2D Fixed Direction (Horizontal & Vertical)

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Introduction:
This plugin forces the player to only face left/right (or up/down depending on your preference) while still allowing full directional movement.
Similar to player movement featured in Platformers, Brawler/Beat'em Ups, Adventure games and even retro racing games.

Features:
  • Players will only face left or right (or up and down)
  • Players can still move all four directions

How to use:
  • Add the plugin to your game and turn ON!

Preview:
HorizDirFixDemo.gif
(Horizontal Fixed Direction)

VertDirFixDemo.gif
(Vertical Fixed Direction with Galv's diagonal movement)

FYI: Preview (player) sprite courtesy of McSundae's Tall Sprites Zombie Sprites thanks to xcom's ZOMBIES!

Demo:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B0BIQ-L7fKz-aG00RXdobnk0LVk

(I recommend downloading the demo instead of using the plugins as the demo is event based and allows you to turn the direction lock on/off
*On another note, you'll notice the demo file is unbelievably small, that is because I've stripped the project down to only the most necessary files, in the end the project size is only 7MB WOW!!!)
Special thanks to Kest for inspiring me to actually figure this out!

Plugin:

View attachment FixedDirectionHorizontal.js

View attachment FixedDirectionVertical.js

(Click spoiler for Horizontal fix raw text)
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// 2D Fixed Direction (Horizontal)

/*:
* @plugindesc Only allows player to face left or right (even when moving up or down). Example uses Platformer or Brawler/Beat'em Ups.
* @author Quasi Site: http://quasixi.com
* @Help This plugin does not provide plugin commands.
*/

(function() {
var Alias_Game_CharacterBase_setDirection = Game_CharacterBase.prototype.setDirection;
Game_CharacterBase.prototype.setDirection = function(d) {
if (d === 4 || d === 6) {
Alias_Game_CharacterBase_setDirection.call(this, d);
}
};
}());

(Click spoiler for Vertical fix raw text)
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// 2D Fixed Direction (Vertical)
/*:
* @plugindesc Only allows player to face up or down (even when moving left or right). Example uses Infinite Runner or Top-down racers.
* @author Quasi Site: http://quasixi.com
* @Help This plugin does not provide plugin commands.
*/
(function() {
var Alias_Game_CharacterBase_setDirection = Game_CharacterBase.prototype.setDirection;
Game_CharacterBase.prototype.setDirection = function(d) {
if (d === 2 || d === 8) {
Alias_Game_CharacterBase_setDirection.call(this, d);
}
};
}());

Dependencies:
None but I highly recommend Galv's Diagonal Movement (it gives it the player movement much more fluidity- see the vertical preview above)

Known Bugs:
  • There is trouble with triggering events via the "Action Button" when standing directly below or above an event.
    I'll see if I can debug this. For the time being, an easy work around is changing the trigger to "Player Touch" (not a true fix but it's better than nothing!)

Credit/Terms of use:
Quasi; He personally gave me the plugin (he is AwEsOmE) and said I am free to do whatever I want with it, so I thought I'd share the love!

It may be used however you wish; commercial or non-commercial. Use and abuse! No credit required.

Last edited:

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey tanks 

this work with ???

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh yeah!

Galv's extra character frames works great with this plugin

Last edited by a moderator:

?????

Developer??
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome! I was looking for a plug-in just like this! :)  thank you. 

Last edited by a moderator:

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome! I was looking for a plug-in just like this! :)  thank you. 
Your welcome!
I had also been looking for this for some time... there was a good Direction Fix for VXAce but not one for MV (at least that I'm aware of)

Anyway, you can put an end to your search and hopefully it does what you need it to do!

?????

Developer??
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ya I'm using graphics are are kind of facing front/side, and this script really saves time on resources (so I don't have to worry about up and down) 

i have a suggestion tho just something I randomly thought of, maybe allow for there to be territain tags where up (or down) works, for let's say, a "climbing the latter" effect 

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Definitely! That front/side hybrid view (what is that called anyway?) looks especially good with the direction fix. I think it adds more depth and gives it much more of a true "platformer" feel. It is such a simple thing, but it took me forever to figure that out... Here was a helpful post I found from fulifuli:
http://fulifuli.tumblr.com/post/121029915020/can-you-do-a-tutorial-on-animating-pixel-walking

You made a good point about the terrain tags, I'll have to try that. I'm messing around with the plugin and with event triggers- For some strange reason while you can still move up and down, you aren't technically "facing" up or down (because the actual act of facing up and down are replaced by left/right, if that makes sense) which is the trouble I'm running into, where you must be facing up to trigger an event directly above you; however, since this plugin replaces "facing up" you can't actually do that. I'm also working on a way to turn the direction fix off with a plugin command, which would come in very handy I'm sure! Unfortunately, I'm still very new at javascript and even that is proving to be a task for me! So if anyone would like to take a stab at it, I would be eternally grateful ;)

white90

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italiano
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice plugin! i'll try to use it now the side-view!
But i need the player face up just when he interact with some object (for more realism), with the classic move event isn't working.

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah the ladder movement, is a little tricky... I've been messing with a few things (to no avail) but I think I might be onto something!!

Kest

The Ecstasy of Gold
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is it possible to enable this for certain events?

pEcOsGhOsT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is it possible to enable this for certain events?
Sorry about the late reply! You inspired me to actually sit down and figure this out... And as it turns out- you really don't even need to use plugins at all. Since a simple Script call in an event can make the change for you. Although it is quite easy to do, I figured I probably wouldn't explain it very well so instead I made a very simple demo:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B0BIQ-L7fKz-aG00RXdobnk0LVk
(Just a quick note the reason the file size is so small is because I removed almost all of the resources, basically it's just a map with the event you need to copy and paste into your game)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Are there examples of MV games that emulate retro graphics? By that I mean 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, a smaller resolution and scaled up screen
Pft... people think the moon landing is fake. Nonsense. The moon doesnt even exist in the first place, it's just the reflection of the earth on the surface of space.
I don't know if anyone will get my old pop culture references. Item: Empty Basket. Description: Don't worry. Yogi Bear won't try to steal it.
My second childrens book is finally uploaded and approved and available to buy! I am so happy!
I just realized I passed 1,000 likes. I'm amazed you people actually like this crap. It's no surprise you'd like my high quality content. :kaopride:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Etawaha