Beckx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there,
just stumbled upon this thread and thought, i would join in on the fun! :)
(Working with RPMaker MV)
So, my general goal for this year is to build a playable base-game.
Due to life and stuff it'll be unrealistic (and pretty stressful) to give myself the goal to finish it, so i'm going with the next best thing, lol.
This includes a custom menu + inventory system and i haven't decided wether to use the classic battle system or go a different route. I'm currently tending towards something like shadowrun (or classic pen'n'paper, really), which would mean to create something new from scratch, too.
(I'm a webdev in RL though, so at least i already know JS, lol)
And i want to make it easily expandable, so that i'd - ideally - "only" have to add maps + dialog next year.

Currently i'm trying to figure out where i want to go optics-wise and revamping what i had so far, because i'll definitely go bigger than the classic 48x48px, since i'm simply not able to bring the feeling and atmosphere across with that.
But that also influences how i'm going to setup the other stuff, so it'll have to go first :)
So, next goals:
  • finish main char walk sprite (i might still switch to more anim frames, not sure yet)
  • adjust forest A1 + A2 tilesets to fit new style
  • work on forest object tiles
  • (at least placeholder) character image for dialog
Progress so far:

comparison to old style:

nekwp3r.png

current WIP of objects:

E61ymswXsAcFZil

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sad news today. Due to professional fallout regarding a number of (unintentionally-constructed) comments made in public discourse (which were taken out of the intended context) I am fearful that I have done something that may have put my name, game and branding in a very precarious place from which I am not sure if I'll be able to recover because of what happened, none of which reflects who I actually am. Because of this (and due to the nature of what was said) I have no choice but to step away from game development for the foreseeable future. I don't know if and when I will return (if at all) but I wanted to say that I am sorry for anything that may come from this and that I'm truly sorry for allowing such a thing to happen. This in no way is in relation to the RPG Maker community itself as the incident occurred in an entirely separate forum, but owing to the circumstance of what was said, what the actual intentions were and what was actually perceived I feel that this is the best and only course of action that I can take right now.

I have disabled the website for my project and am considering my next steps regarding contingency planning for what to do from here; but due to the circumstance and the matter that was in play with the conversation in question, there will be no further comment on my situation at the present time. I wish you all the best.

EDIT: Despite what has occurred I have not canceled my project, so I will still maintain my web domains, accept contributions and input, and maybe fill a few roles in the event that work restarts. And there are some things that I would like to test out that are not specifically connected to my project but which may benefit the community as a whole. I am still hopeful that I can proceed when I am confident that I can do so without further incident, but at the present time I just don't know what to make of what went wrong.

Last edited:

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone,

My main goal is to push on testing through my game... again. I can imagine many of you have been in the same situation where you find it difficult to test your game because you've done it so many time over the course of its creation.

It's mainly because I want to do one complete playthrough on my own before involving other people to remove any big roadblocks.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I decided to be sensible, change my goals slightly and not leave all the enemy creation until I'd finished the maps, as doing the lot in one go would sap motivation hugely.

For those who don't know much about Ace, there are only a tiny number of SV battlers, and few of those are for enemies, so I have to try and use MV/MZ enemies. BUT they are monstrously big for Ace, so the first job is to resize without losing detail. Then MV/MZ has 3 frames of animation, while Ace has 4, so I've got to make the fourth. Ace has 3 poses that MV/MZ lack, so they have to be constructed - all in a sprite sheet with a completely different format. Nightmare. Lots of work. You can see how it might become a slog. As it is, I'm not sure that the golem works with the others. It would never be in a troop with them, but the player might still think it looks out of place.

@slimmmeiske2 I've thrown 4 of them into a pretend troop so that you can see how sprites work against the sort of battleback that I was talking about. I've got them so that in terms of colour they fit in with the autumnal forest.

screenie.png

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes the Golem doesn't look out of place to me, rather the succubus(?) Has that for me. Prolly cause of th colors and the face

Reactions: Kes

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes : I think they're fine myself. Nice facesets too! Who is doing them for you this time?

Weekly update:

Well I'm still in placeholder city, which has resulted in some hilarious things like this:

Placeholder_HUD.png
No I'm honestly not making a dating sim.

As for actual progress, the intro and first town have been mapped for Montagor's Legacy. You can play through the first 3 - 4 minutes of the game. Everything else is placeholder city still though, but I'm working on the icon set now as I got plenty of icons due to some itch bundles so going through those. Also going through my music DLCs to see what I can use for placeholder (or even final) musics.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kes That battleback is beautiful. I'm loving the faces too. The golem does slightly stand out to me, not because of its height, but because it has a slightly different coloring style than the others. I don't think it's noticable to most though, so you should be fine :D

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@slimmmeiske2 Thank you. I'm pleased with that battleback.

@Finnuval I've adjusted the colour of the sprite (she's a minor demon rather than a succubus) and think she blends in better now. What do you think?
screenie 2.png

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes yeah that's better. Wings are still a little too Bright imo but she blends in much better.

she's a minor demon rather than a succubus)
I stand corrected xD

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I made my decision on the future of my project. Due to circumstances I am in fact going to cancel the project, at least where MV and MZ are concerned. As my requirements for Xbox are changing with the latest guidelines I am essentially being forced to move away from my current MV-based code in favor of Unity. So essentially this will be my last post aside from any testing I may do for the community as a whole.

Obviously in light of the requirements I am going to have to redo a lot of my assets and soundtrack to remove any leftover stuff from MV and MZ but I think that once I get this done I will be much better off and more future proof as well. I will miss keeping you all updated on my work, but I believe that this is the best decision I can make to keep my project within the guidelines that I have to work with. I wish you all the best, and happy RPG making to all of you.

As a side note, this is only for the current project. In the event that Xbox is enabled for Chromium using the updated version of Edge then I may return for testing that out. But in order to keep my current project on track I am making the change so that I don't get left behind.

Beckx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I didn't fulfill all my goals, but i did make progress :)
I've decided to go the route with more than the three animation frames, but i'm not sure about the plugin yet, so i'll postpone finishing any walk sprites for now.

As I'm going to need to customize a whole bunch of windows & menus to fit the look that i want, i started with something easy: the message window.
So currently I'm working on a small quality of life plugin, which changes the size + position of the three types (i probably won't have that many top text messages, so i plan to use that drop down menu to change general appearance of the window n stuff).
For the Bust i'm currently using Galv's Message Bust plugin, so at least there are no conflicts so far, lol :D

Next goals
  • Finish up the plugin:
    • customizable x, y, width, height for all positions ( + general default value)
      -> add parameters & handle invalid input (!)
    • add options to adjust subwindow position
  • Build another QoL plugin to easily adjust x & y position of Galv's Busts
    (needed to properly work with position changes of types (top, middle, bottom), because it sometimes draws the bust as a child of the window or not, based if the bust is behind/above or before the message window)
As I'm still fiddling around the general game resolution, being able to easily adjust the px values is a must have for me right now.
Don't want to skim all the places in the code that were changed, just because i added 100px window width :D

And a little progress:
Bildschirmfoto von 2021-07-27 21-40-10.png

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My June goals have been a little delayed, that's why I posted nothing in July. My demo have been released later than I expected but I'm very proud of the result.
Anyway, time for some update.

Goals for 2021 :
- unchanged, finishing chapter 1 and 2 of Relics' Legacy

Goals in August :
- finish the mapping of chapter 1 (3 caves, 2 forests, 1 village, 1 dungeon/temple with puzzles). It's a little ambitious but well... we'll see
- doing some fixes on 1 town map
- fixing a few bugs in my demo

I hope I'll be able to do as much as I want.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Alright, break time is over. Time to get to work again.

Goals for the coming days:
* Work on a game for the Harold jam.
* Play more entries of the Touch the Stars jam. I've already played 11 of them, but I definitely need to play more. Especially the entries of people who played mine and gave feedback on it.
* Make a thread here for my entry.

Today's goal:
* Write out the general plot and gameplay of my Harold jam game. So far I've got a title and a small synopsis.
* Play Bookmarked (Touch the Stars entry).

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a new month again, so time to recap and set new goals.

So, result of my plans for July:
Define encounters for chapter 1: 50%
Rework of conversations for chapter 1: 25%

Basically I missed all of my goals :kaosigh: but that is acceptable as I stumbled upon a few things I found bothering so priorities have changed during July.

Targets for August:
- Complete rework of Forest based maps in all chapters
- Integrate new bust in chapter 0
- Complete encounters for chapter 1

I hope I won't feel the urge of another core graphics rework for any map type...but who knows. :kaoswt2:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@slimmmeiske2 So you're going for the next game jam! I admire the enthusiasm you bring to it.

@ElCheffe I think having the flexibility to change priorities can often be the the way forward. No point sticking to a plan just because it's a plan. It's knowing when it's helpful and when it's just procrastination/displacement because you want to avoid doing something that makes the difference.

My update:
I have managed to do all my maps for my forest apart from the final one. I have also done all the enemy sprites and begun work on their skills and stats, so I'm slightly ahead of myself. So I'm saying that my goals for the second half of July have been met.

New goals:
August (hopefully only the first half, but it might spill over into the second half)
Finish stats and skills and test, test, test.
Sort out loot to find (items and gear)
Do a big cutscene with a number of battles in it. A lot of choreography required.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Weekly update:
-Shipwrecked now is about 75% done. You can play it through the desert sequence. From there the game has about an hour left. I need to polish a few things here and there though on the parts leading up to it.
-Montagor's Legacy I've been experimenting with styles and map sets. No real major progress outside of having axed a few ideas as not practical to implement.

August Goals:
School's about to start so life is about to get busy again. Here's the goals for August:

Shipwrecked:
-Get to full Beta status. That means finishing up this last hour or so of playtime and making it so you can win the game.

Montagor's Legacy:
-Decide on the first few starting skills for everyone with the changed system.
-See if I can figure out what I want to do with subclasses this time. I alluded to multi-classes in my last game but never implemented it or allowed it as a choice. Pondering ideas for that now.
-Tweak storyline in word doc as needed.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlaireBear1