2017 IGMC Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by bgillisp, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sooo~ Here's an update.

We've been working a lot on custom graphics for the past 2 weeks.
    And now we've finally started building the actual maps and eventing! Yeah! <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly I don't have the time to leave comments on everyones progress.
    But I check back frequently and have some games I really wanna check out once they are done...
    If my english speaking skills were a bit better I'd love to record myself playing the first 10-15 minutes of some of those... but yeah... I doubt it would be enjoyable! HAHA.

Everyone, keep up the great work!

@slimmmeiske2 Wahh! That screenshot it way to cute! I need to play it! >////< I so adore those supercute graphics.
    @JacobM Those maps look really nice. I dig that 2.5D approach!
    @Dezue I really dig that graphics and colors. Great work! Can't wait to see that in action.
    @IAmJakeSauvage Looks like an interesting game and battle system. I'll keep an eye on that on, too! :)

@ Everyone Else: Just keep making your game! I think everyone of us who enters is already a winner, since we made a game within a month! I hope some of us will take the time to play through these and leave some feedback, so we can learn and imrpove! :3

Baaaack to work!

2. DjowG

DjowG Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress so far:
    -A friend will help me with the English language o/ (she lives 6 years abroad, I hope it's enough [haha])
    - History in 25%
    - Enemies 90% - Items 90%
    - 6 quests - 21 maps [approximate total of 30 maps] - 666bugs =(
    -Still need a lot of balancing and work

@Guardinthena i love the POP! graphics, they have a very solid base to work
    @woobv I'm really happy to hear it coming from you. unfortunately this map is for a cutscene of about 10 sec [haha] you work look so great,
    is doing a wonderful job

Some spoilers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know how to remove this in the text? only appears when there are two lines (image below)
    [​IMG]

3. ShadowHawkDragon

ShadowHawkDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    With the mechanics and database work mostly done, its time for this hawk to pop out of the shadows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next Job - Intro and Tutorials
    By tutorials I mean birds on posts that spout out cryptic rhymes, whoever said tutorials had to be dull?

@Plueschkatze That's some impressive rain you have there O.O

4. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Took a break from working on the game yesterday to go to a local wrestling show here. It was ridiculously fun. Taking it easy today, might make a map or 2, but I'll be back at it full force tomorrow and Monday. Needed a little break for my sanity haha.

5. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay noticed the contest today.
    I got a Name for the Game.
    And i decided to combine 3 Genres.
    Now while trying to figure out the main gameplay mechanics i wait for logic holes and not fitting stuff the moment i open up rpg maker, which will lead to stuff not working like i want :) nah i should be more optimistic maybe.
    Can we share project stuff like story infos and so on? or is it forbidden? or is it just unwise?

sorabokki and Tea's Jams like this.
  6. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Doing skills and animations. Taking the break to take the wife and kids out. LMBS is a pain!

Tea's Jams likes this.
  7. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Have some Screen shots of Hotspring Cave, it's not completely finished, but it looks pretty good so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just gott fix the light on map and it'll be done. Yay!!!!

8. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Plueschkatze So pretty! Excellent pixel work.

@DjowG That's the symbol that pops up when there's a missing glyph in the font. I have no idea why it'd be doing that on a return line, that's a fairly normal character. It should be included in even the most bare bones of fonts. (Yeah, I know it's not supposed to show anything, but in fonts it's actually a character, you have to tell it to put nothing there.) Are you using a hard return (ctr+enter) or just the normal one? Is it showing up everywhere you have a return or just in the menus? You've got three options, figure out how to get the text you want without using the character, go in to the font and fix the missing glyph, or replace the font. By the way, nice job on those battle scenes, those silhouettes are creepy.

@Bex You can share as much or as little as you want. There's a thread in the ideas section for getting feedback on story stuff. (At least I think that's where it is. The section is new, the thread is not.)

@OnslaughtSupply You're doing LMBS in a contest that only lasts a month? You're crazy, but I wish you the best of luck.

I have a screenshot!

preview.png

I put this together using mostly free artwork edited a bit to match the palette I'm using in my game. The title font, window skin, and icons are mine and the rest are found (Thanks to Jetrel, Ansimuz and usr_share). I may still change the actual menu part up a bit but I'm really pleased with how the background ended up. Of course the artist in me is itching to clean up some of those pixels to be a little more precise. . . .

sorabokki, Dreadshadow, BCj and 14 others like this.
  9. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    @Sharm That looks awesome!

Tea's Jams likes this.
  10. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Tea's Jams likes this.
  11. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it bad that when working on my game that I came up with an in-universe justification for how the magic users "aim" lightning spells? I now consider it canon (which technically speaking it is, seeing as I'm the one making it) but I sometimes wonder if I think too hard about some things

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Tea's Jams and DragonVine like this.
  12. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ShadowHawkDragon and @Sharm , gorgeous work! I'm glad I'm only in this to finish a game... :)

I decided to avoid the pitfalls that will come with trying to write my own dungeon randomization plugin in the time allotted and instead will quasi-randomize...I'll make a bunch of maps and randomize their integration, and allow the events within to be randomized. This has the added benefit of allowing me time to write my own menus and, if time allows, on-map event interaction plugin. (That's a reach-for-the-stars sort of stretch goal, really.)

I threw some fun visual effects onto the RTP and I'm really pleased with the results. I also made my basic windowskin, chose music and a font, and made my first dungeon map! I feel like the last 24 hours have been hugely productive.

13. DragonVine

First Language:
    English
    @TriceratopsX Not at all. I have a in universe explanation for stuff like that. It actually plays a role in the plot and mechanics of the spells haha. It's rather simple, but works quite well.

Frogboy and Tea's Jams like this.
  14. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ShadowHawkDragon !!! I'm so happy to see you are participating! I can't wait to see your entry!!!! Your battlers are such an asset to the rpg maker community, I can't wait to see how you use that creative genius in your IGMC entry, thanks for the sneak peak! :D

Day um, what day is it again...17?
    K, more than I thought, especially with the garage sale and family over. I have to go to bed early for an interview at an ungodly hour and I found a lost desperate VERY hungry stray kitten tonight(walking down my country road crying so loud and pitiful)... Crazy day, lol.

1.) almost finished polishing quest 5
    2.) one custom face set I didn't know I needed yesterday, haha

So tomorrow, I'll be happy just to start quest 6...(the cat is crying outside my door right now...o_O)

Anyway, I want to comment on everyone, I am blown away by everyone's work, keep it up, I can't wait to play these entries!!! :D :D

15. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @DragonVine Lol! I originally came up with it as a possible game play feature by having lightning-based magic hit REAL hard but have ridiculously low accuracy, but have a spell grant 100% accuracy to the next lightning spell... Then I kinda realized that then no one would use lightning spells if you have to use a set up spell to make it worth while... So in-universe the set up spell is part of the lightning spell. :kaophew:

@ShadowHawkDragon That looks really good! I look forward to playing it!

@Everyone Keep up the good work guys! Everything's looking great! :kaopride:

First part of the story is complete, three more to go! (Luckily the second part is the shortest)

Tea's Jams, Frogboy and TheSkullWolf like this.
  16. Zelgadis85

Zelgadis85 IGMC 17/18 Entrant Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, everybody's games are looking so good, at least when comparing to my own... Haha. Anyways, at first I never imagined I would actually participate on this (I'm working on a different project) but since that one is stalling down quite a bit (I'm having some problem mapping the way I want) I actually started a little side project, inspired by television shows I was watching back then.

My game has realistically no chances of actually placing in the contest. But that's beside the point, actually making a game in just a few weeks (I started this only two days ago) has already proven to be a refreshing change.

My game will be a puzzle game with no stats nor any combat. You are invited to a party, but the food and drinks served have been drugged for a single purpose: you are entered in an contest against your will by the evil Game Master. When you wake up, you find yourself locked up in a mansion with fifteen other contestants. The Game Master will then contact you and provide the rules of the game: You must solve riddles and puzzles within a set timeframe or die trying. There's another twist, as well. The last person to remain in a room will also die, whittling the competition down little by little. Can you possible outwit your fellow contestants and escape with your life, or will you die to the cruel game set up by the Game Master?

Current progress: The game currently has fourty-four (44) riddles, chosen from random. The first floor is currently under development. If time allows, there will be a total of five floors, each with another theme for riddles / puzzles.

sorabokki, Tea's Jams and Frogboy like this.
  17. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nailed it.
    upload_2017-10-22_2-42-50.png
    Anyway, I ENTIRELY forgot that I have Game Character Hub (the old one) and I can use that for making/editing sprites. That's...okay, not necessarily easier or faster, but the sprites match a bit more as opposed to how I was going to do it. Though I might make my own, for a comparison. On that note, Lou's (the player character's) sprite. It's admittedly a bit janky, but done is better than perfect, especially when you have a time limit.
    upload_2017-10-22_2-46-46.png
    The next sprites to do are Estrella and enemies, and then to actually do maps, and then story/actual game progression, since the mechanics issues have been solved.

18. readydotexe

readydotexe Low class wizard Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's been quite sometime since I last posted something, but the time is really killing me but well here's the progress

-The mechanics are done,It wasn't that hard since it's visual novel style, It's just need to be polished
    (Thank you himeworks for your choices script)

- Finished the few maps of the game, still lack the proper items like the AI itself, also KhasUltraLighting script
    just a little screenshot.png

- The character portraits are on work, I really owe my friend, he's known as Bactover all credit goes to him
    804730246_27249.jpg
    I'll won't comment as much as before for the time being, but everytime I enter here it really inspires me all work from here, good luck everyone!

@Dezue Thank you! It really helped me to continue, and wow your game aesthetics look amazing, let's continue just two weeks left!

19. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh my goodness! I’ve actually managed to finish the dreaded hotspring caves!!!! Yay!!!!!! Now I can move onto other things.

20. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm Crazy like a fox! Lol. I use PVGames style assets so most sprite work is already done. Just had to chop up sprite sheets and resize for LMBS format. With skills, I opened up animation sheets and chopped them up as well. The thing that slows me down is making so many parallax maps.

Got 95% of database done, might have to do a few more enemy's skills but done for the most part.

Added a swimming mechanic as well as a flying (surfing on a cloud) mechanic. When swimming, fishes try to bite at you and eat you. When flying, a dragon is shooting fireballs at you.

sorabokki and Tea's Jams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.