, Nicola and 5 others like this.
  19. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dreadshadow Thank you for the encouragement and the tips! :)

Dezue and Frogboy like this.
  20. Dezue

Dezue patreon.com/peninja Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guardinthena Thank you for your explanation! I can feel your struggle with optimizing the performance. Why couldn't just everything work out of the box? :D
    Sadly, both plugins are not for MV, so we will have to pass. But it was a good tip nevertheless, maybe there'll be a MV version in the future.
    @slimmmeiske2 Thank you! We're looking forward to playing your game as well [​IMG]
    @Llareian Good luck to you as well!
    @Sharm That's the spirit! :) Have fun!
    @TriceratopsX Your skill names! Are! Hilarious! [​IMG]
    @just1witness Go go go! You can do it! [​IMG]

Igor the Toolbox says 'hi and happy Making to y'all'!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.