JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New month, new update.

As I was able to complete my targets for June I'm now able to focus on the next topics:

- Bug fixing for chapter 0 based on my wife's playtesting :kaoswt2:

Begin adjustments and finetuning for chapter 1, more specific:
- Define encounters for all maps of chapter 1
- Rework all conversation to fit the new style i adopted for chapter 0

It may not sound much but I believe this will keep me busy for the whole month if not even longer.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bug fixing for chapter 0 ...
It may not sound much but I believe this will keep me busy for the whole month if not even longer.
That item alone could achieve that, let alone the other stuff. You know what they say, "Find a bug, fix it, create 3 more".
Good luck with it, and nice that you met your goals.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
(I didn't even notice it was July already when I last posted ...)
Good luck with your goals @ElCheffe!

More updates on the jam progress:
- I did finish the Magical outfits this Friday (yay!) and have spend this weekend making some of the other characters that appear in the first chapter:
Progress.png
From left to right: Leo, Aquarius, Lucretia, Ursa, and two unnamed characters yet
- I almost finished writing chapter 1 this Friday. I was on the very last scene, when work got super busy. Since story is about the only thing I can work on during work, I haven't continued it this weekend.
- I made some faces for Leo and Aquarius:
progressface.png
Not sure if I'm going to actually go with faces yet, since I would have to make more for the other characters.
- I started mapping. They're still very raw and I definitely need to not only edit the map, but also the tiles. So far I've finished the intro map, a classroom, a dorm room and a hallway.

I'm definitely starting to feel that I'm not doing enough. :kaoswt:

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Currently working hard on my gamejam entry hoping i finish in time... :kaoswt:

Got a lot of the artwork done, about 80% of the maps parallaxed, some of the mechanics implemented (tho very basic and dumb down a lot!). Got several custom music tracks and some custom sprites made for me aswell and about finished with the intro, story set-up and tutorial...

Now to get the actual gameplay smooth and paced :kaoswt2:

Feeling the crunch tho...
My main concern is the length of the game... Just hoping its gonna be enough.

And watching some of the posts here for the jam are both inspiring and disheartening :kaoswt2:

Talking to you @Amysaurus and @slimmmeiske2 :kaodes:

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@slimmmeiske2 Everything is looking adorable so far!

@Finnuval Oh heck, I certainly hope it's not disheartening! I'm looking forward to see what everyone comes up with by the end of the jam!

I'm still chugging along with graphics - I'm hoping to have the character sprites pretty much done by tomorrow. After that, all I really have to focus on is making the rest of the map pieces and any extra bits!

I don't have a lot to show, but here's a look at another sprite I've been working on ^^

2jYVqPU.gif

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, after some experimentation and verifications I have the multiplayer functions locked up and decided on, plus I managed to determine what was happening with older systems. Turns out that the MV build of the multiplayer runtimes isn't properly optimized yet, so as a workaround I created a second project in MZ to handle the online functionality and put that in the package rather than adding it as separate maps. Besides, I have a paid release plan to contend with so I already have to separate the multiplayer from the base game so that unpaid access is blocked off if there's no gold pass on the account (much less a whole freakin' game pass). But either way, cross-gen is officially back on.

My only complaint is that there's a major visual difference between the main game and the multiplayer component due to the fact that I'm using an engine switch to separate the two modes (not to mention that MZ's font loading doesn't work in my Xbox implementation so I had to mod it out just to even load the MZ bits) so obviously it's not a perfect solution. But for lack of a better option it's what I have to work with for now.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So quick update : on the gamejam entry,
got the tutorial and story set-up (including all cutscenes for it) pretty much done. Gamemechanics have been simplified and should be easier to implement now. Artwork is 80% done. Music is at 70% completed. Spritework (as far as i have that custom) is all done in principle.
Mapping is at 75% aswell.
As for story, that's about 60% implemented.

Still almost 2 weeks left so im actually confident ill make it in time :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Finnuval You're a lot further along than I am, don't worry. I'm not even halfway done :(
@Amysaurus Aww, squid lady is cute. Very curious to see what the game is about.

Update on my game jam game:
- Mapped the layout of the big outside map. Always funny to see how I started from 50x50 and then immediately started making it more compact xD Regardless there's still a lot of stuff to edit on this map, starting with the actual tiles I used.
- Started eventing the cutscenes yesterday. I finished the bare bones of the intro (both part 1 and 2) and the start of the classroom scene. I also want to say that I'm an idiot and decided I needed to move about 25 events at the same time as the students move to their seats.
- Right after posting my last update, I finished two more important sprites. Now that only leaves some shadow sprites and then it's time to start generating student NPCs to fill up the maps.
- I've officially finished writing chapter 1 and have moved on to chapter 2.
- Finally decided on a title and am workshopping a logo/title screen.

Here's what I'm hoping to do today:
- Logo + Title screen
- Continue writing chapter 2
- Find the SE I need for my cutscenes
- Finish adding the classroom cutscene

As an aside, I can feel myself slipping in this "oh, there's still so much time"-state whenever I have time to work on my entry, so hopefully I can shake it off.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're a lot further along than I am, don't worry. I'm not even halfway done
am I? well im sure something unforseen will pop up and halt my progress tho...
Besides you have a little more experience then me with these jam things so I'm still worried xD

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Minor progress update. After looking into several ideas to get the proper font loaded in MZ in my implementation (since I unfortunately can't use the built-in method) I ultimately added the MV definition to the MZ CSS and referenced it from PIXI.JS instead. It is not a perfect solution, however: by default it's still not read properly unless you interact with the interface enough to where the text is redrawn. Loading the menu after displaying a map using pre-title events provided a workaround for this annoyance, but it's still better than nothing.

All I have left to do now is to actually build out the multiplayer systems. (Also, I'm experimenting with an MZ port of the main game using these changes and will report with a final decision on whether or not I will upgrade the project.)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
am I? well im sure something unforseen will pop up and halt my progress tho...
Besides you have a little more experience then me with these jam things so I'm still worried xD
Yeah, most definitely. I have a whopping 0% music done. (I'm not going to go for custom music, but I haven't decided which tracks to use yet. I feel like I have simultaneously way too much music DLC and not enough.)
Also here's my two tips that I've learned from my DQed entries from previous jams: don't mess with the fonts and don't fix minor bugs if the rest of the game works, but if you do always check if the game is still playable after said bugfixing.
Well in this instance insomnia does help i guess xD
That explains why I've seen you post at 4 AM. xD Can't relate, I need my sleep.

@Finnuval and @slimmmeiske2 I'm impressed with the progress you both have made. I wish I could work that fast.
Thanks, but it's not that impressive, since you know you have to skip a lot of the extra polish or you won't be done. (At least, that's how it is in my case, since I'm going solo.)
My tempo on non-jam games is definitely that of a snail. :aswt:

Update time!
- I finished writing the first cutscene (an exposition scene) of Chapter 2. Only to realize when rereading that I'm telling way too much, so I had to rewrite it, which unfortunately made me get rid of a character moment, but hopefully I can include it somewhere else down the line. And hey, the gameplay following it will be more interesting now.
- I did a quick logo in Paint (since that's the only thing available on my work computer) and tried to remake it in Gimp last night. I'm not too happy with the logo itself yet, but for now it will have to suffice.
- I am happy with the title screen though :) Spoilered below.
1625737462397.pngStill need to find a way to get the New Game etc. to look good
- I made a checklist of the SE I need for the cutscenes so far and it's 12 in total. It then took me 2 hours to find 8 of them. Next time there's a big Humble Bundle sale with SE, I definitely need to buy some :( (And then I had to stop looking as I felt sick for a few hours.)

Daily goals for today:
- Finish the classroom cutscene as well as the next one.
- Find the remaining SE I need.
- Start generating students and adding them to the cutscenes where needed.
- Continue writing Chapter 2.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That explains why I've seen you post at 4 AM. xD C
Yup you can find me all hours of the Day Just lurking around xD

So update on the gamejam :
Almost at the stage where i can have my playtesters wreck my good mood and confidence *yay*

Seriously ahead of schedule tho at the moment :D

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@slimmmeiske2 I like your title screen. If I could make a small suggestion, though, about it. Your image shows that the New Game etc section is a few pixels to the left of where it should be if you want it to be central. That makes it look a little unbalanced. You can see this if you compare the amount of the box which is 'outside' the image of the moon on each side.
1625826222324.png

Seriously ahead of schedule tho at the moment
Nice!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Finnuval Oh wow, that's amazing. (The schedule thing, not the insomnia :p) Good luck with the testing phase. :)
@Kes Yeah, that still needs to be improved. Though I was thinking of looking how to change the width of the selection screen so, it wouldn't go out of bounds at all. Or maybe I should just change it to a square for my sanity. Glad you like the screen :D

Daily update time!
- I finished writing Chapter 2. I'm honestly pretty surprised at this, as writing progress has been a lot slower lately. I guess yesterday was just a good writing day.
- While writing chapter 2, it got me thinking of the gameplay of chapter 1 (exploration->chase sequence->minigame) and I realized there wasn't a whole lot to it. (To be honest, I'd realized that earlier, I just wasn't sure what to change until yesterday.) So I've changed the chase sequences to a sequence of three puzzles and the exploration will be timed based.
- Started generating some of the students. Still some to go.
- Finished eventing the classroom cutscene as well as the next one and a big chunk of the one after that.
- Made one new map for the cutscene above.
- Found like a couple more SEs, but at the same time discovered I needed a few more that I forgot to list. :kaosigh: However...
Next time there's a big Humble Bundle sale with SE, I definitely need to buy some :(
It seems they have read my post and decided to give me what I want xD In other words, there's a Sound Effects bundle available right now! I'm gonna jump on that as soon as I'm home.

Goals for today:
- More students!
- Find those SEs with the power of Humble Bundle.
- Ignore the cat on my lap.
- Map the puzzle areas and event.
- Event the last two cutscenes of Chapter 1.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Weekly update for first week of July:
-Finished writing up the plot for Montagor's Legacy. We have a draft now!
-Finished up a cutscene in Shipwrecked. The beta is about 60% done now.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinthurres