2017 IGMC Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by bgillisp, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah! Back to normal!!!
    KABOOM!
    Debug time. It was about time.
    I mean, one does not simply make a game without bugs at his first attempt!

2. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maps for the beginning of the game are like 90-95% done (Existing. Tweaking doesn't count). I'm also now using Jiffy's inventory grid system.
    upload_2017-10-23_1-11-29.png upload_2017-10-23_1-11-41.png upload_2017-10-23_1-12-4.png

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Dreadshadow, Tea's Jams and Frogboy like this.
  4. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hadecynn ! You're participating too! That is sooo cool, I can't wait to see what you come up with, your animation contributions to the community are stellar!! :D

Dreadshadow and Frogboy like this.
  5. Lucy Fox

Lucy Fox Chosen Undead Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    *just found this thread* ◕_◕
    I'm making this think where you can shift between two different realms to solve some puzzles...
    Basically I have 15 minutes of gameplay yet. xD
    My setting forced me to paint all my maps by myself (cause there are no premade animal-sized tiles D: )
    Here... take some pictures. :3
    mouseCave_asdwa.png hh.PNG

6. lemongreen

lemongreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So due to my health problems over the weekend (I swear it was nothing serious, I was probably just over stressed) I'm now extremely far behind. This means I either have to hack a lot of what I had planned out (and hope the game still makes sense) or shelve my current project and put together a very short project in these last weeks.
    If I do make a short project, I'll probably use a lot of the same resources I'm using now (especially since @Enigma_Productions just finished the busts for the game, and it'd be a shame to waste them)
    Like I said, I wasn't expecting to win, and I'm certainly not if I do decide to switch ideas at this point. (it's either that or dropout :kaodes:)

7. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tea's Jams and Lucy Fox like this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Think I'm going to come up short here. I had a sudden burst of inspiration for my main game since Wednesday last week and I hate to waste it. So work is on the main game now instead of an IGMC entry until the burst of inspiration for the dialogues in that game ends.

On the plus side, if this continues, I should have all dialogues up to the last battle done in another day or two.

9. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I'm starting to feel a little burn out to be honest. I took a day off yesterday (Belgian comic con yay!) and now I can't really get back into a groove. :(
    Anyway, progress since last update:
    * All maps have been mapped. There's two where I still need to add some extra tiles, but I'll leave that for later.
    * Had to change the font I was using, as it was missing some accents.
    * Music has been decided.
    * Intro and cutscenes on the first map have been evented
    * Made a down sprite for Alice

Still to do:
    * More eventing. I'm starting with all the written scenes first. Then it's actually adding items and puzzles.
    * Testing.

10. luizcubas

luizcubas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Pt-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys. This gonna be my first time in a IGMC, I'm giving my best to finish this game in the time, I don't have any expectation, its just for the fun.
    For me, write in english is a barrier to create a game with a story, so my idea its to build a very simple design without dialogs, something like descent a floor in the cave, fight monster, loot, become stronger, repeat.

Here are some screenshots, I aprecciate any feedback:

Some taste of my bad mapping :(
    Spoiler1.png

The equipment system:
    Spoiler3.png

The battle system:
    Spoiler2.png

11. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well...I ran headlong into a wall. I'm having problems calling up data from other maps (I used YEP_CallEvent to store them in what I THOUGHT would be a usable fashion...if you want to check out further info please look at my thread) to use in the randomization process. The only way I can figure out around this problem at the moment is to randomize each map as you arrive on it for the first time, which would involve a forced screen fadeout, placing the character, fixing the character's placement and all the events, and forced screen fadein. Cumbersome...but doable if I can't figure anything else out.

But, at least I got all my maps done through dungeon level 4. I think I will probably need a level 5, but I don't want to invest the effort in it if it proves to be not needed, so I'm going to hold off for now. I can always make 4 levels work if I have to.

This evening was supposed to be about getting my events done, but between a LONG phone call with my parents and this issue, I've gotten next to nothing done on them. I'm feeling a bit discouraged, so I need to take a break.

Tea's Jams likes this.
  12. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Despite being sick most of the day (AGAIN) I managed to get SOME stuff done, like mapping. Also more editing on Estrella's sprite.
    upload_2017-10-23_23-50-31.png

13. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So my To-do list:
    1. Merge maps from mapper to main build.
    2. Do big o chart o combos.
    3. Finish other big o chart o skillz.
    4. Events and scenes! Implement dialogue from writer. Ok, this is like 90% of the workload here.
    5. Find good music.

And coming out of a cold. At least I feel pretty good now. :kaoblush:

14. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    After a few days off, I have returned to mapping. I may have to cut a few things out to finish in time and release the game with the first few quests that make it just over an hour of gameplay. But I'm not too concerned. I only have about 4 or 5 maps left, and it shouldn't be problem to finish those. After that, I just need to work on a few small mechanics then I'll be ready to do all the main quests and story scenes.

A little preview of the castle I'm working on. No scenery yet, but the castle itself is looking good.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Hahaha! I just saw a mistake I made in the screenshot as soon as I posted it.

15. sorabokki

sorabokki Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    AHHHHH, I swear it's becoming a habit to just post and then disappear for days! Sorry for the long silence there! I unfortunately had a prior travel arrangement over the weekend (all day from Friday~Sunday) and couldn't really work on anything during that time. T__T So much time wasted, rip.

But I've been working hard since I've come back!

Update:
    • Just finished about 18,000 words for our script! (Minus like 2k for coding jargon)
    • I had casted voices for our characters a few days before I left for my trip, and people have begun submitting lines! Yay!
    • The theme song was finished on Thursday! You can listen here: SOUNDCLOUD

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

The script in Sublime Text Editor. Look at how tiny that scrollbar is...

[​IMG]

Not quite at 18,000 words yet!

[​IMG]

Yes, I'm very, very weird. (Also hi discord people!! :D)

[​IMG]

Click on the above screenshot to check out my (hopeful) timeline of deliverables!

Note: I AM 100% OVER-ESTIMATING WHAT I CAN CONTRIBUTE, but one can hope, right? :'D

Okay, now onto the slew of replies to everyone's progress so far. @_@ SORRY, BE PREPARED!!
    I'll also try to post daily so I don't keep wall-spamming with replies!

Replies:

@slimmmeiske2 - Ahahaha, thank you! (Although I ended up disappearing right after you said that... eep) > ~ <
    And I can't keep UP WITH THE CUTENESS OF YOUR GAME AESTHETICS!! I really love how adorable everything in your game is. Including the UI! <3
    Glad to see you ended up finishing your "Still to do" list (plus more!) ^ ^ It looks like things are wrapping up, WHOOO!!

@DjowG - AHHH-what, nooo you flatter me!! And that cutscene is going to be one BALLER 10 seconds. >:D P.S. THOSE NEW MAPS LOOK SO GOOD TOO! Omg so much cool blood effects. Digging it so much! AND the portraits are AWESOME! The eyes and face-- I can only *dream* of making art like that. ; - ; <3

@Gin - Such gorgeous sprites! And a great variety too! @ - @ My favorite has to be the first one on the list actually. I'm a big sucker for that red/brownish color tone!

@Enigma_Productions - Did I tell you yet how hot the guys you drew are?! Leonard is still my favorite, with that hair-over-eyes do going on~ ^ ^

@Plueschkatze - WAHHHHH! The atmosphere of EVERYTHING fits together so perfectly! That lamp's light animation looks absolutely adorable! Will there be more animations similar to that? I really like the simplicty of it! :D
    Just saw the rain animation. IT LOOKS GREAT! I like the randomization of each droplet position; it's very well done - not too much clutter in one area or too sparse in another. AND THE MAP! AND THE BACKSIDE OF THE CHARACTER! All so gorgeous!!! T ~ T <3

@Dezue - HELLO LOVELY DEZUE! I finally get to reply to you on the forums (though we've definitely exchanged a fair bit of greetings on discord XD bahaha~). OK I JUST WANT TO SAY YOU'RE NICE?? AND TALENTED AND AMAZING AND -- *Insert 9999 other cool adjectives here*. All the progress shots you've been sharing on discord has been so motivational. Thanks for always being open to share them! ^ ^
    That kitchen looks spectacularrrrrr, I'm just sitting here, staring at it, crying because of how beautiful it is. ;_____;

@DragonVine - I definitely agree with others that it's look better with the background sprites re-scaled! :D Great work!! The overview of the guild's first floor looks super expansive too! Must have taken a lot of time!
    The snowy castle looks GREAT!! i love the color theme that's going on there, and the white rooftops. :3

@Derk - THOSE. EXPRESSIONS. ARE. SO WONDERFUL! I love the range of emotions you can express with your artstyle, quite lovely!!
    P.S. Lou is so cute!! Love the sprites. ; v ;

@Gabrelik - Oh my goodness, I can definitely see where the changes you've made has definitely made the train even more poppin` ! (Didn't even know that was possible!!) Great attention to detail, once again. :D

@IAmJakeSauvage - Firstly, you have *THE* cutest profile picture ever. I must steal it. (No, jk). Secondly, the UI and smooth subtle transitions/animations between each action is SUPERB!!!! I am so jealous of your GUI skills. *studies your video* There are so many little things that put together adds a lot of fluidity. GAHH I CAN'T STOP ADMIRING YOUR WORK!

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome - Good luck with the crafting system! It sounds really cool, but also daunting. I hope to play it, but also understand it'd take a lot of work! As for testers, I'd definitely just ask friends and on random forums. :) Places like TIGSource and indiedb might be a good place to check out!
    Also, good luck with Nanowrimo!! I know that's going to be super hard, especially doing 2 big monthly events back to back!
    Did I mention how dazzling your graphics are? BECAUSE THE ROCKS ARE BLINDING ME WITH GOODNESS! The graphics are great as always ^ ^

@lemongreen - The title screen is looking GREAT! With a big, big G! (Get it... Gerald House..) okay, I'm done. *AHEM* I love the very soft touches you added to the background to give it the feel of mist~ :)
    Also, sorry to hear about your illness over the weekend! Please be sure to rest properly too! Being sick during game development is the worst. :(

@JacobM - I really like the radar effect you have going on to indicate cooldown time. AND that super attack shiny effect animation is stellar! Great job with all the UI and animations!
    The Forest Maps looks great!! I love how you space out the trees, just enough distance between each other so it doesn't seem crowded or busy!

@Frogboy - That is very solid advice! Get the basics & foundation of your game down, and then work on prettifying it near the end, when you've already implemented the core game mechanics!

@Llareian - Welcome to this year's board!! I'll be looking forward to your game (gotta believe you can finish, if you want to finish muahah! >:D ), especially since it seems like you are using a bone rigging system?! That'll be a lot of great polished work! ^ ^

@Sharm - OOOH! Good luck with making the font. That's exciting! Glad that the project also turned out to be more fun without having to worry about the logic side!
    Just saw your custom font and I love it! So cute. And your editing skills is AMAZING. And your color sense is top-notch! Everything fits so smoothly together.

@just1witness - Being able to make it this far while working and having a life... that's amazing! I believe in your talents! :3
    Also CAT IS CUTE!! BEST MOTIVATION EVER!

@Dreadshadow - That is absolutely wonderful advice and very helpful! I know recently my programmer and I were talking about shortening the game because of how much text we have. We're hoping to figure it out after we get QA testers to see how long 1 playthrough goes for them. :D This is refreshing to read though! (That more content != higher chances of winning)
    HOLY SMOKES! YOU'VE ALREADY FINISHED YOUR GAME?! (Theoretically that is) Congratulations first off... and second off! THAT'S GREAT!! You've got the rest of the time to add polishing touches and bug testing! Woooo!!

@Bex - Welcome! Glad to hear you're joining us this year. You know, I feel like games that have really small scope but can still pull off an entire game, are some of the biggest winners! So good luck and hope to see your game! :)

@Zelgadis85 - I think it's hard to judge games against each other when they aren't all in the same genre. (How do you compare FF against Mario? They're both great games in their own ways, right?!) And a puzzle game sounds FANTASTIC! I have yet to see anyone update their entries with anything remotely similar, so this will be great. I'm a huge sucker for puzzles and such, too!

@readydotexe - OOOOH!! Your game's style is so clean and bright! Definitely a different approach compared to some other screenshots I've seen, and it's looking great! Also cute character sprite is cuuuuute!! <3

@OnslaughtSupply - That's great! 30 minutes of gameplay and haven't gotten to the best part yet?! I'd say that's pretty good progress to me. XD Sounds like a deep and intricate story!
    P.S. Your beach map looks ABSOLUTELY phenomenal! Everything from the color palette, to the details, to the mist, to -- EVERYTHING! Everything works so great together!

@HexMozart88 - Wow, I really like the glowing effect you have going for the beetle! :) It looks super surreal and aethereal~ Can't wait to see more sneak peeks!

@motta - Congrats on finishing a puzzle, with only 2 more to go! Kudos to you for also tackling this challenge while in college! I wish I had that kind of initiative at that age... Also, your 2nd screenshot reminds me a little of Ib!! I LOVE IT!! Will there be a little horror elements in your game? XD

@hadecynn - EVERYTHING looks amazing! I was really starstruck by your logo too!! (I'm a big fan of great logos ehehe). The map looks so complex and detailed too! I could just get lost in appreciating the maps! Also, hope your move goes well! C:

@caleb fairchild - Wow! What a breathtaking cover!! I LOVE the background art you have there. Maybe you can put the title somewhere a little more obvious?! As much as I'd hate to see the beautiful art covered up, I think the title could be a bit more centered! ^ ^

@Lucy Fox - OMGGGG, YOU *JUST* FOUND THIS THREAD?! You're so silly!! I'm glad I got to see all the updates on discord XD Because it's so much fun seeing everything come to life in your super intricate and beautifully designed dual world <3

@luizcubas - Welcome to the contest! Glad to hear you're doing it for fun, too - that's the best way to go at it! The battle system looks very interesting! Reminds me of a console setup almost.

@watermark - Glad to hear you're doing much better!! I feel like many devs are getting sick from over-working and pushing quality into their games! Be sure to sleep enough and eat properly! :D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Dreadshadow, Gin, DjowG and 16 others like this.
  16. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Holy **** you replied to everyone alive xD!

17. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Day 19

NADA! Just posting because I've posted an update of every day since I started and well, now it just seems like tradition! lol.

Goals for today... DO SOMETHING! :p

(The kitty saga lives on, we realized she is pregnant and it seems she is miscarrying.)

sorabokki and Gabrelik like this.
  18. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This part makes me sad. I hope everything works out okay. :(

Tea's Jams likes this.
  19. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gabrelik Yeah we are all sad too, she was so starved when she came to the house that we couldn't tell until she had been eating for two days. Poor baby.

20. sorabokki

sorabokki Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Kyuukon - Nooo, I wish I did, but I didn't get to everyone! > - <;;

@just1witness - I've enjoyed going through your daily updates, so very motivating!! :D Thanks for always doing that! Also sorry to hear about your kitty (must have missed the update earlier), that sounds so scary. ; - ;

Tea's Jams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.