Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
- All of the characters are sprited, so now I'm just waiting to hear about any extra behavior animations I'll need to make.
- All of the maps have been outlined, so now I'm working on making them pretty! Here's an example:

Reference sketch:
fulT9qp.png

Map (in progress):
IFS6gLv.png

Last edited:

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Amysaurus Nice! Looking good (per usual).

On my front: Just got 2nd playtester feedback and only very few bugs found so far (like 4-5) that are easy to fix do things are looking good :D

So yeah, pretty confident were actually gonna make this in time xD

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Amysaurus As I've mentioned elsewhere, that looks amazing. :D
@Finnuval Wow, congrats! Now please send your thoughts and prayers to us poor souls still working on our submissions :p

Update time:
- I made more students (24 in total). Hopefully that's enough.
- Mapped the villain's lair, the three puzzle areas and remapped the hallways.
- Evented the puzzles.
- Finished adding the last cutscenes from Chapter 1.
- Made emotions for the facesets I already made.

Goals for today:
- Make facesets for the other characters.
- Polish my outdoor map.
- Start editing some of the tiles.
- Add dialogue for NPCs.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, congrats! Now please send your thoughts and prayers to us poor souls still working on our submissions
Haha well im not done yet. Still need to implement the story ending and some overall polish.
But my best wishes are with all competitors since the start. Lets make this a though gamejam to win do we can all say we made great games :)

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been continuing the story for Collector and working on various other things. The most recent is a working gashapon vending machine with a corresponding prize token exchange system (similar to the prize token loophole for pachinko parlors). Not surprisingly, this system is run by the Yakuza. You can lose a fair amount of money, or win big!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Finnuval Oh, I know. Just happy you've gotten to that point :)

Daily update time:
- Made facesets for everyone who has a line in cutscenes. (I'll show them later, forgot to save them to the Trello board to show off.)
- Made several changes to my outdoor map. It looks so much better now, though there's still some polish needed.
- Edited some tile(set)s.
- Added dialogue for all 27 students in the classroom.
- I was listening to some Music DLC and found a BGM for the title screen, as well as one for the puzzle areas.

Goals for today:
- Finish the outdoor map.
- Make the last few indoor maps.
- Search for more music.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@slimmmeiske2 I noticed the reference to Trello. I've often wondered if it actually helps the work flow or if it's just one more thing to keep updated. If (and only if) you have the time, I'd be interested to know what benefits you think it's given you.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kes Oh, sure no problem. So I use Trello both for setting goals, as well as actual world building and project management. The latter is actually my prefered way of using it and where (at least for me) its strengths lies.

The two major selling points Trello has are availability and overview.
1. I can access Trello everywhere, I just need access to internet. So if I'm at work, or commuting to work, or at a party or in the waiting room, etc. and I get an idea, I can actually write it down in one of my Trello boards immediately. I don't have to walk around with sticky notes or notepads that get lost or torn in my bag anymore.
2. Prior to using Trello, I had about 20 different word documents and excels. I tried at some point to add it all in one document, but that actually made me lose my overview even more. By setting up a board for world building on Trello, I've been able to make connections in my story that I didn't see before.

There's lots of nice things that I didn't mention, like setting Due Dates (and setting mail notifications on for those), checklists, adding attachments to your "cards" (this is how Trello calls them, but you can compare them to sticky notes), being able to add comments to these cards, etc. And obviously you can add team members to these boards and assign tasks to them. They did recently change a few things and I'm still not up-to-date to all the changes. (They added Workspaces and they changed how many boards one workspace can have for the free version.)

If there's anything in particular you want to know more about it, let me know. I can show you some pictures if you want :)

Update time:
- Starting actually testing out cutscenes and fixed some bugs in them. There's still a lot of polish needed in some of them, but the first few bugs are officially squashed!
- Polished the outdoor map. I'm calling it quits on that one. There's still things that could be massively improved, but I think it's decent enough for now. It was a bit of challenge to map something that wasn't medieval fantasy for a change.
- Had no luck finding music that fit.
I had a bit of an offday, so I didn't do everything I needed to.

Goals for today:
- Make the last few indoor maps.
- Search for more music.
- Test.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kes I can only recommend it. :) I find it specially handy if you have a series of games taking place in the same universe.

Update for the jam time:

- Finished those last interior maps. Technically one of them is a lot of bigger with more rooms, but those aren't important to the story, so I'm not mapping those for the jam.
- Edited another interior map to at least resemble the outdoors.
- Tested a little bit.

Goals for today:
- Test
- Finish the graphics for the puzzles.
- Add NPCs in the other areas.

My brain is also trying to convince me to do another entry. Why, brain? I'm still not 100% sure I'll be able to finish this one. Dx

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My update
  • Finished my town, external and all internal maps
  • Shops & inn completed
  • Cut scene to move the plot along done
  • NPCs given their dialogues
There might be a bit of tweaking/polishing to do, but I think I can now regard that town as complete.

Next goal
  • Find/edit/make tiles for the next dungeon. This will probably also involve making a new forest auto tile for the world map as I think I'm going for a more autumnal feel. I hate making auto tiles. I spend hours trying to get them right.
  • Make a new battleback. I love artbreeder, but trying to bend it to my will can be challenging at times.
  • Try and remember which music folder (everything's in a folder per composer) has the track I intended using for this, but which I forgot to make a note of.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys!
I just found this thread and realized it might be helpful in me keeping track of my progress in the last stretch of the jam. I had a couple of bad days where I lost time, so I'm doing my best to get all the necessary parts done ASAP. (if it's ok I might post everyday until it's over)

Yesterday's progress:
  • Got help with coming up with and finished implementing skills
  • Finished all on-map skills
Today's goals:
  • Finish planning cutscenes, story flow, and maps
  • Create bases for all maps (start detailing if possible)
  • Start working on cutscenes
Overall goal:
  • Get game done and submitted on time!

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure if i would really call a goal. I recently got RMMZ and started getting back into things. Migrated a few of my plugins to MZ, but more for practice, i probably won't have the time to build a larger collection and maintain all of them.

Anyway, back to topic: I've been playing board games for a while and got a bit more into tabletops recently and thought how cool it would be to put, say, the DnD 5e ruleset into a game. Shouldn't be too hard, but it wouldn't really be the same without dice, which is why i'm currently trying to do this here in RMMZ: http://a.teall.info/dice/

I'm not rendering anything, yet, but the general simulation seems to work and produces numbers after a while. Integrating everything into the RM lifecycle is a bit harder, right now i'm just hijacking the main update loop, which freezes the game while the dice are rolling, but i'm sure i can find a better way. It also depends on external libraries (and old versions at that, migrating this to the current ones will be part of the goal, once i got it running as-is), though those are surprisingly quick and easy to load in.

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I was getting super stressed for a while there, but I'm feeling a lot better after today!

Today's progress:
  • All maps are done! Yay!
  • ....a celebratory nap.
Up next:
  • Finish up animations - I just have 2 idle poses, and then a couple of miscellaneous object animations to make. Nothing too crazy.
  • Finishing touches, i.e. adding fluff, fixing anything I need to, and making things pretty :LZSjoy:
  • Helping test the game!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kes I've seen Artbreeder mentioned a lot (though mostly for facesets), but have never used it. Do you have an example of a battleback you made with it?
@SmashArtist I post every day as well, so it's no problem. Good luck with the goals :)
@Amysaurus Ah, that nap sounds like so much fun. Seems like you guys are nearing the end.
@Finnuval Congrats, that's amazing! :D

Things done yesterday:
- Tested and fixed bugs while playing. It's pretty fun MZ lets you do that. I'm so used to XP and having to note everything down on what to fix later.
- Replaced some graphic placeholders.
- I finished the graphics for a puzzle, now I just need to actually add them in the game.

Goals for today:
- Add NPCs in the other areas.
- Find music.
- Test, fix and polish.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Hullo, all centered on that Blender ship now re-learning 3D.

I would so much tag everyone because I am impressed by your progress rythm.

I got 100h+ now on that ship and tunel vision a weeeee bit.
Despite the AC the heat is strong here and I have to let the computer chill out once a while.

Oh and on a personal scale, small progress in my lab and appartment about space making, DC survived the heat and her 18years. licked my finger dipped in kombusha since if she was human she would have the drinking age in Canada. (But in lady cat age, at her size and weight, she might had busted the human equivalent of 150+ years. I wish I was in THAT physical condition if I survived 100 years as a human in human years LOL.) she also got her neck around my tailor scisors and... got a neck haircut as gift too. MrC is now kinda mid-aged now and less of a pest when it is time to sculpt is andamantium type of corkscrew claws. I might lie 70% in exaggerating here, but he got one of his very many thumbs cut by the SPCA before we met. I am afraid that by anyone else, he would get the claw ablation treatment. OWW ow Ow Oow! Good I know how to use blades.

When I open Blender I'll do a picture of that 3D ship. ^^

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@slimmmeiske2 Here is a couple of examples. Artbreeder can be used for open landscapes, woodland, beach, that sort of thing. I've haven't managed (so far) to produce a good enough cave. Neither have been re-sized for Ace yet.

SAMPLE.jpg

sample 2.jpg

EDIT
Somehow the second one escaped the Spoiler. Now in there.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ukeo