Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Progress from yesterday:
Decided to focus on the new story. I came up with gameplay elements and the outlines for the story.
Resource-wise, I'm going with tall sprites, so I spend some time yesterday figuring out which ones to go with. In the end, I picked the Dark Fantasy MV/Tonbi's, as there were a lot of premade sprites already in that style. Of course, instead of using any of those premade ones (and save myself time), I used generator parts for the hair and drew the outfits myself. :kaoswt2: I'm super pleased with the result though:
1657029570686.png1657029605824.png
Our MC follows these two siblings deep into the woods.
On a side note, I've been thinking this style (which is the child base + some small edits by me), would be great as a replacement for the RTP and a nice middle between the cutesy RTP chibis and the tall Tonbi sprites.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've made some nice progress in my post apocalyptic game, The Wastes.
  • I finally settled on using one currency instead of 2 because it's simpler and won't cause exploits with my scripts.
  • I made a ton of icons for bullet types and ammo boxes that are all based on real designs. It'll be fun to see if anyone can tell what they are supposed to be.
  • My radiation system is finally where I want it. There are three environmental radiation levels, the highest being equivalent to the amount gained per second during the debris removal from Chernobyl's rooftop, 128 mSv (millisievert) per second! To put that into perspective, you can gain 10,000 mSv until you instantly die in-game, but by 6000 mSv you'll have fatal radiation poisoning, unless you remove radiation. I have multiple items that treat radiation poisoning, generally based on real life. One of them, Potassium Iodide, prevents environmental radiation gain for 30 seconds. That was a real pain in the butt to get working.
  • I tweaked my mutation system so it's more along the lines of S.T.A.L.K.E.R, with things like skin callouses or hyperactive cell metabolism instead of more crazy ones like growing wings or sucker feet.
  • I added dusty wind.
  • I'm redesigning all the outside maps so they are large and seamless, similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R, with a world map like Fallout 1/2.
  • You can owe debt to the main force in power, The Government. If you are in debt you can't access their services like weapon repair or their quest boards until you pay it back.
  • Besides what I've listed, lots and lots of brainstorming. There's also some minor things I probably forgot.

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
here a hint how I progress now ^^
whitecat.gifwhitecat2.gifwhitecat3.gif
it's a cat! XD
I have to do the other side and the rear now I just made the second and third bigger in Aseprite.

Ack I just realised the angle is wrong on the side, I think everyone does the mistake to abandon bird eye view switching to profile while animating side walking movement Ack!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No update for a couple days as I took a couple days off. Kinda hard to focus when everyone around you is setting off loud BOOMS.

Also on another note feel free to post IGMC progress on this thread too.

devisous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First post on this thread,
Today I worked on ideas and more visual effects.. I added simple light/godray effects as well as fogs for a perpetually rainy lake area of my game. Trying to make the RTP look good is hard.. :kaoswt2:

I also made the decision to split my game into "Part 1" and "Part 2", Part 2 taking place after a timeskip just to make the game's story a tad bit easier to follow.. before the story was convoluted with basically no character growth. Now with the timeskip between the two parts the story and gameplay isn't lame, and the two main characters have the chance to grow from being itty bitty babies to mature heroes, determined to save the world.

Some people on my "Dev Team" have suggested animated videos that replace the intro, end, and the scene in between the two parts. I love this idea, but making animations is expensive and we have like.. 0 funds. I also cannot draw for the life of me :kaoeh:

I did use the character generator to make post-timeskip versions of all the main characters, i'll attach them to a later post though.

All in all, I decided to make my game because I wanted to tell a story and game development has been something I have been interested in for a loooooong time, and I've been working on my dream game for months.. I think starting it only 6 months after first starting RPGMaking was a mistake, but so far so good! I want to get the game out by the end of this year, or this time next year. That is my goal. :kaojoy:
(I also love these kaomojis oml)

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For some reason I never seem to post updates often in here...Anyway here it goes...

I'm done with the yakuza initiation quest! it has 3 or 4 different methods of completion. Today I've been working on what happens after the player chooses to join or not.

Brainstorming important figures in the yakuza and triads, including their positions and relations. Also brainstorming about factions themselves.

Making more weapons and cyberware! Traditional Japanese and Chinese melee weapons, street weapons like sledgehammers, more guns like an Uzi and Jericho 941 (obviously with different names in-game), a bunch of illegal cyberware including experimental military cyberware, and more!

Mapping and more mapping in the Saikhon district...Still not done!

Reorganized my excel spreadsheet to have six pages instead of just clumping everything onto one.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sooo, I decided to join IGMC... SO EXCITED. AND SCARED. :kaoswt2: My first ever game jam ever! And my first complete game ever, if I make it out alive!

To lower my bar (and 'cuz I'm behind the curve :kaoswt:) I decided to just do summat crappy, and since sex things are out, why not do something poop-related? :biggrin: So, working title: Alice's poop game. :kaoluv: (NOT a humor game y'all, poop is serious.)

Things done so far: basic outline for a story, whipped up a crappy tileset, gonna be 8-bit crappiness LIKE SO, also some gameplay elements relating to flowers figured out. Game currency gonna be SEEDS. :kaoluv:

Things I mortally dread: sound design (probably gonna skimp on this like a screaming heck), battle system maybe? Might end up ditching fights altogether :kaoswt:

Tell me I'm gonna be alright, my pulse is racing! :kaoback:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tell me I'm gonna be alright, my pulse is racing!
Let me the one who does - you're gonna be alright. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just the fact of actually finishing your game, and all that that entails, is going to be so worth it.

For my update, life is a slow plod. I've now got battle transitions back in (I still don't understand why MV and MZ took them out. It makes no sense to me.). Got a couple of other plugins working how I want them.

Tiles, and more tiles. atm I'm working on interior tiles. So many to do as MV/MZ range is a bit limited (yes, I know about Trinity). Here is a screenshot of my first interior. It's night time and our hero is being grilled about possibly being a murderer. Life's tough in RPG-Land.

In a spoiler so as not to make the thread too long to scroll through. That's a fire at the bottom, it may not look like it without the ingame flickering.
interior 01.png

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@alice_gristle Good luck! I'm sure you can do it.
@Kes Oh, tall sprites. That's a first for your games, no? They look lovely btw.

Yesterday's (and the day before) progress update on my IGMC entry:
  • Finished the brother sprite I showed above.
  • Made two placeholder maps (one for the intro, one for a flashback)
  • Made an outline of the game
  • Started writing the cutscenes (there won't be many and they won't be long)
  • Made some sketches for the puzzles in Paint
  • Searched for fonts for both the logo and in game text.
  • Went through a couple of music packs to see if I have something that fits the vibe.
While writing, I came to the conlusion to try my hand at multiple endings. As well as include some timed QTEs, like they have in Telltale games.

To do today:
  • Finish the sister sprite
  • Start spriting the witch
  • Continue writing and puzzle designing
  • Decide what style of tilesets to go with.
My last jam games all used the MZ RTP style, but I would like to use a less used style this time around. Only issue is that the ones I have either do not have all the tiles necessary for my maps or they're not 48x48. (I know I can change the size now in the new update, but my sprites are 48x48, so my tiles need to be the same.)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, tall sprites. That's a first for your games, no? They look lovely btw.
Yes, first time I've done this. Thank you - if they pass your artist's eye then I am confident that they'll be fine in the finished game.

That is a powerful lot of work you're getting through, impressive. One of the many reasons I've never entered a game jam is that I just don't work fast enough. You, however, can obviously manage it.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone, going to try and participate in this again; glad to see many familiar names still around! Its been years since I've opened up rpg maker but I saw the humble bundle deal and it got me to open it back up again and look at my old project I started in MV.

I was working on making tiles for it so I just picked up where I left off, so far this week I re-did a water auto-tile to improve it, made a rocky dirt ground auto-tile, made a campfire, a log pile, buckets to douse the fire (one empty base, one with water and one that's rusted from overuse and wear).

Next is a tent and then either some interior tiles for the tent or I may skip over it temporarily and move on to the bulk of the tiles for the next section. Haven't really done any database work so I may focus on being able to map the first section fully before getting into that and then do it all at once. Its a forest area that's abundant in apples; the player character wakes up in this strange world and begins to wander this apple filled forest to find out that its ruled by the frog king (Think I will name him Ribbert) who collects the apples for the queen of the world. The next map after the camping area is the actual frog kingdom so there should be some interesting tiles to make there. Since they are frogs its not going to be a traditional town map, they will live in large bushes, tree stumps or mushrooms (things like that) and instead of wooden bridges there will be bridges of lily pads to hop across.

fop

Secret Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is my first post in this thread. :kaohi:

As for recent progress, I figured out a weird, evented way to upgrade armor. Because the armor in my game are all visual, with different armors having different cute aesthetics, I figured it might be nice to find a way to keep old armor relevant. Like that flowery kimono? Okay, awesome! Just pay to upgrade it and you can wear it forever!

There may be a much, much easier way to achieve this, but basically what I did is make a token-style item that you can trade to an armor upgrader to upgrade your armor. I also made an item that corresponds to every piece of armor. At the start of the event, I check every piece of armor to see if it's owned or equipped and if it is, I give the player a corresponding item to that piece of armor (that I made Hidden Item A category). Then, I have the player select an item from Hidden Item A, and it adds +1 to a variable for that specific piece of armor's rank. Then, using Yanfly's Equip Core, I have the defense of a piece of armor dependent on that armor's rank variable. The higher the rank, the more defense.

So, basically, upgradeable armor! :D

TheLastYuriSamurai

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Realized my first ever released game was for the IGMC 2018, so let's see how this year's entry goes:

Main Details: Collectable Capsule Monsters used to do battle!

Progress:
Capsule Monsters (both image and battle sprite): 10/20 50%
Mapping: 0%
Music: 0%
Story: 10%
Tactical Battle System: 50%

And everyone's favorite: Screenshots! (Under a spoiler as to be less obnoxious)
Still needpre-preview.png
Still need to say... fix the icons used, finish all the capsule monsters, exchange battle rating for say Range Example, but we are GETTING THERE

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
7.9.2022 Update:

-Spent today rebalancing skills now that I've a little into dev and have seen what is and isn't working. Got that done.
-Wrote two parts of the proper intro today, and mapped half a map for it. I call it half a map as apparently I need to organize some of my interior tiles and set them up like I did in ACE. Got that done too but was too tired to finish mapping the kitchen. May return to that after a break.

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Juno lives in a floating island. When she needs to grab some food, she has to go down below. Her method, however, is... unorthodox.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Currently developing this game for IGMC 2022. I'm super hyped!

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alice's IGMC Progress:

-story is takin' shape, now all I gotta do is write, event, and test it :kaoswt:
-mapping DONE (my tileset looks like crap but is SO FAST :biggrin:)
-all graphics in place... I think? Gonna bite my hand so I won't make any more! :kaoangry:
-rudimentary demon-pestering battle system is place! Bosses still left to do tho
-music and sound design: Z E R O :kaoswt2:

I think I have some weird ars subtilior pieces somewhere tho, gonna see how those fit!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Some progress update as I took a few days off (whoops):
  • Finished the sister sprite
  • Started on the witch sprite. I can't decide which looks better when it comes to her hair:
    leftwitch.pngorrightwitch.png
  • Continued writing and puzzle designing. Not completely done, which is a shame as that was one of my goals for last week.
  • Decided what style of tilesets to go with:
    2022-07-07 (5).png
(Just a try-out map.)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
7.10 and 7.11 Update:
-Added some NPCs and polished some early dialogues.
-Set up more icons. Which meant looking through the like 5000+ icons Avery and others have and finding ones I liked and fit the game and matched well and....

Anyways 3 hours later I finally got the status menu set up.

24_Hours_Status_Menu.png

misterdovah

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
- Came back to makering.
- Upgrade projects.
- Join events (like the ones I did here and more).
- Dive more in gamedev knowledge.
- Appreciate more my maker-pals works.

====Still working in ======

- Join a jam (maybe IGMC will be this one).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_8_19_2022_8_51_4.png
Both Mike and Ray here are in a "HYPE!" state after Mike uses "Wild Party", which also heals everyone. they'll do more damage and counter more often, but defense is lower along with hit rate.
WHEEL3.gif
Ooker spookers and fun attack mechanics! What a Friday!
Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.
I'm only missing 2 more bgms for my game but maaaaan, searching for these tracks is killing me. Can't find anything good to replace MZ's Theme 2 and Scene 5 I have as placeholders. Everything is too epic or too evil or too alarming. That 'scene 5' track in particular would fit nicely with my scene. Well, at least I finally figured what my last click-fest of a gameplay element will be like, so something positive :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxx042