bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We got some good goals there! Now that 2021 has started for everyone in the world now, let's start work on those January Goals.

@Seacliff: If it makes you feel better I've been there with the plot for my next game for a year now. RL obligations and such have really slowed down working on it.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finish freaking anything, EVER. Specifically one of the two games I'm currently working on, MDC and Spirit of '76.
At least I "finished" 2 things. One ended up being taken off the forum to be revamped (It's getting close to release again!) and the other is a super short game (more like a cutscene) for the One Map Challenge.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
2021 Overall Goal:
Be able to produce an alpha of the game project I have in mind, I have a tendency to go overboard. Along with that I also hope to become a regular and interact more with the forums as I slowly learn the ropes of RPG Maker again, hoping to help fellow beginners, or returnees ascend to level 2 in our quest for succession!

January Goal:
The main thing I hope to get done with in January is the documentation. Get the chore and core of the game out of the way, as it keeps tracks of the most essential parts of the project. Following that I hope to have the main cast that appears in the beginning ready along with a few town prototypes (assuming I might not finish it up in January)

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I managed to start developing a game at the start of January. My goal for this month is to have set up a decent 'frame' of the game to show what it is all about, where it will be heading and preview the whole idea here. And to actually think over to ask someone to team up with me on it.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I finally posted my Battle Castle to-do list, after a delay or two. It's large, so it's going to be quite awhile before any updated demo comes out.

sb~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for this post. One problem I have is that I've been working on and off my game for the past few years. This year I really want to hit approx. 75% completion of my story (currently I'm about 50%... maybe a little shy).

To achieve this my short term goal is simply to open RPG Maker once per day. Even if I don't complete anything that day, I'll force myself to keep my project fresh in my mind rather than letting months go by where I don't even think about it.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Overall goal : to get as close to completing the overhaul of Cat Quest : The Last Catmancer (a nice little game by @Ragpuppy87 im helping in remaking). Hoping to at least be 60% done by the end of the year.

Secondary goal : to do some more work on my own game 'M' and get some money set aside for the help I will def. Need witth that one xD

Actually we Just finished rewriting the entire story to be even more fleshed out and have better pace and flow so *yay* we have a final draft :)

Goals for january :
Get some battlers done (1 completed so far)
Get the groundworks for the first dungeon sorted out.
Hopefully have another piece of related artwork done.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been slowly updating my demo to the new battle system (which is 100% complete) and then I had to completely revamp my feat menu. I have 12 common events, and each of these have conditional branches of 20 feats. Then I have to add new choice box alignment sections for each feat, rename certain sections, and add pictures to each feat. This will take a good chunk of busy work to finish.

For those awaiting my demo to return, it's coming along, but will probably be another week or two (probably two).

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@sb~ Relatable. I've been going through a similar on/off working relationship with my game. Here's hoping we both can keep with our goals :)

I'm trying to stick to working on my game at least once during the week and once during the weekend. (So twice a week I guess xD)
As for my progress: I started editing the forest tileset I'm using and fixed some mapping issues last weekend.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I didn't finish the Wukong scenario yet.. but the center of my lore gave me a very unexpected idea for a serious plot twist. Since half of the group of heroes in my tale come from our world, I decided to really go wild with it and throw all four of them into the middle of an actual rural community following a very unexpected event that sees them sent across existence and back our way. I'm not going to spoil the whole of it of course, but I will say that it's in Iowa... and that there's a burger joke thrown in. (And yes, the realization does in fact reference Field of Dreams.)

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good news, I brainstormed some things that will make one of my upcoming demos way better than it used to be. Bad news, it's been delayed longer.

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My January goals:
- Release the voiced version of "Maze For You". I have all but one voice batch received. I was informed by said VA that lines may come a bit late, which is fine. Even if the voiced update is released next month, I can still at least finish cutting and applying all the batches I have now.
- Get the beta for "The Cursed Tower" out to my teammates and volunteer beta-testers.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Hullo news from high contrasty luck me.

So get my lab back and running
YAY I've found a retrolighting for my animation table from those now very efficient AAA batteries operated camping LED light lamp that might blind me since technology seems to had beaten up old neons. ^^

got some box sorted out

made some progress in my digital/traditional art and here what I can/will share but no re-use guys it is for someone else.
In-townBG night.png
In-townBGDaySky.png

Defeat my fears: working on it... kinda
take upon new challenges: I have to free time for it
care of my aging kitty guardians: yeah all the time but not enough. Still stopped with DC tooth because it kinda was to the point she hid from me. Nothing to do with the rotten tooth. :S

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's my turn now! (Sometimes I think people that follows my work already must be scared every time I post here because I always give a HUGE update about my work... But thank you everyone that takes your time and read it and talk about it with me!)

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I know it's kind late but it's a long time since I don't do a huge post in this Forum (since Dec 23,2020), so now it's the time of my huge update! Last year was great for me as a Game Dev, but so bad for my personal life... But 2021 it's going to be better and I will move to Thailand! :stickytongue:

And now I will be giving you a flashback moment about my goals to finish 2020, so let's go!

GABRIEL DIAS GOALS TO FINISH 2020:
  • Get a job (fulltime or part-time) in Games to move and work only on games.
  • Get 1000 views on my YouTube channel at least.
  • Get 2000 views on my itch.io page and games at least.
  • Get 150 followers on my Twitter account at least.
And what I accomplished?

NOTHING!
No, just kidding!
  • Get a job (fulltime or part-time) in Games to move and work only on games. - Almost Yes! (It's not a salary but yes, I am working at least and I put my portfolio and resume in a lot of Game Companies, especially in Thailand, because I want to live there for a long time...)
  • Get 1000 views on my YouTube channel at least. - Yes! And right now, I have 1200 views!
  • Get 2000 views on my itch.io page and games at least. - No, but a little after 2020 finished I got the 2000 views and I am still happy! Right now I have 2051 views!
  • Get 150 followers on my Twitter account at least. - No, but like my itch.io page after 2020 finished I got the 150 followers!
I want to say thank you to everyone that helped me achieve my goals, because basically I did everything! So, this year I am working on Phil Alone a lot, and I know I need to do a little Pitch to send to Game Publishers about my game projects but I still don't know how to a good pitch, I watched a lot of YouTube videos that explain things, but I keep getting "scared" because it's my first time doing this.

But, let's go to the goals of January!
  • Finish the Pitch of 3 games I am working on! (Yes, it's a lot...)
  • Translate Phil Alone to other languages!
  • Translate Luke Inn to Portuguese!
  • Edit 2 videos of Brazilian Games!
  • Promote my game content (Twitter and YouTube)
So now I will explain why these are my goals to January!

1) Finish the Pitch of 3 games I am working on! (Yes, it's a lot...)

So, right now I am working on 3 games: Phil Alone, Luke Inn and another that doesn't have a name yet...

Luke Inn is the project that I most wanted to work in 2019 and 2020, because it was when I decided to go back to RPG Maker and do something focused on story. Luke Inn is a game that I want to find a good publisher or a indie fund to give me time to work on the story to show the development of the characters in a great way but still giving a lot of things for the player to do with good graphics. I already have a budget that I want for this game to get out of the paper and I hope I can get it doing the pitch in a good way. For you that doesn't know the game I will post the link to the itch.io page here!

Click here to play Luke Inn!

Luke Inn - Demo Trailer:

Phil Alone is my little dark project that I decided to do it on Ludum Dare, a game jam, and it was received with a good acceptance for a game with a dark theme... It's funny because the whole game is made with pixel art basically, so seeing a theme involving things really dark with a cute graphic is interesting for a lot of players because they don't expect that! The game received so much love since the day I published on itch.io that I decided to work more on it and because the game had not so much text, I decided that the best thing was to translate to other languages so the game is in basically 5 languages today and it will keep adding up! Maybe this will make the publishers look different to the game in a good way. I am trying to find a publisher for this game that's focused of games of puzzle / horror so there would be a audience for that, because I know this kind of game is really focused on the niche...

Click here to play Phil Alone!

The other game I am working is a "secret" project that I can't tell you guys about it because it involves another company, so it's not just me and I need to finish it pitch to send it and see if it's approved. Let's hope for the best!

2) Translate Phil Alone to other languages!

So, like I said before: Phil Alone is one of the games that most people enjoyed playing. I still want to see this game coming to Steam someday but it a new version of it or a Phil Alone 2, but that's going to depend on a lot of factors! But for now, what can I do? Translate this game to other languages and promote it a lot!

3506e.gif

3) Translate Luke Inn to Portuguese!

"Gabriel, your native language is Portuguese, why didn't you translated already?!"
So, here is the answer! Luke Inn is a game focused on story, and when I say story... IT'S A LOT OF TEXT! Only the demo version have at least 1 hour of gameplay and because it's a game focused on puzzles and social development, it's really hard to translate this game. One mistake that I made was: Not putting all the sentences in a Excel or Word document and that's the problem because now it's a lot of sentences and I need to do it one by one... I think I will need at least 1 whole week to translate the game if I work non-stop on this, so I really need to focus to make this happen! I decided to do it in English first because English is like the "main" language in games so a lot of people could see the final result, and that's what I want, but I found out that a lot of people from my country couldn't enjoy the game because it wasn't translated... But that's life and I will bring Luke Inn to these people because they deserve to see this story!

SCREENSHOT REMAKE 2.png
4) Edit 2 videos of Brazilian Games!

One of the things most people don't know is: I believe that Karma is real, so do good for others and this will bring you good things! October 2020 I decided to show everyday 1 game that was made by Brazilians, and this resulted in 2 things: Marketing for those games and I realize how much my country improved on making games! The video is divided in 3 parts, I released part 1 in December and now I have to release part 2 and 3! If you guys want to check it out, here is the video of the first part:

5) Promote my game content (Twitter and YouTube)

So, I stopped for a time to post content, I still need to make this a habit but I stopped doing this on my personal Instagram too since Covid-19, but right now I want to do a come back and restart doing my things. It's funny but it's a good way to promote content and knowledge between people. By the way, thank you everyone that is following my Twitter page and my YouTube channel! (I don't put my Instagram page here because there is nothing professional there, just my workout routine and life style being a geek guy that likes to go to the gym)

That's it guys!

So everyone, thank you for reading all this and let's make this month a good month and a great year!

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Major news to report. After several months of waiting since I paid my dues, I have now been fully approved by my certification authority to have the capability to sign off on my game installers prior to upload. Or in other words, there's no further concern of unknown source reports - a major security upgrade for my project. What this means is that if anyone downloads my games or apps they'll now see my name as the verified witness to certification (unless they have a complete fake, of course) plus there's no further issue with regard to user account controls.

Last edited:

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopefully this is enough time between updates (and not necessarily related to my project as I haven't decided on actually using it) but I managed to come up with a decent "broken pieces" boss. What I mean is that the boss splits into pieces with a flash of light, and then proceeds to move to the other side of the room by one piece at a time before another flash reforms the boss. On top of that, reducing the boss to a certain amount of HP while in combat also triggers a boss split and therefore ending the battle sequence until the boss reforms itself and you engage combat again. And to complicate matters further, you only have a second and a half to start a combat sequence before the next piece split.

Now for some very specific reasons I am not sure about the legal matter in a paid project, but I hope that by using an alternate name that I can make it work if I do end up using it. EDIT: I'm clear.

Last edited:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My demo is now back on the forum and I also have made an Itch.io page! It only took a month of on and off working on it.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I ended up mostly being away from working on my project, but this afternoon I got a major creative spark and decided to rewrite the false guidance mission with a more "over the top" overpowering of the guards in the dialogue to make it play out like a madcap game of Who's on First? rather than some generic convincing argument.

EDIT: Here's the entire sequence in question:

Last edited:

Astrina

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Goals for 2021: exploring the possibilities of rpg maker mv and plug-ins.
Creating a mvp and try to get some feedback.
So, January is over but I already discovered some really helpful plug-ins.
Goal for February is finding out, how to display html in the textbox

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello all! January ends today (or has ended already depending on your time zone), so let's look back on our January goals and progress, and post our goals for February:

January look-back:
-Got The Book of Shadows on Steam and released there.
-Sadly no progress occurred on Shipwrecked as between that and some RL work stuff that was my month.

February Goals:
-None. Sadly work is too busy this month and my free time will be used recording videos for my all online classes. Hopefully I can finish it for one of the classes this month so I can get some time back to game dev for March. We'll see.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I once thought about a boss gauntled game. I actually did it.
Stream will be live shortly with some Gex 3! Feel free to drop by!
Snippet from a game I'm working on. Not much happening here. Mostly look at atmosphere. May upload a longer version. Still need to make up some enemy arts.
Been slightly struggling with developing the latest chapter, I think I will downscale my ambitions and make it more linear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emythystvial