2017 IGMC Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by bgillisp, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Work has continued on the castle. I have started building the inside. If all goes well, it'll be done by tomorrow. Within the next day or two, I might be ready to submit a thread for the Games in Development forum, which I'm super excited for, as I've never done that before! I'll show off a little of the castle a bit later. Thank you all for your supportive comments. It has inspired and helped me greatly. And everyone! Keep up the good work. You're all doing amazing.

2. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @woobv 18,000 words?! Wow, that's like a half-nano. And in like...2 weeks? Wow.
    Really looking forward to your game!

3. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi again everyone!

I've been hidden under a rock for the last few days but read this thread daily and love it! Please keep going all those in doubt - I would love to play all of your games (we are allowed to, right?) at the end. To me, IGMC feels like some kind of strange role playing game in itself where you have to gain experience and reach some kind of level, who knows what! I barely knew how to get past level 1 :p lol.

I feel like I'm making progress but I still clocked my game at 20 minutes yesterday so I'm going through phases of 'Yeaah I'm sure I can pull it together' and 'OH DEAR GOD NOT ENOUGH HOURS!!'

I re did one of the first scenes
    [​IMG]

My sprites are coming along and aren't the same character x 10 zillion
    [​IMG]

And lastly, one of my monster creations, Veggie Chomper!
    [​IMG]

He loves his veg.

4. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    *Sigh* I'm having difficulty getting the Himeworks Actor battle commands plugin to play nice, some of the other plugins also seem to be behaving weird so the damage popup doesn't... Pop up when the player takes damage and there appeared to be a second delayed damage popup on the enemies a few times, my jobs been really emotionally taxing recently and in general work on my game this morning amounted to me discovering one problem after another... ;_;

But maps are done, and eventing the story is proceeding (somewhat) smoothly! I just have to stay positive and do my best not to have a mental breakdown... At least until AFTER Nov 5

Tea's Jams likes this.
  5. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Progress.....none T-T
    I had to drop out, but its been so great seeing everyones work! Good luck everyone!

@Nicola
    That looks so nice! Love the hand drawn vibes going on.

Allan Bays and Tea's Jams like this.
  6. sorabokki

sorabokki Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @watermark - Omg no way! Haha. And my biggest worry is all the typos and poorly formatted sentences. That's the downside of writing so many branches, yikes. @ ~ @ But thanks so much! <3 <3 I'm looking forward to yours as well ^ ^

@Nicola - Oh my goodness! I'm REALLY liking all the sprites and artistic elements you have there. Really enjoy the custom art! ^ ^ Also nursery assistant is adorable. * - *

@TriceratopsX - Don't give up hope!! Sorry to hear about your job and the difficulties you're facing right now. :( But there will always be a solution eventually! :D Just got to think about all the hard work you've already put into your game! It's been impressive so far. c:

@animesock52 - Awww, sad to hear you're dropping, but glad you were able to join us while you working on your entry!! :D

7. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    We just discovered, that our dear protagonist, Edwin, could change his profression into "professional trainsurfer"! ;3
    DearEdwin.png

@animesock52 Oohhh... that's sad to hear. I hope you'll enjoy another project, soon :)
    @woobv Thank you! And yes~there will be more of that small animations! We really enjoy cluttering the maps with that stuff, haha.
    @DragonVine I'm looking forward to those screenshots of you castle!

8. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nicola Digging the custom art and love the color palette you're using.

@TriceratopsX sorry to hear about your work, I am experiencing the same thing and it leaves me void of energy for this project, but just keep trucking on.

9. Nicola

Nicola Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm really sad to hear this :(. I'm not sure what to say. Thank you very much everyone for your lovely comments on my artwork, it encourages me a lot. +1000 str!

Really liking all the screenshots posted. :)

sorabokki, Tea's Jams and Frogboy like this.
  10. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Phew, todays update.

All maps are finally done. The eventing for all the maps is still underway. Some little cosmetic touches to be added when I get the chance. Dialogue is nearly halfway input.

This game is definately going to be over an hour long. But I intend to speed play it to test how short a time you can complete the game, and then fully test it by figthing every battle, crafting every item, collecting every gem, and talking to every NPC to see how long it really is.

I always forget how much work you have to put into these things.

On the plus side my parallax mapping and atmosphere adding Ii've been doing is getting better. I think the game looks good, and I can only hope others will think the story and little systems I've added make the game as great as I think they are.

11. TriceratopsX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @woobv Thanks I'm glad you've liked what I've had to show off thus far! :D But if I've leaned nothing else from this month, I learned that I REALLY need to learn Javascript, because I have NO idea why these confounded plugins don't behave themselves! :dizzy:

@OnslaughtSupply Ugh I hope things get better for you soon as well! :( I just have to force my mood to improve sometimes y'know?

So I'm gonna ignore the problems whith the combat for the next few days (a dangerous idea I know) so that I can focus on the story first (I'd rather finish the story and have to make some concessions with the combat rather then the reverse!)

12. Derk

Derk Sad Machine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! :kaoluv: And 18k words, you're braver than I for attempting that in this time frame.

Issues with combat is how I ended up with survival horror rather than action horror, otl;;

Game update: did a map, hated it, gonna redo it. I'm also probably going to use the Pop Horror tiles for the town areas, but might have to edit them a bit for the setting (plants, it's evil plants).

13. Trivi

Trivi Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finished the end.
    There are now 3 different ends, based on the decisions of the player.
    I hope the 1 hour is enough to reach it.
    I had intended to create 3 different characters, including history. 2 are ready.
    The problems I had with one of the maps, I could fix.
    (The player can do a job there and the environment changes)
    I wanted to create a personalized cover picture, unfortunately my graphics tablet after 15 years broken ....
    I now work with the mouse until it is finished.

What I still want to achieve:
    Finish the cover image
    The character stories
    Edit some maps
    I have some problems with the quests, but I have the night over time and would like to work on it until it works.
    Create a name for the game
    Create the last 5 secondary quests
    Edit and assign the items
    Create the classes (assign weapons, armor, etc.)

As soon as this is done, I have to look for a description, which I have to look out for when I submit the game. (Which DLCs I have used etc. I have no idea what I must write there ...)

I'm really looking forward to testing all games.
    So much effort and attention to detail is incredible :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I try my best to end the Title Screen, but without tablet its a bit annoying...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  14. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last night I managed to pull it back together long enough to make a fog parallax map element for my town. (And regret the late night in the morning.) I'm not thrilled that it's static, but it gets the point across. And this isn't about high polish for me, it's about getting the job done.

Thanks to @Poryg , I've got my dungeon randomization completely written in common events now and called by the intro scene, and all five variants of the first dungeon level are filled with their randomizing events (including one special event that's scripted). There's a couple of tweaks I'd like to make, but I've spent enough time on it for now and it works, so I need to move on to the next unfinished thing. I was able to play enough to know that my balance is indeed off at the moment. (Too difficult.) That should improve somewhat with the addition of the shops.

Yet to do:
    Create 3 shops (incorporate YEP Shop Core if time allows)
    2 shopkeeper dialogues
    Priest interactions
    Rebalance first dungeon level
    Create enemies and troops for levels 2-4
    Create skills (decide whether to keep TP...I'm not a fan of the system)
    Create accessories
    Fill in armor descriptions
    + my wishlist of tweaks and improvements, if time allows...

...Oh no...!
    I won't give up! It ain't over until it's over!
    Keep up the great work, guys, you're all doing awesome!

15. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first two areas and boss battles are complete short of map decorations. Area 3 is about half done and the boss battle is all ready taken care of. It's looking like area 4 will be the final area and with two bosses planned but I haven't gotten started on that yet. Moving along pretty well, though, so far. I'm hoping that I can finish the game by the end of the week and start doing some serious play testing early next week.

16. TriceratopsX

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So despite what I said before, I did end up messing with it tonight... I THINK the problem was just the Himeworks and Yanfly plugins conflicting... I DID manage to butcher together a method that "works" through events and Yanfly's Auto Passive States plugin... It's a bit messy and the state doesn't seem to be applied on the first turn but it'll suffice... Hopefully none of the other Himeworks plugins decide to be... Difficult.

Marquise* and Tea's Jams like this.
  17. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Llareian You're doing me too much honor :wub

18. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Plueschkatze
    I’m loving you’re graphics. I’ve been so busy working on my game that I haven’t been able to do more than skim this page so I’m not 100% sure what your game is about, but I’m looking forward to finding out.

@Lucy Fox
    Those maps look amazing! I’m impressed that you painted them all and am looking forward to playing it as well.

@woobv
    That is a lot of words! I can barely get that much written in a month never mind in the time you’ve had! I’m even more looking forward to your game now!

And @ everyone else,
    I’m sorry I haven’t been commenting on many people individually, but I come on this thread for short breaks between my own game making, and seeing so much progress always inspires me to do more!

This is me wishing everyone luck in the last week and a half. I hope you all finish and have the time for testing and bug fixing (like I’m hoping I will too!)

19. motta

motta Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @woobv Thank you! (yes, my course is very time consumming and has nothing to do with programing, lol).
    And also, yes, i am basing it in various horror games, the game mechanics will be similar to witch's house's, ib's, mad father's and alikes.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  20. Allan Bays

Allan Bays Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I picked up RPG Maker MV in this humble bundle and started making a small game to learn how to use the program and I'm absolutely loving it. I have some experience with Java and C++ as well as clickteam fusion. I am planning on entering this competition with my first game just to see how much I can learn. I am an experienced Dungeon Master and wish to make games that recreate the tabletop D&D experience. I can't wait to learn more and be an active member of this community!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.